PDA

View Full Version : Fixed gear crank length (was: Marburg worries about minutiae)

Marburg
01-21-2006, 08:45 PM
So I'm building up a "road" style fixie. Seems like the conventional wisdom is to put short (165-ish) cranks on the fixers for avoiding the pedal strikes and spin and whatnot. Anyone disagree with that opinion?

Here's what I've got: I've been riding fixed for the last 4 or 5 years on a a SS cyclocross frame with 172.5 cranks (my norm) _and_ a raised BB (cross frame). Result -- only one pedal strike. Going to a more road (recycled Eyetalian steel) geometry means a lower BB means ... ?

I've been bitten before by changes in crank length (going from 172.5 - 170 before big rides = pain!), which seems like minutiae and exceedingly dumb. But I'm worried that switching between my 172.5 roadie and my 165 fixie will, uh, wear two different grooves in my knees?

Anyway, anyone have anything wise or smartalec to say on the matter?

Fixed
01-21-2006, 09:20 PM
bro I like 165 on a fix they spin up real nice, that is what I would use cheers :beer: road bike trainer 172.5, race bike 175 as long as my saddle is in the right spot it's all good i.m.h.o.

yeehawfactor
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
fixed, why longer on the race bike? i can think of numerous reasons, but would like to hear yours

Fixed
01-21-2006, 10:39 PM
bro i could say it doubles as my t.t. bike and it does. but real reason is I got the cranks for christmas from my bro the top wrench in town he said this is what you need for your new bike and gave them to me I've known the bro for 20 years and i respect his advise.and his friendship cheers :beer:

Marburg
01-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Hm. Looks like I might have to try the old short-crank experiment. I can always convince some other sucker to take 'em off my hands...