PDA

View Full Version : Lynskey or Moots?

parco
12-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I am considering a new bike in the coming months and initially I thought about a Lynskey R230. I know I'll probably have to wait for the frame to be built and a Moots is only a little more money. Does anyone here have experience with both? Is the Moots that much better than the Lynskey? Is the Moots fork any better that the Enve 2.0?

Ahneida Ride
12-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I've always see glowing reviews of Moots here on the Phorum.

Cat3roadracer
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Owning (currently) four modern Ti bikes, the craftsmanship, detail, and finish on the Moots is second to none. They all ride beautifully, but the Moots is my favorite. I would highly recommend, you will not be disappointed.

c-record
12-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Moots.

Just because.

sales guy
12-10-2013, 10:44 AM
As someone whose worked on, ridden on, knows both places and people and visited both place.....moots. Go for the moots.

And about two years ago, Lynskey had a bunch of frames fail in the seat tube near the collar. They had them under the Lynskey and Cotic name fail. The Cotic frames were made by Lynskey.

Fixed
12-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Both are great
Moots for me
Cheers

timto
12-10-2013, 10:47 AM
I've seen both -and yes build quality of the Moots is off the charts if obsessing about your bikes looks is for you (I know i obsess..) The moots is the one production bike I'd trade my Kirk Terraplane for to try.

christian
12-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Really?

MOOTS

oldpotatoe
12-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I am considering a new bike in the coming months and initially I thought about a Lynskey R230. I know I'll probably have to wait for the frame to be built and a Moots is only a little more money. Does anyone here have experience with both? Is the Moots that much better than the Lynskey? Is the Moots fork any better that the Enve 2.0?

I am very biased(used to sell Moots), but get the one that fits the best. If both fit, get the Moots. A better ti frame and company you will not find.

tiretrax
12-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Both are beautiful bikes that are well made and will provide a great ride. In the event you want to get sell it, Moots has better resale value (at least, currently).

mod6
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
As a current owner of a Lynskey copper, if money was no objective I would get the Moots. Thought Lynskey's full retail frame prices are getting close or above a Moots depending on the Model.

Idris Icabod
12-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I've got a Moots, had it from new for almost 10 years and still love it. But a friend recently bought a DeSalvo, if you have some patience, the finish on that sucker is every bit what a Moots is and the price was way better.

texbike
12-10-2013, 11:16 AM
I would love to give a dissenting opinion here, but can't...

Moots all the way!

There are a lot of nice Ti bikes out there and Lynskey makes nice machines. However, the ride quality and detail work on my Vamoots is top notch. I really can't imagine that it could get much better

Texbike

redir
12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm partial to Moots since I own one. The attention to detail is second to none. Mine has a Moots fork, I switched it from an Alpha and frankly I don't notice a huge difference but it was lighter.

tv_vt
12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Blonde or brunette, or redhead.

Hard to decide, indeed.

Pick the one that speaks to you.:rolleyes:

ptourkin
12-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Really?

MOOTS

Yes.

christian
12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Thought Lynskey's full retail frame prices are getting close or above a Moots depending on the Model.
And the resale on a Moots is nearly 2x what the resale on a Lynskey is.

bobswire
12-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Moots,Erikson or Seven but either would work.

Marburg
12-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Just to be difficult, let me say DeSalvo or Strong. Yeah, or Moots

phcollard
12-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Moots. Craftsmanship is unbeatable.

I like Lynskey as well, but only if I want Ti and do not have the budget for a Moots.

Moots rock.

Moots is the king.

discman
12-10-2013, 11:43 AM
In my opinion, Moots quality is a level above Lynskey. Lynskey makes a great frame and their pricing offers great value but if you can do it do the Moots. Lexus vs Mercedes.

jpw
12-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I've always see glowing reviews of Moots here on the Phorum.

not reviews, but the new disc road got a mixed bag of opinions on here not long back.

RFC
12-10-2013, 12:00 PM
I have owned and ridden a number of Ti frames and still have seven Ti bikes -- many Litespeeds (mountain, road and cross) plus Airborne and Quintana Roo road bikes, and a Russian MIG Ti MTB. But I have not ridden a Moots. From the unimpeachable opinions I have read on this unimpeachable forum, I would be willing to give Moots the nod for finish, but not by much. I also think Moots has a little more cache', being viewed as a smaller company when compared to the leading volume producer of Ti frames (Lynskey and Lynskey Litespeed).

We are dealing with a fairly mature and simple technology with defined limits based on the traditional frame geometry and the physical ability to work the Ti. Frankly, I would give the nod to Lynskey for innovation over the years.

If I were you, I would check out the used market. There are many, many Ti frames on eBay with many new ones popping every day. And some of the deals are unbelievable. Plus, Ti frames are very durable. If they haven't been wrapped around a tree, they are virtually immortal. For example, I recently saw two separate Quintana Roo Santo frames and forks go for about $250, and both appeared to be cherry. I have a Santo. It is a beautiful frame and has the best finish I have ever seen, but then I have not laid my hands on a Moots.

At the end of the day, it is going to be about design and fit.

