PDA

View Full Version : Threadless Headsets: How Do They Hold The Steerer?

cachagua
12-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Some years ago, I had a Chris King NoThreadSet. Gone back to threaded since, so my memory's hazy, but if I recall right, its only contact with the steerer tube (at the top end) was a rubber O-ring pinched between the steerer and the alloy ring that mates to the bearing.

Another threadless headset I'm cruising on eBay seems, from the photos, to have the same arrangement. Can't tell for sure, it may have two O-rings instead of just one.

So is this the standard way of holding the top of the steerer? Is it the best way? Are there any other ways?

Grant McLean
12-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Some years ago, I had a Chris King NoThreadSet. Gone back to threaded since, so my memory's hazy, but if I recall right, its only contact with the steerer tube (at the top end) was a rubber O-ring pinched between the steerer and the alloy ring that mates to the bearing.

So is this the standard way of holding the top of the steerer? Is it the best way? Are there any other ways?

Not any more. King replaced the o-ring with a split-ring design
a few years ago on their no-threadset, as the patent ran out on the aheadset
design, so now basically everyone uses their design.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2010-chris-king-tweaks-headset-design-for-2011-27701/

-g

harryschwartzma
12-15-2013, 12:46 PM
All thread less set ups require the top cap, and to a lesser extnt the stem to hold the fork on

Ralph
12-15-2013, 01:18 PM
All thread less set ups require the top cap, and to a lesser extnt the stem to hold the fork on

On my bikes, the stem bolts are what holds it together, the top cap only sets the preload before I tighten the stem bolts. Maybe I'm missing something about what you guys are talking about.

David Kirk
12-15-2013, 01:19 PM

I'd flip that - the top cap sets the bearing preload and the stem holds it all in place. One can take the top cap off once the preload is set and the stem tight and nothing will happen.........or nothing should happen provided you tightened the stem properly.

dave

harryschwartzma
12-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Yup.

lhuerta
12-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Here is ism required reading:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threadless-headset-service

Park Tools has a bunch of other DIY videos and tutorials.

Lou

FlashUNC
12-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Magic right? I'm going with magic.

Or if you have a Time, it's both threaded AND threadless.

cachagua
12-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I can't quite envision the split wedge ring. . . guess I have to go down to the shop and fondle a new King headset.

But thanks all the same! I guess the one on eBay is going to be someone else's.

fogrider
12-15-2013, 10:08 PM
I can't quite envision the split wedge ring. . . guess I have to go down to the shop and fondle a new King headset.

But thanks all the same! I guess the one on eBay is going to be someone else's.

this is the first I've seen the split wedge ring come up...what is that?

fogrider
12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
I'd flip that - the top cap sets the bearing preload and the stem holds it all in place. One can take the top cap off once the preload is set and the stem tight and nothing will happen.........or nothing should happen provided you tightened the stem properly.

dave

I agree. I would also not tighten down the top bolt as much because I don't want to crimp the end of the steerertube, especially with carbon.

Grant McLean
12-15-2013, 10:18 PM

I thought is was clear from the link i posted.

The silver ring sits on top of the bearing, and the black
split ring grabs the steerer as the pressure from the top cap
forces the wedge shaped ring into the tapered sleeve.
The o-ring goes and the dust cap go on top to cover the bearing.

-g

oldpotatoe
12-16-2013, 07:33 AM
I agree. I would also not tighten down the top bolt as much because I don't want to crimp the end of the steerertube, especially with carbon.

Ideally, the carbon steerer would go all the way thru the stem, adding a 5mm spacer on top of the stem, to prevent the above.

martl
12-16-2013, 07:36 AM
On my bikes, the stem bolts are what holds it together, the top cap only sets the preload before I tighten the stem bolts. Maybe I'm missing something about what you guys are talking about.

This. After the stem is clamped on, the top cap *could* be removed completely. Some weight weenies replaced them with a thin CFK disk to save those crucial 5g.

The only purpose for the top cap after the bearing has been adjusted is to close the open tube end. Would end nasty in case of a crash and open tube ends aren't allowed in racing for that reason (same for handlebar ends).

FlashUNC
12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
This. After the stem is clamped on, the top cap *could* be removed completely. Some weight weenies replaced them with a thin CFK disk to save those crucial 5g.

The only purpose for the top cap after the bearing has been adjusted is to close the open tube end. Would end nasty in case of a crash and open tube ends aren't allowed in racing for that reason (same for handlebar ends).

Some have found a work around and left the top open, with Canyon as a prime example.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/05/15/2/canyon_aeroad_cf_top_tube_profile_600.jpg

Mark McM
12-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Some have found a work around and left the top open, with Canyon as a prime example.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/05/15/2/canyon_aeroad_cf_top_tube_profile_600.jpg

Wouldn't that fill up with water in the rain? I think I'd prefer at least some type of covering, if only too keep dirt and debris from falling down in there.

sevencyclist
12-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't that fill up with water in the rain? I think I'd prefer at least some type of covering, if only too keep dirt and debris from falling down in there.
I think it goes all the way down the steerer tube, so you can see the tire below.

martl
12-16-2013, 11:10 AM

It could come handy as a place to put your powerbar or banana... would also cure that rain problem.

Grant McLean
12-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I think it goes all the way down the steerer tube, so you can see the tire below.

most carbon forks are solid around the crown area.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/images/Enve_20Fork_parent.jpg

Tony
12-16-2013, 12:26 PM

dave

I did that here using a piece or carbon glued to a carbon spacer with mini cell foam glued to the top piece to fit tightly into the steerer tube.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107709068384636814318/albums/5846025983702832865/5958055565295626514?pid=5958055565295626514&oid=107709068384636814318

phcollard
12-16-2013, 12:50 PM
It could come handy as a place to put your powerbar or banana... would also cure that rain problem.

No that is the perfect place to store a frankfurter wurst :D

cachagua
12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Whoa: what about if you put a microwave in there.

Hot frankfurter wurst.