PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a V-brake compatible suspension fork.

Tony
12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
My Rock Shox Judy SL is done. Looking for a suspension fork with 80-100 mm of travel. Is there a decent fork available that's V-brake compatible? Looking at the Manitou Minute Expert and the Manitou R7 Pro? Both available with v-brake bosses.

sales guy
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Stay away from the Manitou forks. They've been having issues the last couple years. A good one is an older Sid. You can find them ebay. Same with judy Sls. Another choice, is the cheap xc30tk or xc32tk by rock Shox. They weigh a friggin ton.

I would suggest getting the parts and just rebuilding it. They have the parts still. Or like I said, find one on eBay.

You can get nice SIDS on there right now. I have a Judy fsx if you're interested. Beautiful fork. Rebuilt and perfect.

ergott
12-16-2013, 07:31 PM
You are better off upgrading from brake to mechanical disc along with the fork. You will get better braking and won't be limited to fork choice.

FYI, I have a fork in the classifieds. I can throw in an Avid BB7 brake with the fork for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

pdmtong
12-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Stay away from the Manitou forks. They've been having issues the last couple years. A good one is an older Sid. You can find them ebay. Same with judy Sls. Another choice, is the cheap xc30tk or xc32tk by rock Shox. They weigh a friggin ton.

I would suggest getting the parts and just rebuilding it. They have the parts still. Or like I said, find one on eBay.

You can get nice SIDS on there right now. I have a Judy fsx if you're interested. Beautiful fork. Rebuilt and perfect.

+1 fwiw
the v-brake suspension fork train has long since left the station.

either do a rebuild or change to BB7

vqdriver
12-16-2013, 07:41 PM
if you're i the market for new, quality pickings are slim to none (that i know of). better off buying a good fork used. i did something similar a few years back. i found an older fox that had been PUSHED by the previous owner and it was in great shape. lowers were nicked to hell but the stanchions and internals were perfect.

not easy to find, but they are out there. if your wheel is disc ready, you could make the jump to disc. otherwise you'll have to factor in the cost of a compatible wheel.

sales guy
12-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Be careful of the Fox forks though. They have/had issues with the seals blowing out. Sounds like a gun going off. The leg will lose all the air and then you're f'ed. A friend had it happen this year. Fork had about 30 miles total on it when it went. Called up fox, took two weeks to get a response and get parts sent out. They offered to do it, for 100 bucks minimum. And 3 to 4 weeks for turn around. I was super disappointed.

bewheels
12-17-2013, 03:36 AM
All fork manufacturers have had issues over the years. You will find stories about every brand doing this or that. This means you will be taking a risk buying a used fork but no more risk then buying anything used. I would look on your local Craig's list so that you can see it in person before buying.

stien
12-17-2013, 05:59 AM
I was in the same situation. I got my SID rebuilt by Suspension Experts for less than the cost of a used fork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Tony
12-17-2013, 09:47 AM
I didn't realize that so many things have changed since I purchased my Judy SL. Now that I'm riding again and enjoying mtb I want a decent fork. I'm going to keep looking on Craig's list, I like the idea of checking out the fork before buying.
Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!

vqdriver
12-17-2013, 11:51 AM
you didn't mention the year, but if your's is of the elastomer era, weren't there coil spring conversions? that should breathe new life into your judy. it won't compare to a modern day fork, but could buy you a year or two of happy riding.

Tony
12-17-2013, 03:22 PM
you didn't mention the year, but if your's is of the elastomer era, weren't there coil spring conversions? that should breathe new life into your judy. it won't compare to a modern day fork, but could buy you a year or two of happy riding.

Around 10 years ago I did a coil spring conversion using a white brothers spring. I also replaced the cartridge with a new one from rock shox. I think the old one was plastic, replaced with a alloy cartridge.
Thanks!

terry
12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
I've got a Magura that has been very reliable. I've got a Seven Sola i can't part with that is v-brake only. It was tough finding v-brake 80mm fork and it seems the Magura is a pretty decent air fork with good control and smooth action.