PDA

View Full Version : Recall: stop using SRAM hydraulic road

benc
12-13-2013, 04:57 PM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/13/sram-announces-complete-recall-of-all-road-hydraulic-rim-and-disc-brakes-stop-use-immediately/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BikeRumor+%28Bike+Rumor+RSS%2 9

gavingould
12-13-2013, 05:09 PM
guess the guys who've been using them on their commuters to SRAM HQ have been having some blowouts... it's been pretty durn cold here the last week.
any of the pros have issues in Bend last weekend?

(no, i haven't heard anything specific - no one would tell me anyway even though i do know several employees who've been riding the hydros for a long while.)

JayBay
12-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Yikes... Well they worked fine in the last couple sub-freezing races I did, so we'll see how they hold up tomorrow morning. Supposed to be a balmy 13 degrees come race time. That sucks about the recall, but I ain't giving them back until they can hand me a replacement. The damn things just work way too good.

sales guy
12-13-2013, 06:33 PM
That 55 gallon barrel on the 3rd floor lab is gonna be overflowing soon!

thirdgenbird
12-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Up until now, I have tried to believe the sram warranty stories were embellished but I just can't do it anymore.

How many of you shop employees have the phone number memorized? How about the return address?

vav
12-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Yikes... Supposed to be a balmy 13 degrees come race time.

Ice weasels in Rowley? Should be fun

CiclistiCliff
12-13-2013, 09:08 PM
How many of you shop employees have the phone number memorized? How about the return address?

heh.

Ssalmon
12-13-2013, 09:13 PM
I didn't need a recall to tell me not to use SRAM hydraulic brakes...

yoshirider
12-13-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm curious about something. Is everyone with an affected unit eligible for replacement or are only people with active warranties eligible? More simply put: if I were to purchase a used group from eBay and a part gets recalled would SRAM replace the part?

Richard
12-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Yes, recall is for all units, warrantied or not. This is true for all recalls.

crownjewelwl
12-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Not a huge sram fan but I do like xx1...and I'm no apologist but magura had a similar recall

Basically the seals get brittle and fail when it is really cold

I had mt8s and they failed...kinda scary

Just wait for shimano...xtr hydros are the best

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Yikes... Well they worked fine in the last couple sub-freezing races I did, so we'll see how they hold up tomorrow morning. Supposed to be a balmy 13 degrees come race time. That sucks about the recall, but I ain't giving them back until they can hand me a replacement. The damn things just work way too good.

until...they don't. For 'salesguy-I know what you mean...I'd love to see a pic of their dumpster as well.

Had a Red lever that broke a shift lever blade....called sram, was told they had no levers for warranty at the moment. I mentioned, why not send a lever broken for something else, and I can swap the shift lever blade..was told, 'they just throw the broken warranty levers away'..yikes...

sailorboy
12-14-2013, 08:49 AM
anyone dumb enough to race or ride their bike fast when it is below freezing deserves brake failure.

:banana:

:p

572cv
12-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Well, now it can be said that SRAM has something in common with NASA: Richard Feynman figured out that the Challenger disaster was due to the failure of rubber o-rings to provide a working seal in cold temperatures. It was a very interesting forensic effort, well worth reading Feynman's account.

They flew a lot of space shuttle flights after they figured that out. SRAM can get their compound redesigned and have a nice product again, I expect.

10-4
12-14-2013, 03:48 PM
until...they don't. For 'salesguy-I know what you mean...I'd love to see a pic of their dumpster as well.

Had a Red lever that broke a shift lever blade....called sram, was told they had no levers for warranty at the moment. I mentioned, why not send a lever broken for something else, and I can swap the shift lever blade..was told, 'they just throw the broken warranty levers away'..yikes...

"Throw away" is a bit misleading. The warranty dept people pocket them and build franken-bikes. On the real up side, parts do sometimes get harvested to build functioning stuff and I know a few of those warranty people put those parts to good use for people who can't afford bikes.

Certainly not trying to defend SRAM or their warranty people, but sometimes they do good things with that broken stuff.

gavingould
12-15-2013, 10:35 PM
additional note: 2 guys who work at SRAM and raced Midwest Regionals today in Chicago (~10-20F) were running the electronic shift system... with canti brakes.

Germany_chris
12-16-2013, 06:22 AM
I think we should put more High tech things on bikes that can break :eek:

SolidSnake03
12-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Like gears and derailleur's :rolleyes:

That argument could be made for basically every development following the fixed gear

oldpotatoe
12-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Like gears and derailleur's :rolleyes:

That argument could be made for basically every development following the fixed gear

No kidding-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/first-look-fabian-cancellaras-2014-trek-domane-6-series

What mechanical?? Heresy, I say...eliminate his shimanobucks immediately!!!

Germany_chris
12-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Doesn't he know that mechanical will make him slow jeez we've moved beyond cables :rolleyes:

Hoses wires and batteries are way better

FlashUNC
12-18-2013, 02:35 PM
An interesting update from the SRAM recall site. Appears the seal failure can also happen in non-freezing conditions, and that the cold merely speeds up the process to the failure of the seal, according to SRAM's analysis. Not sure how much of this is their own CYA post-mortem, but certainly seems to indicate the seals were no bueno.

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/brake-recall-clarification/

oldpotatoe
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
An interesting update from the SRAM recall site. Appears the seal failure can also happen in non-freezing conditions, and that the cold merely speeds up the process to the failure of the seal, according to SRAM's analysis. Not sure how much of this is their own CYA post-mortem, but certainly seems to indicate the seals were no bueno.

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/brake-recall-clarification/

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/sram-establishes-website-for-hydraulic-road-brake-recall-39340

Tough to not read between the lines on this statement. 'Chosen to be a product development company', and the statement about product development and quality of launch product..interesting...maybe they need to have stand alone factories. Not contract out.