PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for a $750 hybrid - quick!

d_douglas
12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
As the office bike pimp, my colleague is about to buy acommuter type bike for his wife for Christmas. Before he buys, I said I would gather a bit of info for him.

1) max: $750
2) his wife is fairly fit - maybe 5'5" and 120-130lbs - early 30s.
3) she is a nurse - rides to work and burns around with their two little boys on weekends.

4) pretty. He is/we are designer nerds and he wants it to be stylish. He eyed up a pale blue Trek and a matte white Trek that he thought was cool.
5) flat bar setup. The light blue one has a drop bar and I think its a bad idea.
6) flat pedals/fenders (add-on, obviously)
7) I am a disc brake advocate - basic Avid discs would be my preference.
8) Geared - not SS

So, given these conditions, does anyone have advice on what to look for? We are in Canada, so selection might be a bit different than the US, but likely mostly the same. I assume that your garden variety Trek/Spec/Giant is likely in order.

Thanks for yoru quick replies.

rwsaunders
12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
We purchased the blue bike (Globe Haul 2 by S) when my daughter went to college in the Fall of 2012. She uses it in all but icy conditions and it's held up well in a cold and wet environment. There is now a basket attached to the integrated rear rack for books etc.

The other bike (Globe Daily 3 by S) is my wife's path rider. She liked my daughter's bike very much but she didn't need the disc brakes and the rear, integrated rack. Both are aluminum, both have a single crank with internal 8 speed hub and they were around $700-850 each.

pdmtong
12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I think Breezer offers great value in commuter bikes.

oldpotatoe
12-16-2013, 01:21 PM
As the office bike pimp, my colleague is about to buy acommuter type bike for his wife for Christmas. Before he buys, I said I would gather a bit of info for him.

1) max: $750
2) his wife is fairly fit - maybe 5'5" and 120-130lbs - early 30s.
3) she is a nurse - rides to work and burns around with their two little boys on weekends.

4) pretty. He is/we are designer nerds and he wants it to be stylish. He eyed up a pale blue Trek and a matte white Trek that he thought was cool.
5) flat bar setup. The light blue one has a drop bar and I think its a bad idea.
6) flat pedals/fenders (add-on, obviously)
7) I am a disc brake advocate - basic Avid discs would be my preference.
8) Geared - not SS

So, given these conditions, does anyone have advice on what to look for? We are in Canada, so selection might be a bit different than the US, but likely mostly the same. I assume that your garden variety Trek/Spec/Giant is likely in order.

Thanks for yoru quick replies.

Linus or Public.

Schmed
12-16-2013, 01:31 PM
IMNSHO...

5) flat bar setup. The light blue one has a drop bar and I think its a bad idea. Agree!

7) I am a disc brake advocate - basic Avid discs would be my preference. Agree - smaller (weaker?) hands are a natural fit for disc brakes.

Maybe a 35c or wider slick?

Don't forget weight. I'd probably swap "pretty" for "5 lbs lighter" if that choice was on the table.

And... fender rack mounts - riding with a backpack is a hassle.

Schmed
12-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Do you get Jamis bikes in Canada? Coda Elite on sale would be good. They also make a Femme Coda, but no disc brakes.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xXnIGRxDyQ0/TRfH9T0VyAI/AAAAAAAAEuI/9R0nu354C3A/s1600/11_codaelite.jpg

d_douglas
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
We purchased the blue bike (Globe Haul 2 by S) when my daughter went to college in the Fall of 2012. She uses it in all but icy conditions and it's held up well in a cold and wet environment. There is now a basket attached to the integrated rear rack for books etc.

The other bike (Globe Daily 3 by S) is my wife's path rider. She liked my daughter's bike very much but she didn't need the disc brakes and the rear, integrated rack. Both are aluminum, both have a single crank with internal 8 speed hub and they were around $700-850 each.

I love that blue Globe - but they dont make those anymore. That vintage of Specialized commuters were very cool.

My colleague is pretty hung up on style, sadly.

I helped him buy a $150 rigid Rocky Mountain Hammer a few months ago for himself. It is bomber and he rides to work all the time now, but curses that it is ugly (which is mostly true).

Thanks, Pete - I like the Linus ones and there is a local, nearby seller, but he wants less 'classic' and more flash.

Netdewt
12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
My wife just bought herself a Specialized Vita Elite. I tried to steer her to a road bike, but she wanted this. I have to admit, it is a nice ride. Comfy, precise, shifts pretty well, carbon fork, and not total bottom of the barrel parts. This is exactly the bike she got - exactly the color she wanted and everything. I was jealous of her satisfaction. :)

We shopped Giant and Trek also. Neither of them had hybrids as nice as this.

JAGI410
12-16-2013, 01:45 PM
I'd probably swap "pretty" for "5 lbs lighter" if that choice was on the table.

All of my bikes reflect this method of bike purchase.

I like the Cannondale Althea or Felicity.

alessandro
12-16-2013, 02:04 PM
As the office bike pimp,

Nice title!

ORMojo
12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Since some of the criteria are subjective, in addition to those already mentioned, I'll just list one more potential source that I have had very good luck with, and I and my wife have enjoyed bikes from: Civia.

If there was room above that $750 max, I would strongly suggest looking at the Norco Indie Alfine. Alfine 8 with discs, etc. that you can find for around $950. The Nexus-8 IGH version is right at $750 MSRP, but is only disc on the front, v-brake on the rear. I have had several rides on the Alfine-equipped bike (and the Alfine 11, and Di2 Alfine 11 versions), and was very satisfied. And it is Canadian! (To stay within the budget, also look to the externally geared versions of the Indie - they do come with disc brakes.)

Schmed
12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
How long is her commute, btw?

If it's only a few km, then style points can trump weight, etc....

http://img3.wfrcdn.com/lf/49/hash/779/7693046/1/Schwinn-Womens-Fairbrook-Cruiser-Bike.jpg

If it's 30 km each way....

http://www.cycleexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/firefly-bicycles-fnl-204-11.jpg

CNY rider
12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm the office bike pimp as well.
Several years ago one of the nurses I work with asked for help with basically the same parameters.
We ended up having her buy a Globe like rwsaunders posted.
She loved it during the time we were working together and AFAIK she still gets use out of it.
Sorry to hear they are not available. I thought it was a pretty cool bike at a nice price point.