PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any pen enthusiasts here? (or what do you guys use at the office?)

MattTuck
12-13-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for a nice pen that will take the Uniball Signo .07mm refills, or something similar with a nice ink flow.

I've identified this one.
http://www.bigidesign.com/welcome/solid-titanium-pen/

But I'm curious if you folks know of others that might fit the bill. I'm looking for something that is some combination of professional, understated and classy. I don't mind bright or loud colors as long as the design is clean, but would probably lean more toward greys and blues.

Any help would be great.

wallymann
12-13-2013, 04:39 PM
nothing even remotely high-end and my favorite is the Lamy Studio ballpoint in stainless. the Studio also comes in a fountain and rollerball models with caps (the ballpoint is a twister).

i'm more of a ball-point guy, but these Lamy M16 cartridges roll really smoothly compared to run-of-the-mill ballpoints such as Parker and Cross (more like a gel rollerball actually). and the studio has that just-right heft and nice thick barrel.

http://brown-snout.com/misc/lamy-studio-ballpoint.jpg

Louis
12-13-2013, 04:40 PM
I like the Pilot gels. Years and years ago I had a "real" pen kick, and had a few neat ones, including a Parker 51, but after a while it got old and I moved on.

(BTW, you must mean 0.7 mm - 0.07 mm is way, way narrow)

dsimon
12-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I have a Skillcraft army issued

AngryScientist
12-13-2013, 04:55 PM
I like the Pilot gels. Years and years ago I had a "real" pen kick, and had a few neat ones, including a Parker 51, but after a while it got old and I moved on.

i'm in this exact same boat. i've got a few really nice ones squirreled away, but what i really dig now is relatively cheap fisher space pen retractables. really smooth writing, very well made, easily replaceable cartridge, and about $15, so no need to cry if you lend it out, or lose it. multitude of colors.

http://www.penfanatic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/F/i/Fisher-Space-Pen-Military-Pen-SM4B-in-Black-Matte-Retractable.jpg

jlwdm
12-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Forget the titanium. Go with carbon fiber. Writes better and faster.

I have one Omas fountain pen and two rollerballs; one Omas and one Aurora. Any more at work I just use Uni-ball rollerballs.

Jeff

SolidSnake03
12-13-2013, 05:26 PM
http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Varsity-Disposable-Fountain-Pen-Black/pd/2196
One of these guys, I think it's pretty fun and allows you to actually think about the writing experience a bit.

http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Jetstream-Sport-Ballpoint-Pen-0.7-mm-Black-Ink/pd/1530
For use around the lab, just a simple rock solid ballpoint that's as smooth as anything I've every owned

http://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Graphgear-1000-Drafting-Pencil-0.5-mm/pd/639
For home, prefer the feel of pencil but just not as useful in a work setting.

Cat3roadracer
12-13-2013, 05:31 PM
I go to trade shows a few times a year, load up on pens.

MattTuck
12-13-2013, 05:33 PM

This is the sound of my middle school physics teacher rolling his eyes. Louis, you are right.

I like the uniball signo here. (http://www.staples.com/uni-ball-207-Retractable-Gel-Ink-Pens-Medium-Point-Assorted-8-Pack/product_612883) But I'm looking for something more 'permanent' that is a bit more professional.

OtayBW
12-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I use a Namiki Vanishing Point quite a lot. Unique fountain pen with a retractable nib. Nice.

Dale Alan
12-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I use a Namiki Vanishing Point quite a lot. Unique fountain pen with a retractable nib. Nice.
+1 Great pens with a touch of class . Smooth Nibs for the price too.

#campyuserftw
12-13-2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.waterman.com/en/

wc1934
12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
I love fountain pens - used to have a pretty nice collection.
You could start off with a fairly inexpensive one (Cross, Waterman, Parker, etc) just to get the feel for them (providing you are not a southpaw).
Fun experimenting with the various color inks as well.

Anarchist
12-13-2013, 08:21 PM
I have no idea what the OP means by "professional", it's a pen.

That said, nowadays I use a pen for about 15 minutes a day to sign cheques and beyond that i use e-ink.

For 15 minutes a day anything that takes a Parker refill works well.

