PDA

View Full Version : Not thru axle, thru axle-QR

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Probably a good idea considering all the disc brake hoo-haaa..

15mm thru axles on road forks are overkill, as noted in the article, this seems like a good idea...

Saw at least one disc road bike where strong braking shifted the front wheel in the dropouts...with a conventinal QR...

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/topolino-speedrelease-skewers-39307/

Also the "Angry Asian' comes thru...guess married life has mellowed him some...kidding James!!!

http://contests.bikeradar.com/#component

pbarry
12-14-2013, 09:58 AM
I like it, well done. The rear hub design looks a lot like Cinelli's Bivalent hub. Nothing wrong with that. :)

FlashUNC
12-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't get the point. Yes, it's meant to retrofit existing dropouts with a thru-axle-esque system for more security. But for those making the jump the discs, they're more than likely to just get a new bike rather than retrofit the one the one they have.

He's going to have a hard hill to climb with this, especially since it seems it hasn't gotten any traction within the last 13 years.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't get the point. Yes, it's meant to retrofit existing dropouts with a thru-axle-esque system for more security. But for those making the jump the discs, they're more than likely to just get a new bike rather than retrofit the one the one they have.

He's going to have a hard hill to climb with this, especially since it seems it hasn't gotten any traction within the last 13 years.

Disc road and cross forks have 'traditional' dropouts and shifting wheels on some ARE an issue, even with dropouts facing forward.

FlashUNC
12-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I get that.

But if I'm a manufacturer, the thru-axle seem the simpler business decision rather than trying to find hubs that need to be re-engineered. Including that rear set-up which just looks like a nightmare.

cachagua
12-14-2013, 11:59 AM
That problem of the axle slipping -- I always wondered, if you mount the caliper on the forward side of the fork instead of behind it, then doesn't the reactive force try to jam the axle into the dropout instead of trying to pull it out?

(Not that anybody would actually do this, even if it solved the problem -- the standard is too deeply entrenched by now.)

But is that correct? All it would take is relocating the caliper?

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 12:30 PM
That problem of the axle slipping -- I always wondered, if you mount the caliper on the forward side of the fork instead of behind it, then doesn't the reactive force try to jam the axle into the dropout instead of trying to pull it out?

(Not that anybody would actually do this, even if it solved the problem -- the standard is too deeply entrenched by now.)

But is that correct? All it would take is relocating the caliper?

But, but but, aero-ness all gooned up...kidding....I THINK the forces are the same but I'm no engineer...

unterhausen
12-14-2013, 12:39 PM
I get that.

But if I'm a manufacturer, the thru-axle seem the simpler business decision rather than trying to find hubs that need to be re-engineered. Including that rear set-up which just looks like a nightmare.I agree, although they don't really have seem to have gotten the hang of through axle yet. Seen some low-end mountain bikes with through axles where you had to put heavy stress on the wheel just to get the skewer to thread in.

cachagua
12-14-2013, 01:04 PM
You're right, it'd wreck the aerodynamics. Also, without the fork to hide behind, the caliper would catch dust and road goop, and get all dirty. Eww!