PDA

View Full Version : the end (semi) of my old Lemond Zurich...

cash05458
12-15-2013, 10:19 AM
So my old 99 Zurich cracked at the headset about a year and half ago...it is the 853 steel ect...wrote Reynolds and asked about welding rods ect and is it repairable...sure, they said...which made me happy and of course I got lots of different opinions from folks I knew...but figured what the hell...so had a good buddy of mine who is an incredible welder do it for a six pack...and got to ride her for another 4 thousand or so...and it is no big deal as I have three other road bikes...so I was pretty chuffed...

Riding home from work ( and the Lemond is my rain, all around beater bike to save the others) the crank was so off and swinging...stopped and looked at bb...it had pretty much split into three pieces...a big crack from bb to top and seat tube all way round...

I had the same buddy fix that but have decided it is time to retire the Lemond to a trainer only bike...which works well and I still get a kick outta riding it on the trainer...and at least that way won't kill myself...or I hope that is the case and I don't try to get more miles outta here...cheaper tig welded frames but I really like those older Lemond Zurich's...good bike that has served me well and still doing abit of trainer time...

ultraman6970
12-15-2013, 11:05 AM
The headset problem is easy to fix, but the problem is to find the headset that will fit in there. Cant remember who made them but you have find a headset with a longer neck.It will hold deeper, more surface and probably you can ride that forever with the crack in there.

As for the other crack, well good luck :)

cash05458
12-15-2013, 11:20 AM
oh I know...my welder friend told me the headset wouldn't crack again...and it didn't...but that is might pop out somewhere else...and it did bigtime...tis ok...I got some serious mileage out of this frame...just alot of good memories and sad to see it go...but then again, get to use it indoors on the kinetic...so what the hell...

discman
12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Just be careful with the repair. Trainers can put more stress on frames than riding on the road.

cash05458
12-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Just be careful with the repair. Trainers can put more stress on frames than riding on the road.

true...but I won't kill myself is all I figure...that leads of course to the inevitable "if it was fine on the trainer for 4 months with all that stress...it will be ok on road again..."

Peter P.
12-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Great story. Doesn't it feel good to be able to keep an otherwise trashed frame on the road?

I had a Bridgestone MB-3 that cracked on the drive side chainstay, behind the BB. My buddy welded the crack shut and it lasted several more years.

I had a Salsa Ala Carte that was cracked at both seatstays, at the headtube/downtube junction, and at the seattube/BB junction, but it just would not fail. It was Reynolds 853, by the way. I rode it for years like that.