OtayBW
12-13-2013, 08:36 PM

That said, nowadays I use a pen for about 15 minutes a day to sign cheques and beyond that i use e-ink.

You can buy a workable ride from WalleyWorld, too, if all you want to do is run down to the corner to pick up a loaf of bread. :rolleyes:

dogdriver
12-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I have an ancient Cross pen and pencil set that my academic advisor from "college" gave me when I graduated (in 1983, I'm old). 30 years gone, I haven't lost them, and they still work. Now, they've developed a certain karma, and I take care to not lose them. Thank the manufacturing gods that Cross still makes the pen cartridges, but the pencil erasers haven't been made in years. Being a fairly inaccurate writer, I go through a bunch of erasers and have to whittle erasers out of rubber blocks. Not too fancy, but they have sentiment in spades and I hope to nurse them through to retirement... Plus, the pen seems to write fine.

CDM
12-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Wow, what you are writing is so exceptional that the pen it is written with matters!?

Grant McLean
12-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Grant McLean
12-13-2013, 09:09 PM
i'm never without a few of these within reach.

-g

slidey
12-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Don't give a toss about the kind of pens, but this (http://youtu.be/hO5zwvw1H8A) is what I feel like when someone asks me if they can borrow my pen.

Louis
12-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Wow, what you are writing is so exceptional that the pen it is written with matters!?

Good point - maybe we should all be driving $2000 minivans and riding garage-sale hybrids.

Fixed
12-13-2013, 10:32 PM
My favorite pen a gift from my girl friend it is a platinum m.b.
Cheers

rounder
12-14-2013, 12:29 AM
I am not into expensive, but need a pen that writes well. I like .7 rolling writers in blue that work.

Found this in the Washington Post.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-pen/

The uniball Jetstream seemed exactly what I needed. I went to the local Office Depot and Staples, but they were not available (period).

The Uniball Jetstream in .7 with blue ink is worth pursuing for me. It is not important that I get one (I already have other pens that write ok). I thought that it was cool that there would be a search for the best writing pen.

If it is cheap and works great, I want one. Will by 12 if I have to.

Louis
12-14-2013, 01:14 AM

Interesting - I just bought my father a few G2's for his X-mas stocking. I'll have to appologize for getting him such a cr@ppy pen. ;)

I'll get one of the OA's at work to show me the options available for the office. If the Jetstream's one of them I'll request a few. Since we only get the less-expensive stuff there's a decent chance it won't be on the list.

crownjewelwl
12-14-2013, 05:18 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Tombow-Premium-Design-Roller-55079/dp/B001LDKB9A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1387019821&sr=8-4&keywords=tombo+pens

I've use these for 20 years...easy to source refills

Looks nice and not so expensive that it would hurt to lose it

carpediemracing
12-14-2013, 05:25 AM
I have an ancient Cross pen and pencil set that my academic advisor from "college" gave me when I graduated (in 1983, I'm old). 30 years gone, I haven't lost them, and they still work. Now, they've developed a certain karma, and I take care to not lose them...

Now I feel like I should find my original "good" pen. Bought and sold my first house with it, various cars after I got it, signed various significant papers with it, etc. It was a $20 Parker pen gifted to me by someone special to my heart, ball point, medium at first, two fine point refills since, most of the finish is worn off.

I even used the pen, every day, in the LBS. If any of you know what sort of miracle it takes to hold onto one pen at an LBS (before computerized stuff) days then you know that was a huge leap of faith.

The Missus bought me one as a wedding present, I'll call it "1/4 as fancy as the nice one" but obviously it means a lot to me. I've used that one for significant things like buying our current house, buying various cars after we got married, signing significant legal documents, etc. Ball point, fine, works well.

After reading that Wirecutter thing I feel like I ought to try the uniball Jetstream. Problem is I just bought 500 branded pens so I don't have an excuse to buy a pen for a while.

fuzzalow
12-14-2013, 06:38 AM
I am not into expensive, but need a pen that writes well. I like .7 rolling writers in blue that work.

The uniball Jetstream seemed exactly what I needed. I went to the local Office Depot and Staples, but they were not available (period).

The Uniball Jetstream in .7 with blue ink is worth pursuing for me. It is not important that I get one (I already have other pens that write ok). I thought that it was cool that there would be a search for the best writing pen.

