PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Hangers

campy man
12-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Any feedback on rear brake hangers for centerpull brakes? These are the types that attach to the seat binder bolt. Considering models from Nitto, Surly and Interloc.

PSC
12-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Pretty simple device. I would go with something that had a longer length, so your housing/cable will run straighter. I'd go with Surly, since it is both long and cheap.

donevwil
12-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Check out Paul Components Funky Monkey, mounts to seatpost, has barrel adjuster and swings to line up with straddle wire.

EricEstlund
12-11-2013, 06:29 PM
The Surly is nice, but quite long. Great if you have a larger frame.

Nitto makes two- a longer plate version, and a shorter wire version (sort of like the Surly). Both are also great.

All three have barrel adjusters.

There are also a host of OEM cast aluminum units similar to the Ird (not quite as long). They generally work fine, but don't always lay "flat".

oldpotatoe
12-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Check out Paul Components Funky Monkey, mounts to seatpost, has barrel adjuster and swings to line up with straddle wire.

Used this in the past, nice piece of gear.

JWDR
12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
I have the surly on my Planet-X Kaffenback. It integrates very well and looks pretty nice with my silver Salsa lip lock seat collar. I like the long length it gives since it helps smooth out the bends in the cable housing.

kenmetzger
12-12-2013, 09:25 AM
The problem with a lot of hangers is that they swivel if the housing doesn't line up perfectly straight to the carrier. This happens a lot with shorter hangers or if the stop on the top tube is farther back because of the tight fit. The effect is that some of the cable pull goes into moving the hanger and not the brakes. The Paul one seems to have solved this by having the hanger in a fixable position. I have had more issue with the Surly one for this for whatever reason.

PaMtbRider
12-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Sort of related but what about front hangers for Paul Racer medium braze-ons? I like the idea of fork mounted hangers for the front. I haven't seen a fork mounted style hanger used with Paul Racer medium brakes but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I also think the Speedvagen integrated stem hanger is pretty cool but don't know how well it works. It is also pricey. Probably end up with a funky monkey if nothing better comes along.

donevwil
12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Sort of related but what about front hangers for Paul Racer medium braze-ons? I like the idea of fork mounted hangers for the front. I haven't seen a fork mounted style hanger used with Paul Racer medium brakes but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I also think the Speedvagen integrated stem hanger is pretty cool but don't know how well it works. It is also pricey. Probably end up with a funky monkey if nothing better comes along.

I have this application on my new S&S bike and a fork mounted hanger is too low (Racer M straddle wire is much higher than one for cantis). Funky Monkey works fine, but ultimately I need a slotted hanger (S&S disassembly) and to me add-on cable hangers look clunky. Currently I'm running a Ritchey CX headset with integrated cable hanger which is a very slick solution, but also isn't slotted. Ultimately I'll probably go the custom stem with integrated hanger route.