PDA

View Full Version : San Marco regal differences?

vqdriver
12-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Are there differences in padding and size or is it just different rails and covers?

christian
12-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Some difference in padding between legacy Girardi models and newer Regal models (newer Racing Team ones are slightly firmer) and Regale are slightly firmer still, but basically all the same saddle. If one is comfortable, the rest will be good as well.

vqdriver
12-17-2013, 02:20 PM
thanks.

merckx
12-17-2013, 04:49 PM
The original Girardi has the most padding and is considered by some as the most comfortable Regal iteration. The newer steel railed Regals seem to have a bit more padding than the titanium railed version. Dig your thumbs into a pair and you may agree. I am not that familiar with the newer Regale models. I had one a few years ago and it seemed flatter than the Regal models. It was not my cup of Anchor Steam Porter. I have four Girardis that will come to the grave with me. On a tangent, I recently fixed a Brooks C17 to my single speed. It is very Regal like with about a centimeter extra width. It also has a bit of additional flex that damps chatter well. It is perfect for my single speed application. I may give it a chance on my road machines, but the Girardis may have the last word.

Climb01742
12-17-2013, 05:35 PM
My butt agrees.;) the older, classic regals have a bit more give to them, while the newer regale saddles are firmer. Maybe it's just familiarity but the classic riveted regals feeler better to me. Plus, what's cooler than the rivets?:p

christian
12-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Agree with Merckx and Climb but also did a 12-hour race this year on a carbon-railed Regale with no discomfort. The Regale shell is stiffer but the shape is very similar and very good.

gmcampy
12-18-2013, 01:00 PM
i have both and prefer the ti railed firm ride.....but that one is so cracked from exposure and use its almost done :(