Thanks for the reference to that article. Agree that there is not much cost difference between a junky pen and something enjoyable to use so might as well seek out the good stuff.

I own some nice pens like Caran D'Ache, Monte Blanc, the universal Cross pen and the like. To be honest, they all function better as jewelry and don't have the smoothness, flow and imprint that is now common to that of the modern Uniball Jetstream type of functional pen. So it is more like you use them because they are beautiful objects.

Just as in bikes, 95% will never notice a good writing instrument. They are not used as objects d'braggadocio. If the intent was to impress the hoi polloi, you simply have to beat them over the head with bad taste.

bobswire
12-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Interesting thread, being into construction/carpentry I never gave much thought to buying a quality pen (pencil is another story) and my terrible handwriting reflects it. About the only time I use a pen is writing out a check or greeting card. I'm so ashamed of my handwriting I use a text edit on my computer to write notes (hand writing style font) that I may send along with a card. Someone wrote their handwriting looked like a spider had been dipped in poisonous ink and then violently convulsed itself to death across the page. I can relate.
This thread gave me an idea,improve my handwriting skill. I'm retired, have the time, why not? Oh and find a good pen. Thanks for the thought .:)

MattTuck
12-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Thanks, I love the wirecutter. And have actually glanced at this before, (the Uniball Signo, which I like, was one of the tested pens and didn't do terribly) and should probably give their recommended pen a chance.

The Titanium Pen I had listed in the first post actually can accept the refills of the Jetstream as well, so I'd certainly have flexibility if I went in that direction.

MattTuck
12-14-2013, 09:36 AM

I suppose by this logic, people should not be riding great bikes unless they can ride on exceptional roads.

Perhaps I eschew our modern consumerist culture of disposable pens that are discarded like empty husks once their ink runs dry.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm looking for a nice pen that will take the Uniball Signo .07mm refills, or something similar with a nice ink flow.

I've identified this one.
http://www.bigidesign.com/welcome/solid-titanium-pen/

But I'm curious if you folks know of others that might fit the bill. I'm looking for something that is some combination of professional, understated and classy. I don't mind bright or loud colors as long as the design is clean, but would probably lean more toward greys and blues.

Any help would be great.

Not what you asked but I have one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Vanishing-Collection-Retractable-60242/dp/B0002ZQB1K/ref=sr_1_1/178-0297821-3490275?ie=UTF8&qid=1387036036&sr=8-1&keywords=retractable+fountain+pen

Like a Fosters Oil Can or Campagnolo levers, 'feels nice in the hand'....

oldpotatoe
12-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Wow, where you are riding that is so exceptional that the bicycle that is ridden matters!?

Wow, what time you are looking for is so exceptional that the watch matters!?

Wow, what you are ____ is so exceptional that the ____ it is ____ with matters!?

Wow, what forum are you responding to is so exceptional that the comment written matters!?

Fixed
12-14-2013, 09:55 AM
When I got my pen from my girlfriend I went to the m.b. store for a refill
My pen sells for 475 , that is almost as much as my bike coast me ,
I love the pen but a set of wheels seems like a better value
Cheers :)

wc1934
12-14-2013, 03:36 PM
When I got my pen from my girlfriend I went to the m.b. store for a refill
My pen sells for 475 , that is almost as much as my bike coast me ,
I love the pen but a set of wheels seems like a better value
Cheers :)

You are wrong Fixed - Wheels come and go, but your Mont Blanc is a classic.

sevencyclist
12-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I love writing with fountain pens. There is something about putting thoughts on the paper and watching the ink dry.

Here are my favorite pens. The one that writes the best is the Sailor in Chinese Quince wood finish with broad point. The Japanese nibs are slightly smaller, so it is equivalent of a in between medium and broad in European size.

The Montegrappa Dragon is #1910 of 1912, and the yellow Montegrappa Millenium Dragon is the first birthday of my daughter.

The Mont Blanc was a present and writes fine.

The Watermen pens are nice to hold with good balance. The medium nib of Olivewood is better than the fine point of Briarwood for me.

The Omas Colombo is my second favorite nib for the smoothness behind the Sailor.

