PDA

View Full Version : @ age 60, reconsidering rigid fork on Potts 29er.

Dave Ferris
12-12-2013, 08:32 PM
After putting a deposit down late Oct. it will be a few months before I have to make a final decision, so I have some time.. But after riding twice a week the past month down this fireroad by my home (where I'll do 80% of my trail riding), where there are some pretty nasty ruts and rock gardens--I'm considering a Fox 100mm fork as opposed to the Type 2 Cunningham.

I know it's considered sacrilegious in some Potts/mtn biking circles...but hey I'm 60, mainly a runner and all biking (road & mtn.) are crosstraining for me. So I don't want to get too thrashed, I get enough of that just trying to keep my running thing going these days.

In fact in our initial meeting, Steve suggested the Fox option over the type 2. Especially after finding out I was a pro musician/pianist for 45 years. He's grown up around musicians and said..yeah we have to protect those hands. But I pretty much pushed for the rigid.

I've been in close contact with a local rigid Potts owner out by Jack Brunk in TO. He's at age 44 and has his set up as a SS. He's also much taller then me at 6'3", and has the option to go with a suspended fork if he ever chooses someday.

I'm at 5'9" and Steve he wouldn't feel right about building a frame that could accommodate both for me at my height..So it's either one or the other. It's a boatload of dough to be locked into a rigid, never having ridden a rigid. I did start on an old Stumpjumper M1 hardtail back in the 80s (with front shock) but have been on a FS Ellsworth Truth since 2004.

The fellow in TO has offered to lend me his bike but because of the huge discrepancy in the geo, he thought it would be inconclusive. And to tell the truth, not sure I could even make it up my trail on a SS to test the downhill...lol It's pretty darn steep.

So basically wanted to get some thoughts on it and wanted to see if there were any older mtn. bikers at 60 or over doing rigid. Generally on the Mtn. Bike forum it seems all the rigid enthusiasts are 20s, 30's or early to middle 40's. Anyone that's 60 or over knows how things change after 50 and into the middle to late 50s.

Also I don't care about going faster downhill with the Fox, it's more about comfort and not getting too beat up.

Thanks in advance.

John H.
12-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Get gears- you could go 1x11- SRAM XX1 is idiot proof.
Get the shock- your body will thank you- no sacrilege, just function.
At 5'9 you may want to consider 650B. A 650B will handle better for you and be just as fast.

Ken Robb
12-12-2013, 10:06 PM
You aren't young. You aren't a racer. You don't have to prove how tough you are. The builder's first thought for you was a suspension fork bike. Why wouldn't you get the comfort and terrain-smoothing of a suspension fork?

gasman
12-12-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm 60 next year. I have an old cannondale killer v that has a headshox that gives almost no shock adsorption. I also have a full suspension Santa Cruz Blur with a Fox shock. If the terrain is anything but good dirt roads or single track I'll take my full suspension bike. I feel much less beat up after a day of going over roots, rocks, etc. Plus my hands don't go numb.
Go for the shock.

Jack Brunk
12-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Call me.

weaponsgrade
12-13-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm quite a bit younger than 60, but I'd go with the shock. I had Paul Sadoff build me a 650b with a suspension corrected rigid fork. The last time I rode a rigid fork was during college in the 90s. I was trying to relive the glory days. On anything other than super smooth trails, I got beat up. It wasn't like how I remembered. I put a suspension fork on and haven't looked back.

Kirk007
12-13-2013, 01:20 AM
get the suspension fork. I have a rigid 29er. It's now a commuter/fire road only rig. Picked up a Lynskey 29er with suspension fork for trails - its a blast!

Peter P.
12-13-2013, 04:07 AM
I'm 53 and have never ridden with suspension.

I currently ride a 26" Rock Lobster with a suspension corrected rigid fork. No problems.

Interestingly, Sean Walling of Soulcraft (http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/forks.php) will not build a suspension corrected 29" rigid fork because of the stresses the long fork blades incur. Read down the page for his explanation.

Food for thought.

RA
12-13-2013, 04:10 AM
I'm 55 about 6' 2 and as mentioned on the previous thread have a Potts 29 with the type 11. With fat tyres and swept back Ragley carbon bars it feels really close to my old Moots ybb 26 with 80mm fork, but that said I don't ride really rough trails on it. I'd say if you have any doubts go with the suspension fork as Steve suggested but maybe 80mm? Or depending on your height possibly consider a 650b with suspension fork.

bewheels
12-13-2013, 05:46 AM
As others had said - you have nothing to prove. This bike is for you. Go with the suspension fork. Your shoulders, hands, etc will thank you for it.

AngryScientist
12-13-2013, 05:59 AM
disclaimer: i know zero about mountain bikes.

That said, what was it that initially led you to push for the rigid fork?

also, cant you get a suspension fork with a suspension lock-out? that would effectively let you run the bike with a rigid fork, right?

