PDA

View Full Version : OT: Darn, my single cup coffee machine broke

AngryScientist
12-16-2013, 07:27 AM
lots of smoke this morning, but no coffee! darn!

i'm sort of a coffee snob, but for morning use, i need quick and go!

i had a small brewer that allowed me to use fresh ground coffee (not k-cups or pre-packaged stuff), pour in one mug of water and brew. made pretty decent coffee for a single cup in the morning, probably because i used fresh ground, fresh sourced beans.

the one i had was a cheapy Hamilton Beach machine. didnt last long enough for me, and it's shot now.

what do i want?

mtb_frk
12-16-2013, 07:36 AM
I was looking at picking one up for Xmas. I was thinking the kuerig vue. I have never used one before and don't really like coffee, my wife though likes all the sweet fancy drinks. So I am hoping that she can find some kind mocha latte in a vue cup that she likes.

echelon_john
12-16-2013, 07:47 AM
If you like strong coffee, tough to beat this IMO.

The size (6 cups) refers to small espresso shots; this size is what you want for a decent sized cup of strong joe.

Low tech, pretty fast, and virtually unbreakable. Plus it travels well.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK

staggerwing
12-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Aeropress

crownjewelwl
12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
nespresso

fast, easy, consistent, good

dnades
12-16-2013, 08:01 AM
2nd the aeropress. great cup and nothing to go wrong with it.

Neil
12-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Aeropress for on the move, Gaggia Factory 106 for the kitchen.

CDollarsign
12-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Kalita wave or Chemex with Able Kone. Seriously, it adds 10 minutes to your morning routine if you start water boiling, then shower, then make coffee...

Throw all the k cup nespresso garbage away.

pbarry
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
If you like strong coffee, tough to beat this IMO.

The size (6 cups) refers to small espresso shots; this size is what you want for a decent sized cup of strong joe.

Low tech, pretty fast, and virtually unbreakable. Plus it travels well.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK

Yep, Bialetti moka pots are the bomb. I prefer the stainless models, purely for aesthetic reasons.

fio
12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
K Cups are immensely wasteful, both in environmental terms and in $$$ terms.

I like the Aeropress. Good for one cup use and very consistent flavor. Not good for making 2+. Haven't used it in a while because the parts and procedure can get a little tiring.

I use a Hario V60 every morning. Takes a bit more time, but I can make more than 1 cup at a time (for significant other and myself) and I can very easily control the variables. YMMV.

572cv
12-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Aeropress

Aeropress works daily in this household. Of course, we do augment it with a solid KitchenAid grinder....

slidey
12-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Aeropress

umami
12-16-2013, 12:20 PM
+1 for the Aeropress. Been using one for years. It makes strong coffee, not espresso, and not that in-between stuff that comes out of a moka pot.

Pros: Really, really good coffee. The paper filters reduce the oils somewhat, making for a smooth cup. Cleanup is as simple as holding the press over the trash/compost bin and pushing out the grounds and filter, then wiping the end clean with a rag. Total cycle time is about one minute. Cheap. Also excellent for camping.

Cons: The paper filters can be a pain to source. It's a ONE cup brewer. Low bling factor--it's not the nicest looking thing.

Neil
12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
You can get a re-usable metal filter, give it a quick wash and pack it with the Aeropress, no more problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Filter-AeroPress/dp/B0063SL2TQ

Neil
12-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Here's what I use- big grinder is standard beans, little grinder is de-caff (forgive the state of the walls, we are redecorating):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1497644_10152118896998638_1747061858_n.jpg

umami
12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I made my own stainless mesh filter once. It resulted in something more akin to French press coffee, with that slightly silty quality.

Neil
12-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I've not played around with one recently, however a lot of my friends use them everyday and the consensus seems to be that you should generally use a courser grind than you think you should do, if you see what I mean?

i.e. somewhere between a filter grind to that suitable for a French Press- not a grind fit for an espresso machine.

I'm heading back to my parents house at the end of the week and will take the small grinder with me- will experiment with my fathers Aeropress then and report back.

Bruce K
12-16-2013, 12:44 PM
I buy my own beans and grind for use in a K-cup machine

Wash the filter after each use

No waste there.

BK

OtayBW
12-16-2013, 12:46 PM
nespresso

fast, easy, consistent, good
I used to drink that all the time when I was over working in Euro. Not cheap around here, though. I'm a cup or two a day. How's that working out for you.

ean10775
12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I used to drink that all the time when I was over working in Euro. Not cheap around here, though. I'm a cup or two a day. How's that working out for you.

I just bought one for my wife this weekend as she wanted a quick, convenient, cup-at-a-time coffee maker and I don't care for the Keurig coffee I've tried. Maybe at some point the novelty will wear off, but so far I love it. The down sides are that its definitely not cheap (but cheaper than going out for coffee) and you have to get the capsules directly from Nespresso. That said, compared to the Keurig cups or the good, locally roasted whole bean coffee its doesn't seem to be THAT much more expensive and I really enjoy the coffee it makes and the lack of effort (both in terms of time and cleanup) that it takes to make it.

rwsaunders
12-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Yep, Bialetti moka pots are the bomb. I prefer the stainless models, purely for aesthetic reasons.

+1...I use it daily and it does the job....toss the grounds in the garden.

AngryScientist
12-16-2013, 01:29 PM
i do have a stovetop pot, but that's just not going to happen on a daily basis in the AM for me. ideally, i want something that worked just like what i had, but making a bit better coffee. using freshly ground beans is a must.

this bunn gets top marks on a few reviews, any input on this one>?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61-8f4W8juL._SL1500_.jpg

thegunner
12-16-2013, 01:31 PM
just had a cup made with the chemex - and it definitely is worth the 10 mins extra, although i'm definitely interested in the more 'automated' suggestions - my parents can't be bothered with the pour / stir / wait / pour / wait / pour / wait process...

jdhansen63
12-16-2013, 01:38 PM
The Aeropress is great, and if you don't want to use paper, there are some great metal filters available, like this:
http://ablebrewing.com/products/disk-coffee-filter

572cv
12-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Just as a note, particularly for, ahem, seasoned cyclists, paper filters strain out cafetrol, a contributor to high blood pressure.

SoCalSteve
12-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Bunn Trifecta MB

Expensive, but you will thank me. A finer drip cup of coffee you will not find anywhere...

And, you will need a Barratza Vario with steel burrs as well. To grind your single origin beans. Ethiopian, Kona or Jamaican work.

Enjoy!

CDollarsign
12-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Automated Chemex:http://www.ratiocoffee.com/

just had a cup made with the chemex - and it definitely is worth the 10 mins extra, although i'm definitely interested in the more 'automated' suggestions - my parents can't be bothered with the pour / stir / wait / pour / wait / pour / wait process...

ceolwulf
12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Aeropress is correct.

I almost never make coffee with anything else anymore.

My fancy grinder broke though so now I have to grind by hand for a minute with my Porlex portable hand mill. Life is so hard.

(Actually that Porlex grinds nicer than my Baratza Virtuoso. Which at present doesn't grind at all.)

ColonelJLloyd
12-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I use the following for my morning coffee.

Clever Coffee Dripper
Cuisinart burr grinder
Cuisinart electric water kettle

From start to drinking coffee is around 10 minutes.

tuxbailey
12-18-2013, 12:07 AM
I buy my own beans and grind for use in a K-cup machine

Wash the filter after each use

No waste there.

BK

+1

It is a very convenient machine for that purpose. I also use it to cook ramen :p

Neil
12-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Aeropress is correct.

I almost never make coffee with anything else anymore.

My fancy grinder broke though so now I have to grind by hand for a minute with my Porlex portable hand mill. Life is so hard.

(Actually that Porlex grinds nicer than my Baratza Virtuoso. Which at present doesn't grind at all.)

The Porlex can be paired with an electric drill (I use a DeWalt, but brand is unimportant here) to remove the effort from grinding.

Fixed
12-18-2013, 04:13 AM
cool thread you need coffee before a ride ..

i have been using a french press
but the stove top pot has caught my fancy ...
thanks for the links
cheers :o

rwsaunders
12-18-2013, 06:57 AM
The Porlex can be paired with an electric drill (I use a DeWalt, but brand is unimportant here) to remove the effort from grinding.

Cordless or bench mounted...:cool:

Gsinill
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
If I were in need, I would give it a try...
ROK Manual Espresso Maker (http://www.amazon.com/ROK-Presso-PRESSO-espresso-maker/dp/B009PM6O9U/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1387409044&sr=1-2&keywords=rok+manual+espresso+maker)

josephr
12-18-2013, 08:14 PM
c

i have been using a french press

cheers :o

don't you mean a Freedom press????

+1 on the coffee press...we have a standard model from Starbucks (think it was made by Bodum) but we've also used the coffee mug with the built in press.

Never heard of an AeroPress before this thread....I'm super happy with our current set-up, but all the acolades on the aeropress make me want to give it a try.
Joe