PDA

View Full Version : Campy vs Shimano, revelation

don compton
12-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Until now, all of our bikes were equipped with Campy shifters, 10sp.My wife is 5'2" and has small hands. Needing 165 cranks, we had to look elsewhere for cranks ( Ultegra triple ). The reach problem with the Campy shifters was always a problem, even with woman specific bars.
Well, I broke down and bought her a new 2014 Ultegra, compact group with the "gs" rear derailleur and a 11-32 cassette, from Steve Rex and Steve's mech, Doug did the install. The new shifters have a set screw that allows for a very short reach and the action in shifting and braking is very light but positive.
Kudos to Shimano for having this group available. My wife will not be going back to Campy in the future. It just seems like Campy is missing the boat , not catering to potential female customers.:)

thirdgenbird
12-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Campagnolo has 165mm cranks and the g3 levers have reach adjustment of sorts.

Now that I think about it, the triple may not be available in a 165.

don compton
12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Campagnolo has 165mm cranks and the g3 levers have reach adjustment of sorts.
The only reach adjustment offered by Campy is for increasing the reach. And while they, finally offer a few 165 cranks, they don't offer an fully integrated group that comes an 11-32 wide range cassette.
The choice to try Shimano was after our horrible experience with a newer set of Centaur levers that broke and were not repairable.

thirdgenbird
12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
You could be right on the reach.

Does it manner if it is an integrated group if it all works perfectly well? are you using a 11-32 with a triple?

Ahneida Ride
12-14-2013, 10:59 AM
retroshift ....

http://www.retroshift.com/

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Until now, all of our bikes were equipped with Campy shifters, 10sp.My wife is 5'2" and has small hands. Needing 165 cranks, we had to look elsewhere for cranks ( Ultegra triple ). The reach problem with the Campy shifters was always a problem, even with woman specific bars.
Well, I broke down and bought her a new 2014 Ultegra, compact group with the "gs" rear derailleur and a 11-32 cassette, from Steve Rex and Steve's mech, Doug did the install. The new shifters have a set screw that allows for a very short reach and the action in shifting and braking is very light but positive.
Kudos to Shimano for having this group available. My wife will not be going back to Campy in the future. It just seems like Campy is missing the boat , not catering to potential female customers.:)

Reach and proper handlebar 'fixes' reach problems with new shape Campagnolo levers, for some.
AND altho shimano has stepped up with a 11-32, they have dumped their triple offerings, for ultegra and soon 105. Yes a 34t and 32t rear is low but not as low as a 30t and 30t for Campagnolo triples.

But whatever work for ya.

don compton
12-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Reach and proper handlebar 'fixes' reach problems with new shape Campagnolo levers, for some.
AND altho shimano has stepped up with a 11-32, they have dumped their triple offerings, for ultegra and soon 105. Yes a 34t and 32t rear is low but not as low as a 30t and 30t for Campagnolo triples.

But whatever work for ya.
The 34-32 is lower than a 30-28, but only slightly higher than her old 30-29. The shifting and everything else is so much better for my wife.
Also, the new campy lower groups( Centaur) are low end crap, period. Sorry, for being so blunt, but as a long time Campy, I am totally disiillusioned with the current Campy stuff. Lot of money for not so much.

alastair
12-15-2013, 04:30 AM
well that's settled it. All my campy will be by the curb come morning. Thanks for saving me!

CNY rider
12-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Maybe there is a certain hand size "sweet spot" for Campy?
I'm male with small hands. I'm sure my hands are bigger than your wife's.
I went from Shimano to the old style Campy hoods because they fit my "small" hands better.
With the newer Campy hoods it's all just about the same.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2013, 09:41 AM
The 34-32 is lower than a 30-28, but only slightly higher than her old 30-29. The shifting and everything else is so much better for my wife.
Also, the new campy lower groups( Centaur) are low end crap, period. Sorry, for being so blunt, but as a long time Campy, I am totally disiillusioned with the current Campy stuff. Lot of money for not so much.

Whatever blows yer skirt up..You had a bad experience with Centaur, I don't remember the particulars or if you tried to warranty...hopefully the 6800 stuff will work for you/her, check the cable ends fairly frequently.

BTW-Centaur is now 12-30 for lowest, not 13-29...