PDA

View Full Version : They're at it again....S is suing another small business.

sales guy
12-12-2013, 07:48 AM
So, just after "apologizing" to Dan Richter, S is at it again!

He is suing epixgear.com over their name.

Again, tiger isn't changing its stripes, why would S!?

keevon
12-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Surely they don't have exclusive rights to the word "Epic" and its derivatives.

ultraman6970
12-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Just insane... somebody is taking dope at specialized, who knows how many letter they send every month.

https://www.facebook.com/epixgear

ultraman6970
12-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Is not about the word this time, looks like is about the logo, to me they dont even look similar.

William
12-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Is not about the word this time, looks like is about the logo, to me they dont even look similar.

I don't see the connection. Not even remotely close. I would never have thought of "S" looking at the Epix logo. I guess their legal department is set on trashing "S"'s public image?:confused:

William

phcollard
12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Let's keep the lawyers busy uh?

I don't want to hear about this effin' brand anymore.

William
12-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Let's keep the lawyers busy uh?

I don't want to hear about this effin' brand anymore.

You will be hearing from my lawyers shortly!:butt:

William:p

phcollard
12-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Lol. This made my day :) :)

Is "big boy" trademarked as well?

54ny77
12-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Can I sue Specialized for loss (diminished value) of my two Specialized bikes?

pbarry
12-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I'd love to see them file a suit against Vail Resorts for their "Epic Pass".

Ahneida Ride
12-12-2013, 09:27 AM
A local company in business for 100 years,using the family name,
is being suing by a NFL football team that has part of the same word.

This company has nothing to do with sports.

BumbleBeeDave
12-12-2013, 09:27 AM
. . . they are not suing. They just sent a C&D letter. But at this point I guess it's academic.

The only real question now is which of the Three Stooges are running The Big S's legal and PR departments.

BBD

crossjunkee
12-12-2013, 09:30 AM
This one seems strange. I wonder if they contacted Specialized before going straight to social media?

sales guy
12-12-2013, 09:31 AM
. . . they are not suing. They just sent a C&D letter. But at this point I guess it's academic.

BBD

Agreed. Not suing YET, but a letter of the same calibre as Roubaix is indeed out there AGAIN! This time, over a word, not spelled the same, stylized the same or anything!!!

They just don't learn or care, that is the ending of it. They just don't.

sales guy
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
This one seems strange. I wonder if they contacted Specialized before going straight to social media?

If they did or didn't, it doesn't matter. It is a massive over reach on the part of S. Again, you can't sue one and not the other. Epic Bikes in Georgia has never had a letter or anything sent their way.

Why not?

YET...EPIX gear has? For using the word EPIC?

They didn't even use the damn word!

crossjunkee
12-12-2013, 09:35 AM
If they did or didn't, it doesn't matter. It is a massive over reach on the part of S. Again, you can't sue one and not the other. Epic Bikes in Georgia has never had a letter or anything sent their way.

Why not?

Just seems strange, that's all. I'm not an internet lawyer, and know nothing about the details. Epix should just tell them, no.

sitzmark
12-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Agreed. Not suing YET, but a letter of the same calibre as Roubaix is indeed out there AGAIN! This time, over a word, not spelled the same, stylized the same or anything!!!

They just don't learn or care, that is the ending of it. They just don't.

Isn't a word - it's a logo/design issue. Most likely color and font selection.

This is just how marks are defended. Either the marketing team is tasked with watching for "infringements" or a trademark monitoring service is hired. Concerns are passed to attorneys for followup. The TM industry has general guidelines for how words, combinations of words, design elements, and industry association creates conflict, but because trademarking is a bit nebulous anyway the boundaries are defined by challenge. It's a part of business that comes with the territory.

C&Ds create a record of notice. Where it goes from there is part of the discussion and circumstances that follow.

bloody sunday
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Why not?

I believe, as others stated, that the issue is most likely the logo, not the particular word.

plattyjo
12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
The logos look totally different, though. It's like their lawyers are using 'bots to do their research.

sales guy
12-12-2013, 11:04 AM
The logos look totally different, though. It's like their lawyers are using 'bots to do their research.