Llewellyn
12-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I love writing with fountain pens. There is something about putting thoughts on the paper and watching the ink dry.

Here are my favorite pens. The one that writes the best is the Sailor in Chinese Quince wood finish with broad point. The Japanese nibs are slightly smaller, so it is equivalent of a in between medium and broad in European size.

The Montegrappa Dragon is #1910 of 1912, and the yellow Montegrappa Millenium Dragon is the first birthday of my daughter.

The Mont Blanc was a present and writes fine.

The Watermen pens are nice to hold with good balance. The medium nib of Olivewood is better than the fine point of Briarwood for me.

The Omas Colombo is my second favorite nib for the smoothness behind the Sailor.

Same here. My Dad always used one and swore by it. I got into them about 12 months ago and now have a very nice collection of Visconti's. I also have my Dad's old Montblanc but I'm not impressed with it - too light for my tastes. And repairing them is a joke - between $500 and $700 to replace the nib, or up to $250 just to service it :eek: Even the lady in the shop suggested thinking very hard about whether I thought either option was really worth it. So it sits in a pen box as a memento of my father.

FP's are wonderful to write with :banana: Just like instant versus real coffee - I can't go back to biro's now

Llewellyn
12-14-2013, 05:27 PM

wc1934
12-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Here are my favorite pens. The one that writes the best is the Sailor in Chinese Quince wood finish with broad point.

Beautiful collection!!!!!
Sailor over the Omas - kinda surprises me.

sevencyclist
12-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Beautiful collection!!!!!
Sailor over the Omas - kinda surprises me.

Thanks.

Yes, that Sailor is a hidden treasure. I got it in the mid 90's. I don't see that nib on the new pens anymore. I have not tried their other nibs such as 1911 etc.

Somehow it just flows so smoothly that it seems to almost write faster than I can keep up. I think the slightly bigger size made it just that much smoother.

The Omas is amazing though and is almost an equal of that Sailor. The Omas is smooth no matter how you hold the pen, whereas the sailor is slightly more position dependent.

dave thompson
12-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the extremely useful information. You always add so much to the conversation

slidey
12-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Matt,

So I had another look at the specific pens in your initial post - and I never thought I could bring myself to care enough to say this but I don't like the Signo one bit. I do like the design of the Ti pen in the link you posted, but my cheap and inexperienced self doesn't like the fact that its Ti and has a bunch of glorified BS as its features (eg: Pocket Clip...wth). I use the uniball onyx, since that's stocked by our dept and I like it quite a bit. Given that it looks, to me, similar to the Ti pen maybe you'll give this a shot. If you don't care for the onyx, then I'd like to know what you are perceiving as an unprofessional pen so those can be easily ruled out.

yngpunk
12-15-2013, 01:10 PM
http://karaskustoms.com/pens.html

At KarasKustoms, we do one thing; manufacture high quality, hand crafted products, and, we do it here in the USA. Since the beginning, our goal has been to use our collective experiences to bring unique, trendsetting products to market. We have backgrounds in everything from machining, tool and die work, fabrication, automotive repair and restoration, to product design and development. These skill sets allow us to find a market need and to make a quality, well designed product to fill that need. Because we make what we sell, we are able to control everything from product development to manufacturing, and do it all under one roof. We love what we do, and we hope it shows.

MattTuck
12-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Matt,

So I had another look at the specific pens in your initial post - and I never thought I could bring myself to care enough to say this but I don't like the Signo one bit. I do like the design of the Ti pen in the link you posted, but my cheap and inexperienced self doesn't like the fact that its Ti and has a bunch of glorified BS as its features (eg: Pocket Clip...wth). I use the uniball onyx, since that's stocked by our dept and I like it quite a bit. Given that it looks, to me, similar to the Ti pen maybe you'll give this a shot. If you don't care for the onyx, then I'd like to know what you are perceiving as an unprofessional pen so those can be easily ruled out.

slidey,

I've tried the uniball onyx, maybe 5-10 years ago, and remember not liking them because they felt like you were scratching cuniform onto a clay tablet... not smooth at all. I should give it a try though, as ink technology may have improved the feel of the pen.

I'm not a big fan of the Ti pen I had listed, other than it takes the ink refills that I like. I'd honestly prefer it to be a bit thicker (atleast judging from the pictures) and I'm not sure if the Ti would make it too light for my liking.

As far as words like "professional" and "clean", that speaks more to my personal preferences for design. I want something with clean lines, not too ostentatious, and something that has a bit more class for times when you're with people much more senior to you, or in interviews.

Example of 'unprofessional' pen, this one designed by Sylvester Stallone
http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Limited-edition-Montegrappa-Chaos-pen-designed-by-Sylvester-Stallone-1.jpg

Example of a potentially 'professional' pen, but still a bit loud for my tastes.
http://assets.parkerpen.com/is/image/NewellRubbermaid/S0887830_prmr_imgps_20?$h-645x125$

slidey
12-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Egad! We're on the same page Matt :banana:

Actually, I wouldn't recommend the Onyx to you since despite it saying 'eco' on the side you can't refill it :butt: However such a form factor appeals to me, and maybe it might appeal to you.

I think I see your dilemma now! You've made me do the unthinkable...get frustrated at the lack of choices for a refillable pen with no silly scripts on the side, and a no-nonsense cylindrical form factor (i.e. no bulges anywhere).

I came across these two though as a starting point:
Pilot V7 (http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Precise-Stick-Rolling-Point/dp/B00006IEBL/ref=sr_1_6?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1387147927&sr=1-6&keywords=pilot+pen) - Have used these, and used to like them. Would use them again if I cared enough to switch, but the Onyx works for now.

Uni-ball (http://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-Deluxe-Roller-Stick-Waterproof/dp/B00FZYTJA8/ref=sr_1_36?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1387147844&sr=1-36&keywords=micro+tip+pen) something

Example of 'unprofessional' pen, this one designed by Sylvester Stallone
http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Limited-edition-Montegrappa-Chaos-pen-designed-by-Sylvester-Stallone-1.jpg

Example of a potentially 'professional' pen, but still a bit loud for my tastes.
http://assets.parkerpen.com/is/image/NewellRubbermaid/S0887830_prmr_imgps_20?$h-645x125$

polyhistoric
12-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Without getting into whether one "needs" a nice pen, it certainly is a lovely luxury to write with a high quality fountain pen. Not all such pens have to be exorbitant - a Lamy Safari is a great writing pen for $35. You can get an icon of modern design (and possibly the penultimate in fountain pen technology) in a vintage Parker 51 for not much more. I have been lucky to assemble a great collection of fountain pens (vintage and modern) with various nibs for different uses. Like our bikes, there is always an N+1 for pens.

Luxury roller balls tend to be a form of office jewelry for those consigned to desk work. You can find something with nice weight, balance, and materials for less than $100 and still feel "special."

If you have a pen store in your mall (or are more lucky to have an old school pen shop - Bromfield in Boston, MA) go play around. I would suggest avoiding lacquered brass or the CNC aluminum/ti pens as they are eye candy, but not engineered for great writing.

SolidSnake03
12-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Having owned a Lamy Safari I can verify how great a pen it is price none-withstanding. It is a very smooth pen with the kind of industrial design style I personally love. The Safari is a great intro to Fountain Pens and for many, a great stopping point too, really no reason for many to explore further. It's that solid of a pen

yashcha
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Received these as gifts. When using these pens, glad that I am not left handed. I have to admit, I am not half as interested in pens as I am about cycling, but I do have a weakness for beautifully made things.

Since I am not working right now, the top and the bottom stay in our safe, while my wife uses the middle one at work at the Consulate. She says she loves the weight and the balance of the Cartier, as well as it's smooth motion. I assume it writes like a well ridden campy record hubset...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/yashcha/61256e2cfc831df9dbc033771b6c76f3_zps3b010e65.jpg

An interesting thread!

yngpunk
12-17-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.ianschon.com/pen.html

The Pen Project designer Ian Schon set out to create a pen that is simple, unobtrusive in the pocket, aesthetically pleasing, and reliable. It will wear in with the user and not wear out to be thrown away. After 5 months of iterations and a successful Kickstarter campaign these pens are now a reality. No springs, clips, attachments or unnecessary pieces, just a simple pen that will outlast anything else on the market.

