PDA

View Full Version : Dura ace 7700 series BB question

Tony
12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I have Dura Ace 7700 on two steel bikes, one is the wife's and the other is mine. I have never checked the BB on either bike. Today after reading that some folks have issues with the 7700 series BB I decided to check the BB on both bikes. Sure enough the wife's BB was not doing well, mine was not much better, both needed maintenance. I took then apart and cleaned and greased both. Had some difficultly after removing the plastic lock ring on the wife's, the needle and round bearings went everywhere! Used a magnet to get them all back, and back in place. Both BB now are running SMOOTH!

I have one question, On my bike I used a small screw driver to push the plastic cover ring that slides on the outside of the spindle and poked a hole in it. Should I be concerned? Is there a parts number for this cover ring so I could order one? Does anyone know where to get one?
Thanks for any help.

sales guy
12-13-2013, 07:27 PM
You can't get that seal ring separately.

Gummee
12-13-2013, 08:01 PM
1 word: Ultegra.

Suck up the 50g difference and replace those D/A with the Ultegra version and call it good till they die

I did. Was happier afterwards.

M

Tony
12-13-2013, 08:39 PM
1 word: Ultegra.

Suck up the 50g difference and replace those D/A with the Ultegra version and call it good till they die

I did. Was happier afterwards.

M

I'm thinking a could remove the seal guard, clean it well and use Aqua Seal on the outside of the seal. Aqua Seal will stick well to the the seal guard.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/BB/EV-BB-7700-1657B_v1_m56577569830610606.pdf

Cat3roadracer
12-13-2013, 08:48 PM
If I could add a second word - Ultegra. Ride it about ten thousand miles and if it needs to be replaced, do so.

Tony
12-13-2013, 09:55 PM
These Dura Ace 7700 BBs are 12 years old and weigh in at 175 grams. I have never touched them until today, and with a little maintenance are running very smooth again. I studied its design, its very solid, light, sound BB. I don't want to replace it when its only maybe needing a small part. I don't think I need to do anything with this damaged seal, it may ok as it is, not sure? I'm going to reinforce it with Aqua Seal, just for peace of mine.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I have Dura Ace 7700 on two steel bikes, one is the wife's and the other is mine. I have never checked the BB on either bike. Today after reading that some folks have issues with the 7700 series BB I decided to check the BB on both bikes. Sure enough the wife's BB was not doing well, mine was not much better, both needed maintenance. I took then apart and cleaned and greased both. Had some difficultly after removing the plastic lock ring on the wife's, the needle and round bearings went everywhere! Used a magnet to get them all back, and back in place. Both BB now are running SMOOTH!

I have one question, On my bike I used a small screw driver to push the plastic cover ring that slides on the outside of the spindle and poked a hole in it. Should I be concerned? Is there a parts number for this cover ring so I could order one? Does anyone know where to get one?
Thanks for any help.

These do take more maintenance than the octalink BBs with cart bearings...don't lose those needle bearings. You'll never find another one unless that LBS has some toasted BBs in a box. Clean BB, lotsa grease, properly prepped frame, and they will work.

That ring isn't a small part you can get either. That BB went away almost a decade ago. See LBS, undoubtedly, they have some inna box.

When they do go south, shimano still makes 5500 BBs, same dimension...no mas 6500(Ultegra) BBs.

christian
12-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I know these bbs get a bad rap, but I have found that with reasonable maintenance, they are incredibly smooth and last forever. I'm all Campagnolo now so if anyone needs an ITA threaded one, let me know.

Ken Robb
12-14-2013, 11:06 AM
According to the excellent shop owner/wrench of my LBS he routinely suggested substituting Ultegra BB for DA even when doing a complete DA group. He liked the DA units for customers who were diligent about maintaining them but he knew the Ultegra units would last 15,000-25,000 miles with no attention whatsoever with no perceptible sacrifice in performance.

Tony
12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
These do take more maintenance than the octalink BBs with cart bearings...don't lose those needle bearings. You'll never find another one unless that LBS has some toasted BBs in a box. Clean BB, lotsa grease, properly prepped frame, and they will work.

That ring isn't a small part you can get either. That BB went away almost a decade ago. See LBS, undoubtedly, they have some inna box.

When they do go south, shimano still makes 5500 BBs, same dimension...no mas 6500(Ultegra) BBs.

After removing the plastic lock ring (bad move) several needle and round bearing bounced off the cardboard lid I was using and on my wooded back deck. One of each the round and needle bearing fell through the 2X6 plank and under the deck. I tried to remove the plank and only ended up stripping the wood screws. I ended up using my skillsaw to cut the the plank out and used a coat hanger with a magnet to fish out the bearings. I was close to tapping out. :)

thwart
12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I ended up using my skillsaw to cut the the plank out and used a coat hanger with a magnet to fish out the bearings. I was close to tapping out. :)

Man, I wouldn't bet against you fixing anything.

Kudos for your persistence.

At that point I would've said can it, I'll replace it with a new 5500 BB...

zzy
12-14-2013, 04:30 PM
I really don't know about a 6500 BB being so much better. The body/NDS cup LOVED to rust. I've found small piles of rust in BB shells after removing them. 7700s don't have this problem and the needle bearings work great. Similar design to Speedplay pedals - keep 'em greased and you'll never have an issue.

AngryScientist
12-14-2013, 04:33 PM
After removing the plastic lock ring (bad move) several needle and round bearing bounced off the cardboard lid I was using and on my wooded back deck. One of each the round and needle bearing fell through the 2X6 plank and under the deck. I tried to remove the plank and only ended up stripping the wood screws. I ended up using my skillsaw to cut the the plank out and used a coat hanger with a magnet to fish out the bearings. I was close to tapping out. :)

can you imagine Mrs. Tony : "you're doing what with the skill saw?"

stien
12-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Loved the cartridge version.

I have an ITA 5500 I'm getting rid of, with 6500 crank. Going external on a more modern build.

Black Dog
12-14-2013, 06:16 PM
I put 100,000km on a DA 7700 BB before I switched over to Italian components. Half of those km's we're done with the seals damaged. I would clean and regrease the BB every year and it ran as smooth as new when I tossed it in the parts box.