Mikej
12-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Definately suspension - I would go 80 mm with a lockout, at least you could experiment and go rigid later? Does Mr Potts make a suspension corrected type II?. Even at 44 I learned I'm nowhere NEAR as cool as I used to be ;) Cant wait for pics!

HenryA
12-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Suspension definitely.

I'd go with an 80mm cross country type.
And I'll second the suggestion of a 650B bike.
A little smaller overall and may be the best solution for under 6 footers.
I'm 6'2" and find the in-between size just right.

I'd get the bike geared. Especially if it's your only MTB.

HenryA
12-13-2013, 09:44 AM
If you have any hand trouble, (or not) look at these grips:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp2

A little goofy looking but oh so comfortable.

christian
12-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Wait, Jack Brunk is 6'3"? He rides like a 55cm bike. That can't be right.

Jack Brunk
12-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Wait, Jack Brunk is 6'3"? He rides like a 55cm bike. That can't be right.

5'10" slender and shy. Ha

I've spoken to Dave a few times about what type of bike he really wanted based on the his riding area and length of his rides. A rigid front end would be fine with riding mostly fire roads.

I'm in the process of making my Mootry a rigid and i ride a much different terrain than Dave will. riding rigid is way different than riding with suspension. Technique makes all the difference.

John H.
12-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but you have multiple bikes in the quiver for different conditions.
You can always lock out a fork.
Not like a Potts Type II is a light fork- so not a crazy weight penalty.

5'10" slender and shy. Ha

I've spoken to Dave a few times about what type of bike he really wanted based on the his riding area and length of his rides. A rigid front end would be fine with riding mostly fire roads.

I'm in the process of making my Mootry a rigid and i ride a much different terrain than Dave will. riding rigid is way different than riding with suspension. Technique makes all the difference.

pdmtong
12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Firstly, I know how to ride rigid. To Jacks point, there is a technique to doing it smoothly. But, I can also say that once the trail turns rough, that whole floating the bar in your hands is just a ride style I am done with.

Although you are 60 today, a Potts should be a bike you will be riding when you are 70. And, I suspect when you are 70, you will appreciate the benefits and flexibility that suspension will allow in your riding. So make the choice for today with tomorrow in mind.

I know its not purist to have suspension on a Potts...but this is about rider comfort and safety, Not that this is in your thoughts, but if I saw you riding the first thing I would think is damn, that guy is on a Potts. Then I might think. Hey, older rider, Then I would for sure think damn, older rider on a Potts. That guy is living the dream.

Get a Fox, lock it out if you need and dont look back.

Dave Ferris
12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the replies.

First off, I'm definitely going geared. The ss reference was to the other Potts rigid owner who lives out by Jack. I'm sure to many serious climber types 1700' elevation gain in 3 miles is no huge challenge on a ss..but me not being *a bike guy* per se, it's way harder then I want to work on a cross-training day. And again, I'd doubt I'd have the chops to do it.

Even the Sram 1 X11 that I did try out on a Moots YBB 29er was a bit harder then I want to work. Sometimes it would be cool but in the long run I think it would negate the cross-training/easier day effect from running. Like an AM ride after a PM track workout where I'm doing a dozen 400 meter repeats.

What gave me the idea to do a rigid in the first place ? I guess reading the Mtn. Bike forums about the Potts, the type 2 and various owners (in their late 30s to early 40s) glowing reviews about it. I got caught up in the *purist* aspect of it I guess. There didn't seem to be that much out there on Steve's mtn bikes that didn't have the rigid type 2 on it.

Also I'd like to ride it on the road a bit. I know you can lock out the shock but I hear it's not the same. Where I live, some of the residential streets go well up into the mountains, almost at the same elevation as the fireroads. If I wanted to burn some extra calories after dinner, I could do a quick half hour climb to the top without having to mess with the trail after dark.

Regarding the 80mm shock. Fox doesn't make them anymore..it's all 100mm now.

Regarding the 650 vs 29er. I was seriously considering the 650 but I did demo a Moots YBB 29er a few months back and it was perfect for that trail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwZoCrJqzE
It's not narrow, technical single track but pretty much typical So. Cal wide open fireroad albeit, rocky rutted and sandy.. The Moots had a kinda monster-truck over everything effect that I really liked. If I lived back East and did more techy stuff, the 650B would be first choice hands down. And at some point I will have one...something like this.
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/27-5-650b/772137d1360959375-my-new-ride-017_kish-full-res-l.jpg

Thanks Jack for your offer to ride both your Firefly and ss Mootry. I'll get a better idea of what's going on since the geo will be closer. I am leaning towards the Fox 100mm.

the bottle ride
12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I am 41, love the rigid ride of a 29er (not the smaller wheel please), because you have to be on it (but when you are, it rocks) but if I had to limit myself to one bike, it would have the squish in the front.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6824085678_2ecea937fa_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67486719@N00/6824085678/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5108/5633288816_a9a00ed749_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67486719@N00/5633288816/)

Dave Ferris
12-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Although you are 60 today, a Potts should be a bike you will be riding when you are 70. And, I suspect when you are 70, you will appreciate the benefits and flexibility that suspension will allow in your riding. So make the choice for today with tomorrow in mind.

