PDA

View Full Version : zank, richie, fstr, hayes...all you 'cross dudes....

Dr. Doofus
01-22-2006, 09:09 PM
doof likes riding his crappy 'cross

hugeass park basically in his backyard

fun for all ages

convenient

hard

but

richie says no ride the cross bike during the road season

some ride the mountain bike during the road season

maybe train one day a week the cross bike?

is that the dumb?

me have the lucky

shinomaster
01-23-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm kind of a space cadet and forgot that cross was coming up so quickly last fall.. So I didn't do any miles on my cross turtle until....oh maybe late September? BAD idea...I should have been training on that bike back in august .

e-RICHIE
01-23-2006, 06:47 AM
richie says no ride the cross bike during the road season

did not yo.
i would ride for fun but correct
position to that of "road" so that
muscle groups don't get doofed up.

riding and training are not the same thing imho cheers. :beer:

Hysbrian
01-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah what e-richie said! The cross bike can be a lifesaver when the weather goes south. I need to build one of mine back up cause we just got 3inches of snow, but whatever.

But yeah just make it as close to your road posistion as you can, drop the bars and such.

i.m.o. cross is cool all year!

p.s. When class isn't in session I ride on campus, and bunny hop the curbs and ride all over everything!

e-RICHIE
01-23-2006, 07:54 AM
p.s. When class isn't in session I ride on campus, and bunny hop the curbs and ride all over everything!

all of the sudden i feel ill...

Dr. Doofus
01-23-2006, 08:27 AM
talkin about doing one hard workout a week on the 'cross

the right knee lets doof know when his saddle drops 2-3mm...and the saddle is the same as on the roadie anyway (knee again)

how 'bout them bars? they're 2cm higher than on the roadie, but how much shorter should the reach be? doof's back is kinda sore from being scrunched like a munchkin

Hysbrian
01-23-2006, 08:47 AM
all of the sudden i feel ill...

yo- its not what you think! I've got a good track on campus! One of the best around, stairs and everything, there is just too many people so I never get to use it. KOP.

talkin about doing one hard workout a week on the 'cross

I don't know how well a cross' style workout would translate to the road. I would think that it would be a little counter productive.

Unless you're talking about do a HARD ride, just on a cross bike, then thats differrent. If you have some good fire roads and such that you can ride the cross bike on, then that might be good, but I wouldn't see the need to do a hard ride on the cross bike when you can do it on the road.

how 'bout them bars? they're 2cm higher than on the roadie, but how much shorter should the reach be? doof's back is kinda sore from being scrunched like a munchkin

I had some issues with my fit at the start of the season. It ended with me lowering my seat, moving it back, and moving my cleat back. Now I feel 100% better and it seems that this has translated to a much much better (more powerful) posistion on my road bike.

Dr. Doofus
01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Unless you're talking about do a HARD ride, just on a cross bike, then thats differrent. If you have some good fire roads and such that you can ride the cross bike on, then that might be good, but I wouldn't see the need to do a hard ride on the cross bike when you can do it on the road.

doof needs variety, especially when may rolls around and he's been riding on the road since Nov 1...its warm here, doof's allergies dictate a April or May peak....so some 'cross may help..even if its not exactly the same position as the roadie

Hysbrian
01-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Well yeah it would help then. Tailor it to your needs though, no need to be doing dismounts in Feb.

coylifut
01-23-2006, 10:11 AM
doof needs variety, especially when may rolls around and he's been riding on the road since Nov 1...its warm here, doof's allergies dictate a April or May peak....so some 'cross may help..even if its not exactly the same position as the roadie

Why not? I once saw Shannon Skerit win match sprints on a Friday night, a road race on Saturday and a mountain bike race on Sunday. Three different bikes, 3 different postions - nice hat-trick.

and is your cross postion really that different? My saddle is about 1/2 cm lower and my bars are up 2 cms, but considering one spends time on the tops, drops and hoods of the bike, will the difference in your trunk angle for a few hours a week ruin your road suplese? If your circuit required a lot of running, I think it would be an issue, but if it's flowing around the woods getting a feel for how your bike handles on dirt, I see no harm.

I guess you have to ask your self if you are a bike rider or a bike racer?

zank
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Doofman, sorry to come late to the party. I love riding my cross bike in the woods all year. Especially later in the summer when the same old trails could use a freshening-up. The rides tend to be pretty hard. It's great fun and really helps the handling skills. I say enjoy all of your bikes all year round!