PDA

View Full Version : C-50 and 585 - ride differences?

wooly
01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey all. It's Sunday afternoon. Nothing to do (kids are napping). Boredom is setting in. This is a dangerous time. It's when I start thinging about bike and my next purchase. I've come to wonder what the ride characteristic differences would be between the Colnago C50 and the Look 585.

I have a c50 and love it. It's one of the keepers. I've cycled through a lot of frames in the years and I made the mistake of selling a C40 years ago. I picked the C50 up last year and it's just like I remember the C40 but a little stiffer.

I walked into a shop last week and saw the Credit Agricole version (white) 585. It looked sweet. And I wondering if the ride would be different enough for a neurotic bike nut to justify having another carbon frame. It would definately be lighter than the C50, although it's no slouch. Give me your thoughts. Talk me out of it OR feed my sickness.

Here's my C50 for reference. The white Look would be a nice contrast.

vaxn8r
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I've considered many times of getting not just a second CF bike (though I already have 2 so it would be a third I guess) but getting a second Calfee Tetra Pro. How sick is that?

If you have the dough it would be fun. I like having multiple good road bikes. Do you need a napkin now?

wooly
01-22-2006, 07:50 PM
But so am I. I guess that's why we frequent this site, huh? I've got a Parlee Z1 in a box so I guess this would be my third too! I'll probably have to sell the Parlee to get the Look though. Thanks for mentioning Calfee! Haven't tried that yet. For now, I'm into sloping carbon like the Look.

jerk
01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
the look is a little lighter and a little springier. it doesn't have quite the rigidity of the c50 but it's torsionally more rigid than a time. you'll like it; but it isn't a c50!

jerk

vaxn8r
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
What's wrong with the Parlee? I thought that was supposed to be a killer bike?

So many good bikes...so little time...

1centaur
01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey, I have 5 CF bikes and a Look 585 in Credit Agricole white is incoming. Why? One of a kind paint job that won't get repeated with the clever CF stencil, plus Look has a rep for good engineering but they were always too heavy - now they're not. The 585 won a multi-bike (like 10) comparo from British cycling mag last summer as the ideal all-rounder.

However, if you want to have your buying lust cooled a little (maybe), head on over to weightweenies and read the thread about Tour magazine's numerical testing of light bikes for stiffness and comfort. The Look is mid-pack with a Time and a Scott CR1, while a Canyon and a Cervelo R3 produce a whole different order of numbers. Not saying that stiffness is all one wishes for in a bike, but you can view the Look as a transitional item that will quickly get behind the curve, if you wish. I really like interesting paint jobs, so the numbers mean less to me.

Frustration
01-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Having owned both the 50 and the 585, It would depend on what you like...

You say you loved the 40 and the 50 is the same but stiffer... The 585 would be some place in between the 40 and 50.

If you like the bit of extra stiffness don't waste the Money.