I know its not purist to have suspension on a Potts...but this is about rider comfort and safety, Not that this is in your thoughts, but if I saw you riding the first thing I would think is damn, that guy is on a Potts. Then I might think. Hey, older rider, Then I would for sure think damn, older rider on a Potts. That guy is living the dream.

Thanks pdmtong. My thoughts exactly. I see how things have changed just from 50 to 60. God willing, I want to be able to continue riding ( and running) up that fireroad into my 70s and who knows, hopefully beyond that into my 80s.

The safety thing is an issue too being a piano player. I know mtn biking involves risks but I'd rather take my chances on that particular trail then dealing with the cars around here.

John H.
12-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Don't worry about keeping the Potts classic.
Disc brakes are not classic- A Potts with a Type II fork should be equipped with roller cam or toggle cam brakes.
Get the Suspension fork and enjoy this fine bicycle!

jh_on_the_cape
12-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Get a suspension fork with a bar mounted lockout. Then on your fireroad days just lock it out.
For aesthetics, have the lowers painted to match and no decals.

I had a custom rigid fork painted to match on a custom 29er. I rode it once or twice and swapped out to a suspension fork just to give it a whirl. Never put the rigid fork back on. It's just much more fun for me.

I am also a runner. If you are not racing, you are not worried about efficiency or wieght or all of that. You just want a different work out and you don't want to injure yourself and just have some fun. That means suspension. Especially at your age.

bluesea
12-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd look into a 34mm fork with lock out of course. You get a very nice ride even locked.

Matt-H
12-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Firstly, I know how to ride rigid. To Jacks point, there is a technique to doing it smoothly. But, I can also say that once the trail turns rough, that whole floating the bar in your hands is just a ride style I am done with.

Wise words from Paul.

Many years of happy trails to you, Dave.

bluesea
12-14-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm 53 and have never ridden with suspension.

I currently ride a 26" Rock Lobster with a suspension corrected rigid fork. No problems.

Interestingly, Sean Walling of Soulcraft (http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/forks.php) will not build a suspension corrected 29" rigid fork because of the stresses the long fork blades incur. Read down the page for his explanation.

Food for thought.

Interesting read.

But yeah, don't ride a rigid frontend for the panache, ride it for the steering precision.

pbarry
12-14-2013, 10:01 PM
I can see your dilemma. Steve's forks are the prettiest MTB forks made. Maybe not the most compliant tho. You might also consider a rigid Ti or carbon fork. Aesthetically, somewhere in between the Type II and a suspension fork, with more comfort. Whichever decision you make, you're gonna love that frame! :hello:

Dave Ferris
01-19-2015, 06:30 PM
and it's a wonderful bike ! Realized I never posted any pictures. Shots by Mike Varley at Black Mountain.

Started riding it the 2nd week of Sept. and it has just under 600 miles on it. Was out 2 hours yesterday and today and just plain fun !

I've been experimenting with lower tire pressure (around 24 psi) and it helps the cush factor greatly. Also the fact we've had a tad of rain here doesn't hurt matters in regard to the extreme dry, rocky, rutted conditions that have been so prevalent for SO long here in LA.

I swapped out the XT front 26 for a 24, after about 2 weeks, and it definitely takes the edge off the steep climbs in the Verdugo Mountains where I do 90% of my mtn. riding.

However I think I need one lower, as I'm in a somewhat weakened state coming off 9 weeks of radiation for prostate cancer on Dec.31. I can do the 2000' in 3 mile climb as it is, but it's kicking my a** right now. So going to look into the Wolftooth 40t on the back.

I was a bit anxious the wait time ran over then what was initially anticipated planned (11 months), but in the end, I'd do it again.

I will have a rigid type II at some point - whether it's another 29er, 27.5, CX or Road bike. ;)

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10653756_10153417806100021_8260663804328553089_n.j pg?oh=e574cf84eb189408a1e1342d9c594f73&oe=556C7C93

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10001096_1540731129514468_1719791462917972372_o.jp g

pbarry
01-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the update. You are making a quick recovery! Don't push too hard 'till all is well. :)

Great choices all around, imo. Sweet build, awesome frame, and someone who's into wearing out that rig. Cheers

malcolm
01-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Beautiful bike Dave. I'm about to take the Kish out for a few hours today. Sunny and clear mid 50s to mid 60s today in the southeast.

You are probably getting pretty close to the sweet spot for tire pressure. I suspect you are lighter than me and I run my 650b at around 22 in the front and 25 rear and it pretty rooty and rocky where I ride. I'll lightly touch the rim a couple times on a hard ride, but they roll pretty good and really bite at that pressure, I'm running the stiffer side wall Ralphs so they can probably take a little lower pressure.