FEATURES:

- Body and Cap made from 6061 Aluminum
- Pressurized ink cartridge from Fisher in Boulder City, Nevada
- Custom slotted brass setscrews
- Takes Fisher Space Pen cartridge
- Made in the USA

DIMENSIONS:

- Diameter: 0.5”
- Length: 4" closed, 5.75" open
- Setscrew: 3/8" Length

torquer
12-17-2013, 11:54 AM
This is probably OT to the original OT...
In architecture school in the 70's, the Rapidiograph system of technical pens was all the shizzle. But some of our teachers (not necessarily old-timers) used the Pelikan Graphos pen sets, mainly for their ability to do ultra-fine, ultra-close lines ("poche"), as well as the relative economy of replacement nibs (which wore down rapidly, especially when used on mylar sheets, although we couldn't always afford those.). I thought the packaging was cool.
http://www.mathsinstruments.me.uk/_wp_generated/wp4933c359_06.jpg
This is a world totally eclipsed by CAD programs. But these pens have the same sort of geeky attraction some of us also have for downtube shifters;)

slidey
12-17-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm sure this is made with the touch of pixie dust, but functionally speaking it seems to be lacking the metal clip on the cap. If this observation is correct, then being someone who makes excessive use of this feature, I can't understand the thinking or lack thereof that went into designing this.

And care to explain what wearing in means in this context. :confused:

http://www.ianschon.com/pen.html

The Pen Project designer Ian Schon set out to create a pen that is simple, unobtrusive in the pocket, aesthetically pleasing, and reliable. It will wear in with the user and not wear out to be thrown away.

AngryScientist
12-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm sure this is made with the touch of pixie dust, but functionally speaking it seems to be lacking the metal clip on the cap. If this observation is correct, then being someone who makes excessive use of this feature, I can't understand the thinking or lack thereof that went into designing this.

And care to explain what wearing in means in this context. :confused:

i had the same observations. i almost always have my pen in the button neck of my polo shirt: no clip = no good for me.

sg8357
12-17-2013, 01:31 PM

A pen is for scribes and minions.
Get a signet ring or hand chop and hot wax, add a bit of ribbon for special
purchase orders.

Gothard
12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
can't believe I have had (one like) this for over 20 years. Love love love Parkers.

giordana93
12-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Dont have my camera handy, but I'm a huge fountain pen fan. Lucky enough that my dad gave me his sheaffer pfm (!) that he never used. I think anyone who appreciates pens at all really must try a fountain pen. The refillable ones (from ink bottle, not cartridges) can practically pay for themselves in savings over cartridges. And gone are the days when you couldn't get waterproof ink. A great, great pen for cheap is the Pilot (http://www.gourmetpens.com/2013/04/review-pilot-78g-green-fountain-pen.html#.UrDvdRG9KK0) 78g in medium (the fine is a needle--you could write the Constitution on a postage stamp, but the greater ink flow of the medium and broad points allow smoother, more expressive writing) about $12 on the bay, or if you can find an old Sheaffer Nononsense. The Lamy Safari is also good, but I tend to like the older vintage pens, like Sheaffers and Esterbrooks, easy to find for $15-50 depending on models. Also have a semi flexi Eversharp Skyline (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/skyline.htm)

Neil
12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Normally in my bag:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kxJop-UF0nA/TzAhJNsC3WI/AAAAAAAADtQ/9UyO1IGZ21Q/w784-h586-no/2012+-+1

Anarchist
12-22-2013, 06:15 PM
You can buy a workable ride from WalleyWorld, too, if all you want to do is run down to the corner to pick up a loaf of bread. :rolleyes:

Cute answer,

I am a partner in one of the big 4 accounting/consulting firms. I use a "pen" for about 15 minutes a day, and anything that takes a Parker or Space Pan refill is fine with me.

Other than that I am on the keyboard.

The reference to "professional' frankly baffles me. How is a pen "professional" ??

I grab whatever is closest to me.

Seramount
12-22-2013, 07:47 PM
PaperMate, medium point, blue.

FGC
12-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Ian Schon of pen project fame races UCI Elite CX and is a member of this forum. Besides that, his pen is great. I bring it everywhere.