PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 10s on a commuter bike?

NickR
12-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Hello All,

Have a surly CC and it’s currently setup for 9s with 9s & 10s (FD & RD Shimano 4600) parts. Can the rear hub (Deore FH-M530) accept a 10s cassette? Like the Shimano 4600 series cassette. I looked on the net and the hubs are 8/9. Wasn’t sure if any 10s cassette would work on the hubs.

The other question is, will I have clearance issues going from a triple to a compact? The crank in question is a FSA CK-6020 compact. I’ve read other frames having issues with compacts (like the Black Mountain frames) because of the wide chain stays.

I have the bar end 10s & the crank accumulated in my parts bin. The deal breaker would be if I have to get a new wheel set to make the switch to 10s on the commuter.

Thanks,
Nick

kramnnim
12-14-2013, 06:38 PM
8/9/10 are interchangeable, you'll be fine. No clue with the crank...but at least it would be cheap/free to try!

oldpotatoe
12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Hello All,

Have a surly CC and it’s currently setup for 9s with 9s & 10s (FD & RD Shimano 4600) parts. Can the rear hub (Deore FH-M530) accept a 10s cassette? Like the Shimano 4600 series cassette. I looked on the net and the hubs are 8/9. Wasn’t sure if any 10s cassette would work on the hubs.

The other question is, will I have clearance issues going from a triple to a compact? The crank in question is a FSA CK-6020 compact. I’ve read other frames having issues with compacts (like the Black Mountain frames) because of the wide chain stays.

I have the bar end 10s & the crank accumulated in my parts bin. The deal breaker would be if I have to get a new wheel set to make the switch to 10s on the commuter.

Thanks,
Nick

yes

hard to say w/o installing and seeing

wheel works with any shimano/sram 10s cogset..not 11s tho.

oliver1850
12-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't know if the crank will fit. If you don't have it yet, you might consider a square taper compact that will let you put a longer spindle in if you require more clearance. I just put an FSA Tempo on a CX frame. Nothing fancy, but I put nicer rings on it and it works fine. I think even cheap square taper BBs are apt to be longer lived than MegaExo, so prefer this setup to a Gossamer.

NickR
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
8/9/10 are interchangeable, you'll be fine. No clue with the crank...but at least it would be cheap/free to try!

yes

hard to say w/o installing and seeing

wheel works with any shimano/sram 10s cogset..not 11s tho.

I don't know if the crank will fit. If you don't have it yet, you might consider a square taper compact that will let you put a longer spindle in if you require more clearance. I just put an FSA Tempo on a CX frame. Nothing fancy, but I put nicer rings on it and it works fine. I think even cheap square taper BBs are apt to be longer lived than MegaExo, so prefer this setup to a Gossamer.

Thanks guys, since I have most of the parts I'll give it a try.