PDA

View Full Version : Take down bikes...

Catulle
01-22-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a good friend from Virginia who has been wanting to come to Panama, where I live, to ride from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast and back in one day. The whole trip is about 120 miles on a rather narrow and pretty worn out road with a great deal of traffic, including trucks and buses. There is one pretty steep and long climb on the way back from the Atlantic side. He has been here before so he knows the road.

Anyway, for the trip, and for other overseas trips, he has his eyes fixed on the Ritchey take down bike. I checked the bike out on the Ritchey web site and the system they use for taking the bike apart seems very well thought out. Actually, from the pictures, it seems neater and lighter than using a coupler. Of course, it seems to me that there isnīt a great deal of difference between traveling with a regular bike and traveling with a take down bike; however, I would like to know what are your views regarding take down bikes in general, and the Ritchey bike in particular.

Thank you.

Ken Robb
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I took a short ride on the Ritchey and couldn't tell it from a regular nice bike. It isn't obvious that it is a take-down bike either. I think you can buy the system alone to use on a bike of your choice too.

eddief
01-22-2006, 07:50 PM
the airport security. I am fairly sure both main approaches to coupling will ride just fine. As would a properly fitting funny Bike Friday. The bigger deal is taking apart, packing, the TSA, praying for safe shipment, putting it back together when you arrive.

I will do my first trip next week and believe it will just be great to have a bike in CA desert in Feb.

zeroking17
01-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I have a good friend from Virginia who has been wanting to come to Panama, where I live, to ride from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast and back in one day. The whole trip is about 120 miles on a rather narrow and pretty worn out road with a great deal of traffic, including trucks and buses. There is one pretty steep and long climb on the way back from the Atlantic side. He has been here before so he knows the road.
Thank you.

I know that road! Or at least I knew it as it was 35 years ago. I was studying at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute on Barro Colorado and one day a bunch of us finagled an old pickup, piled in the back, and set out to journey from the Atlantic to the Pacific in a single day. (Actually, both oceans looked about the same to us;-)

P.S. Would love to hear some of the cycling in Panama stories that you alluded to in another thread. Thanks.

Catulle
01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
. (Actually, both oceans looked about the same to us;-)
[/QUOTE]

Barro Colorado is a very important forest research preserve. It is a beautiful island akin to Noah's Arc.

Actually, the Atlantic and the Pacific are very different oceans, at least from the perspective of the shore and for fishing (and for an ignorant dude such as me). Tides on the Pacific recede a great deal deal whereas tides on the Atlantic are hardly noticeable. Here you find beautiful sandy beaches on the Pacific, while the Atlantic coast is rocky and shallow. The water on the Atlantic is crystal clear, almost like bottled water, and water on the Pacific is deep and dark. Game fish such as sailfish is much larger on the Pacific. You will find in Panama, however, many species of the Atlantic on the Pacific as they have managed to migrate by way of the canal; tarpon being one of them.

If my friend Jim comes for the cross country ride, I'll post pictures. I might post a picture of me at the start of the ride (as posting one at the end of the ride might be too shameful).

:beer:

gone
01-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Of course, it seems to me that there isnīt a great deal of difference between traveling with a regular bike and traveling with a take down bike;

Thank you.

I'm guessing from this statement that you've never travelled with a bike (forgive me if I'm mistaken) but I've travelled with a full size bike in an appropriate sized case and IMHO, it's like travelling with a dead body. Hauling a full size bike case through airports and on/off trains along with even a moderate amount of luggage (I travel pretty light) is a major pain. Not to mention dealing with the unexpected (elevators/escalators out, lifts too small for the bike case, taxi's that can't accommodate a large case) along with the airline upcharge (and they're all doing it these days, even on international flights) all combine to make travelling with a full size bike a major PITA.

With any kind of take-down bike you do have the issue of disassembly and reassembly to deal with that you don't have to the same degree with a full size bike (depends on the bike size & the case). You also have the issue of lost/broken parts which you have with a full size bike as well. I can disassemble and pack my bike in about 20 minutes and reassemble it in about the same time. As to lost parts, I've mitigated this somewhat by buying a bunch of nylon storage bags with mesh fronts that the TSA can see through. They tend to look and see what's in there and not open them.

As I said, I've travelled a good deal with both and give me a take-down bike every time.

Greg

Catulle
01-25-2006, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=ghsmith54]I'm guessing from this statement that you've never travelled with a bike

Indeed, I've never traveled with a bike. I've traveled with guns several times, but never with a bicycle. I appreciate your answer very much because I've been considering the possibility of traveling with a bike. Now I'll be much more careful about taking the decision to travel with a bike in haste. Thank you.

jerk
01-25-2006, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=ghsmith54]I'm guessing from this statement that you've never travelled with a bike

Indeed, I've never traveled with a bike. I've traveled with guns several times, but never with a bicycle. I appreciate your answer very much because I've been considering the possibility of traveling with a bike. Now I'll be much more careful about taking the decision to travel with a bike in haste. Thank you.

guns with folding stocks?

jerk

Catulle
01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=jerk][QUOTE=Catulle]

guns with folding stocks?

Hell no..!! Just shotguns and air rifles. If I've managed to keep my hide so far, I expect to keep it at least until I get a red bike from e-RICHIE. :beer: