PDA

View Full Version : Setting up tb-14s tubeless with hutchinson atom 3s

moose8
12-15-2013, 08:53 PM
So I've been attempting this without a tremendous amount of luck so far. I have so far just put one layer of Stan's tape - what does another layer do? I didn't want to use up more tape than needed but will add another layer if I should - I just don't understand the principle behind why I should.

I also don't have a compressor - right now the tires are sitting with tubes hoping to make it easier to seat the beads. Is it a lost cause without a compressor? Sometimes I have trouble figuring out the line of e being stupid versus just not using the right tool. Seems like maybe a combo of both right now for me.

JWDR
12-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I have removed the Stans yellow tape from both my mountain wheel sets and replaced with Bontrager TLR rim strips. Neither rim is a Bontrager TLR specific rim. One is a Stan's bead, and the other is a much older Bontrager rim from 2006. Both rims hold air with a multitude of tires to include Specialized, Hutchinson, WTB and bontrager.

Although I'm not currently running tubeless on the road, my H+ Son Archetypes do have the roadless TLR rim strips in them currently working fine with tubes and I will be swapping to tubeless when my continental 4000s wear out.

doomridesout
12-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Tubeless requires a raised edge to the internal rim bed-- in other words a lower center channel and a higher rim bed around the sidewall. You will almost certainly not be able to get a TB14 to work. Road tubeless, unlike MTB tubeless, has basically no room to fudge it. Converted wheels are dangerously unlikely to be properly reliable, and there is NO way to get a non explicitly tubeless tire to seal in any case. I have two sets of TB14s and have looked at the rim bed of a friend's Archetypes and it would be a no-go in both cases. Ghetto tubeless might work at MTB pressures but there's no room to fudge it and a very scary failure mode at road pressures. Sorry, but them's the breaks.

moose8
12-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Just to clarify - these are tubeless tires. The rims certainly aren't though. If they don't work I might try on my ksyriums though since from googling it looks like people have luck with that combo.

So tubeless tires with tb-14s is a no go? I certainly have no interest in pushing safety limits.

JWDR
12-15-2013, 11:12 PM
The TLR Rim strips create a bead shelf and are designed to turn Bontrager rims to tubeless. My shop and myself have had great results running other rims tubeless.

oldpotatoe
12-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Just to clarify - these are tubeless tires. The rims certainly aren't though. If they don't work I might try on my ksyriums though since from googling it looks like people have luck with that combo.

So tubeless tires with tb-14s is a no go? I certainly have no interest in pushing safety limits.

Using tubeless tires on a non tubeless rim is a bad idea, when it comes to road wheels.....The chances of a tire deflating, burping, coming off, is high.

pcxmbfj
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Q. Wanting to do tubeless for my tubeless wheels and tires that been running with tubes.
Looking at the instructions for the Shimano tubeless stem and they don't make any reference for the small rubber ring that goes on the stem either before or after it goes through the rim.

A. Goes on top rim under valve nut.

moose8
12-16-2013, 10:28 PM
I realized I mis-posted. The tires are hutchinson fusion 3. Maybe I'll see if I can get them on my ksyriums as Leonard zinn seems to have luck with that combo.

12snap
12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
So I've been attempting this without a tremendous amount of luck so far. I have so far just put one layer of Stan's tape - what does another layer do? I didn't want to use up more tape than needed but will add another layer if I should - I just don't understand the principle behind why I should.

I also don't have a compressor - right now the tires are sitting with tubes hoping to make it easier to seat the beads. Is it a lost cause without a compressor? Sometimes I have trouble figuring out the line of e being stupid versus just not using the right tool. Seems like maybe a combo of both right now for me.

The 1st layer of Stan's tape seals the spoke holes to prevent air from leaking. Any additional layers of tape would be used to build up the circumference of the rim thus creating a tighter rim/tire fit. The looser the fit the more difficulty getting the bead to seal. Too tight of a fit means the tire will be harder to install.

I've had good luck on my mountain bike with using a tube to seat the beads first. I then deflate, pop the bead on one side only and remove the tube. Install the tubeless valve and set the other bead in the rim starting opposite of the valve hole and finishing at the valve stem.

A compressor is not always necessary. Fill a spray bottle with dish soap and water. Spray the solution all around the outside of the rim/tire on both sides before filling with air. Install your air pump and go crazy. The soapy water solution helps create enough of a temporary seal to allow the tire beads to fully seat.

12snap
12-18-2013, 06:03 PM
A compressor is not always necessary. Fill a spray bottle with dish soap and water. Spray the solution all around the outside of the rim/tire on both sides before filling with air. Install your air pump and go crazy. The soapy water solution helps create enough of a temporary seal to allow the tire beads to fully seat.

Also wanted to point out that you want to use a good amount of soap in your spray bottle. When you inflate the tire, the soap creates air bubbles which are key to sealing the bead.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2013, 08:40 AM
The 1st layer of Stan's tape seals the spoke holes to prevent air from leaking. Any additional layers of tape would be used to build up the circumference of the rim thus creating a tighter rim/tire fit. The looser the fit the more difficulty getting the bead to seal. Too tight of a fit means the tire will be harder to install.

I've had good luck on my mountain bike with using a tube to seat the beads first. I then deflate, pop the bead on one side only and remove the tube. Install the tubeless valve and set the other bead in the rim starting opposite of the valve hole and finishing at the valve stem.

Or on the tires/rims mentioned(road), just use a tube, supple, 25mm tire and not a bunch of air and go ride. Tubulars are less work, IMHO.

If your reason is less flats, goop 'em up, the tubes, with Stan's or Orange Seal and go ride. Same for Tubulars.