PDA

View Full Version : Planet bike borealis winter gloves...

cash05458
12-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Has anyone tried the new ones of these? I have heard a few good things...I have the older model and they wore out very quickly...just wondering if anyone has given them a good go...also, any recommendations, and I know this has been done alot, for other solid sub freezing winter gloves? thanks!

Dude
12-16-2013, 09:56 AM
For sub freezing I honestly stay away from bike brands. Arc'tryx, Outdoor Research, Marmot ski/mountaineering gloves are what I usually look at.

They are expensive ($80) but last a long time, use real leather and, with liners keep my hands warm into the 20s.

Right now I am using some outdoor research gloves (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gloves/mens-southback-gloves.html). They keep me warm and aren't too bulky for road riding.

MTBing I use something with a thinner palm so I have better control over the bars. I also tend to stay warmer mtbing.

oliver1850
12-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I wondered about the Planet Bikes too.

I don't mind bulky even for road. I have thumbshifters on the MTB and bar ends on the road bike, so shifting isn't much of a problem. I'm looking for something good to well below 20 degrees though.

gomango
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
For sub freezing I honestly stay away from bike brands. Arc'tryx, Outdoor Research, Marmot ski/mountaineering gloves are what I usually look at.

They are expensive ($80) but last a long time, use real leather and, with liners keep my hands warm into the 20s.

Right now I am using some outdoor research gloves (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gloves/mens-southback-gloves.html). They keep me warm and aren't too bulky for road riding.

MTBing I use something with a thinner palm so I have better control over the bars. I also tend to stay warmer mtbing.

Agreed.

Those ORs look like a solid choice, but I have the Marmot Randonees and they haven't let me down up here in Minnesota.

Good stuff, but a bit spendy.