Robots to search for their stuff....that would be EPIC!!!!

Oh ····! No Sinyards gonna sue me.

MattTuck
12-12-2013, 11:07 AM
The word tone deaf comes to mind.

Do these things get handled by an internal legal team or through outside counsel? Either way, Specialized should look carefully at its legal strategy.

Sinyard must get a kickback from the bar association.

This would be a great case for some enthusiastic law school students to take on pro bono.

Charles M
12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Quote from Cyclingnews story...

"Sinyard said that the actions by Specialized had hurt the brand and changes would be made to how the company targets future trademark disputes."

And then Bam...

Epix Gear...

54ny77
12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Oh Sarah Borrey, where art thou?

:bike:

Hawker
12-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Sheesh, wouldn't' you think at after the Canadian fiasco that strategically at least someone would have said; no more C&D letters for at least the month of December.

Sounds like Specialized needs to license this jersey as their very own.

ultraman6970
12-12-2013, 11:46 AM
LOL you have the word effin registered? :D

BumbleBeeDave
12-12-2013, 11:57 AM
I guess in some universe somebody might think the two companies are associated, but I'm thinkin' it's not THIS universe. WAY totally different looks.

BBD

SpokeValley
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote from Cyclingnews story...

"Sinyard said that the actions by Specialized had hurt the brand and changes would be made to how the company targets future trademark disputes."

And then Bam...

Epix Gear...

Not giving Big S any credit, but the letter to Epix may have gone out before Cafe Roubaix went nuclear...let's see what happens with this one.

I wonder if MS will have to fuel up the jet...I don't know if he has one, wouldn't be surprised, though. ;)

professerr
12-12-2013, 12:22 PM
The word tone deaf comes to mind.

Do these things get handled by an internal legal team or through outside counsel? Either way, Specialized should look carefully at its legal strategy.

Sinyard must get a kickback from the bar association.

I've seen how this goes down enough times to speak with some authority. In my experience, legal departments and outside counsel usually aren't stupid and don't want to pick fights they won't likely win in actual court or the court of public opinion. These are corporate and/or trademark lawyers, not Gloria Allred, and the ones I've seen who have been around a while know how this ends -- once the heat is one, the lawyer gets thrown under the bus for wasting a bunch of money and good will.

The guys driving this sort of stuff are often an agro C-level exec (e.g. Sinyard) or, occasionally, someone in sales who wants legal to "do something" about some perceived IP slight. You'll never know this, however, looking in from the outside.

sg8357
12-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Of course not, Rapha owns the word "Epic"

josephr
12-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd love to see them file a suit against Vail Resorts for their "Epic Pass".

Or maybe IMBA for labeling trail systems as "Epic?"
Joe

Louis
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I've decided to sue Sinyard for breathing some air molecules that were intended for my use. That clearly infringes on my continued operations.

vqdriver
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Not giving Big S any credit, but the letter to Epix may have gone out before Cafe Roubaix went nuclear...

that's what comes to mind for me as well. who knows, there may be even more to surface.

i mean, no one's THAT dumb right? even if they had a legit argument (i don't think they do) the timing couldn't be worse. they're doing themselves more harm than anything.

Louis
12-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Does all this mean I have to get rid of my S__________ (I don't dare use the word, lest they sue me for doing that) water bottles?

I used to like them.

bikingshearer
12-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Is "big boy" trademarked as well?

Yup. By some guy named Bob.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/bikingshearer/bobsbigboy_zps7f621a5a.jpg (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/bikingshearer/media/bobsbigboy_zps7f621a5a.jpg.html)

William
12-12-2013, 02:43 PM
This dude just showed up at my door with a cease and desist letter!:crap:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/artifacts/archives/bigboy.jpg

William;)

sales guy
12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Here you go. The letter to EPIX Gear. They are claiming the logo and the use of the word EPIC/EPIX.

This garbage is just stupid. The letter is listed as December 4. With a reply demand of December 10. Not exactly a ton of time to review things.

54ny77
12-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Dewey Screwem & Howe, Counselors.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Dewey Screwem & Howe, Counselors.

Or, We'll, Getcha & Mangle Ya, LLP [a play on Weil, Gotschal & Manges, LLP]

josephr
12-12-2013, 07:54 PM
If you look at Café Roubaix's facebook page, looks like old man Sinyard paid the guys a visit, apologized in person. Even got photos. Maybe everything is OK with the Big S after all???
Joe

Uncle Jam's Army
12-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Here you go. The letter to EPIX Gear. They are claiming the logo and the use of the word EPIC/EPIX.

This garbage is just stupid. The letter is listed as December 4. With a reply demand of December 10. Not exactly a ton of time to review things.

I'd hate to be Lori Meddings (the author of this CD letter). Not sure I understand why Specialized is farming out this work to a somewhat obscure Wisconsin-based firm.

BumbleBeeDave
12-12-2013, 08:14 PM
If you look at Café Roubaix's facebook page, looks like old man Sinyard paid the guys a visit, apologized in person. Even got photos. Maybe everything is OK with the Big S after all???
Joe

Way too little too late as far as apology--and probably dictated by the PR department. Sinyard looked incredibly uncomfortable during the whole thing.

BBD

DRZRM
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Mike Sinyard's Open Letter to the Community (http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/12/mike-sinyards-open-letter-to-the-industry/)

Apparently the Epix letter pre-dated the Cafe Roubaix and the complaint has also been withdrawn.

"As a result we’re going to take a much closer look at all pending and future intellectual property and trademark issues, making sure to only pursue those that present a clear and obvious danger. The letter on Epix Gear was issued before the Café Roubaix story broke and has since been pulled.

I handled this very poorly and I own full responsibility. Dan at Café Roubaix and I have become friends and he’s happy with the solution. I hope you too accept my sincere apology. Like you all, I’m passionate about cycling and want to do everything possible to grow the activity we all love.

Sincerely,

-Mike Sinyard"

plattyjo
12-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Mike Sinyard's Open Letter to the Community (http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/12/mike-sinyards-open-letter-to-the-industry/)

"As a result we’re going to take a much closer look at all pending and future intellectual property and trademark issues, making sure to only pursue those that present a clear and obvious danger.

Hopefully this is true and we won't have to hear about frivolous C&D letters for a long, long time...

JAGI410
12-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Apparently the Epix letter pre-dated the Cafe Roubaix and the complaint has also been withdrawn.

And Epix just posted that they were not aware of this. This whole thing is silly.

don compton
12-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Pleeeeeeeeease

"As a result we’re going to take a much closer look at all pending and future intellectual property and trademark issues, making sure to only pursue those that present a clear and obvious danger. The letter on Epix Gear was issued before the Café Roubaix story broke and has since been pulled.

I handled this very poorly and I own full responsibility. Dan at Café Roubaix and I have become friends and he’s happy with the solution. I hope you too accept my sincere apology. Like you all, I’m passionate about cycling and want to do everything possible to grow the activity we all love.

Sincerely,

-Mike Sinyard"
Pleeeeease!

Louis
12-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Pleeeeease!

That's what happens when the little guy gets a few of this buddies to come along and help - the big school-yard bully backs down pretty quick.

Black Dog
12-12-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd hate to be Lori Meddings (the author of this CD letter). Not sure I understand why Specialized is farming out this work to a somewhat obscure Wisconsin-based firm.

Wisconsin based firm. Hmmmm. Perhaps this is a prank by trek to take S down a few pegs.

W T F? Where did that moving red dot on my chest come frooooo

54ny77
12-12-2013, 11:56 PM
great comment:

"Epic 29 Guy - 12/12/13 - 9:26pm
The solution is easy, for the premium paid on Specialized bikes, just bring the manufacturing home and you would have less of these embarrassing situations. Why? Because the Chinese firms that currently build them cannot steal your designs and counterfeit your bikes.

Case closed."