Oh, if you want to talk about finish, check out my 2005 Santo, 1998 Litespeed Ultimate and 1991 Tachyon.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0047r-2.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0047r-2.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0032r.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0032r.jpg.html)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0037r-1.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0037r-1.jpg.html)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0050r-3.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0050r-3.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0039r_zps9c089b6b.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0039r_zps9c089b6b.jpg.html)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0052r_zps5a757cda.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0052r_zps5a757cda.jpg.html)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0055r_zps54e196e6.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0055r_zps54e196e6.jpg.html)

bironi
12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Moots. I own a VaMoots. A couple buddies have Lynskeys. One is a beautiful bike the others are not. My buddies don't like them as well as some other bikes they have owned. There size options seem wierd, have tall head tubes, and overly sloping tt's, other than that - perfect.:beer:

jpw
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
In my opinion, Moots quality is a level above Lynskey. Lynskey makes a great frame and their pricing offers great value but if you can do it do the Moots. Lexus vs Mercedes.

Moots = Mercedes?

RFC
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Moots = Mercedes?

I rather have a BMW. Wait, I do!

Germany_chris
12-10-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't like the finish on Moots IMHO Moots is the Apple of the bike world not a bad thing necessarily but it needs to appeal to you.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

jpw
12-10-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't like the finish on Moots IMHO Moots is the Apple of the bike world not a bad thing necessarily but it needs to appeal to you.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

from an HTC user :rolleyes::)

biker72
12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Never ridden a Lynskey or Moots but I'd like to try a Moots.

Charles M
12-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I just bought a Lynskey...

I like the people a lot. I like the bikes a lot.

I think the product quality is a virtual dead heat between the two.

Germany_chris
12-10-2013, 01:48 PM
from an HTC user :rolleyes::)

iStuff isn't Apple.

Mikej
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Moots x 10 - us made seamless ti tubing vs Lynskey chi-ti

Full disclosure- I ride Eriksens, so I'm partial to the beauty of simplistic lines, Lynskeys are fugly - not sorry I said it.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Moots x 10 - us made seamless ti tubing vs Lynskey chi-ti

Full disclosure- I ride Eriksens, so I'm partial to the beauty of simplistic lines, Lynskeys are fugly - not sorry I said it.

I think that's a good point. Off shore ti can sometimes be 'dirty', Russian or Chinese, cheaper tho. Lotsa us ti tubing, use that.

velotel
12-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Or just go with the original and get an Eriksen, the man who created Moots. Cheaper too I think but only custom. But as others have said, no matter which you'll be happy. I mean, it's only a bike frame. Where you ride is what's important.

Ralph
12-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Believe Lynskey has a 25% off sale going now. How does that affect your opinion?

christian
12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't trust people with high "msrp" prices and constant sales. I don't buy suits at Jos A Bank, either.

AngryScientist
12-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't trust people with high "msrp" prices and constant sales. I don't buy suits at Jos A Bank, either.

haha, i cant help but laugh at those constant commercials.

buy one suit, get 5 free! and 2 shirts! and a tie! ···?

aatores
12-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Get a custom made Stong for less than a Moots and have direct contact with the actual guy who will be welding the frame - not some sales guy. The only drawback is a 6 month wait!

Matthew
12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
I think you will get a nice bike from either company. I would go Moots but I too am biased as I own a 2009 Compact. They make a great bike. Good folks to deal with too. Also own a 2002 Serotta Concours which is also a fantastic frame. As others have said maybe you could find a nice frameset on this forum or elsewhere for a good price. The Moots for me has been worth every penny. Does everything well and is soo smooth.

lemondvictoire
12-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Believe Lynskey has a 25% off sale going now. How does that affect your opinion?

Check today and it's 30% off on Lynskey's website :hello:

tlm993
12-10-2013, 03:53 PM
If a Moots is something on your bucket list, then go for it. It is a really well made and riding frame. I got my new to me Psychlo-X a couple of seasons go and have been very happy with the handling and ride quality. Stiff enough with dampening to take the edge off the bumps.

There are a bunch of really excellent suggestions on this thread so go with your gut and get the frame you want and don't settle. :banana:

54ny77
12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Hey don't knock it--Jos A Bank is the Chinese open mold frame equivalent of dress shirts!

A third or half the price of, say, Brooks Bros. wrinkle-free, just as nice and well made/long-lasting.

That's my biased review....

haha, i cant help but laugh at those constant commercials.

buy one suit, get 5 free! and 2 shirts! and a tie! ···?

ORMojo
12-10-2013, 04:09 PM
While I, personally, have not experienced anything that exceeded my Moots Ti road (and I also have a strong preference for my Mooto-X YBB), based on short experiences, I would have to say that Strong's and DeSalvo's Ti offering are the equals of Moots . . . and, to add one that hasn't been mentioned, based on longer, continuing, current experience, to me, my Spectrum Super Ti is every bit the equal of a Moots. Spectrum's Ti offerings are currently designed, and materials provided (including all cutting, shaping, and other manipulation of the tubes), by Spectrum/Kellogg, with final fabrication by Seven to Spectrum's specifications.

Mikej
12-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Yes. Seven is looking good these days, some of the paint schemes are very nice, I also like the 1.5" taper ht.

Nags&Ducs
12-10-2013, 04:24 PM
I don't own a Moots, but I have a Lynskey Cooper CX (and a Dean Ti road) so my opinions of Lynskey's ride quality for roadies don't apply but I will say I am very happy with the build quality and ride characteristics of my Cooper CX.

If I were to get another Ti frame, I'd have a Moots RSL or a Lynskey Helix OS at the top of my list. The other smaller builders such as Eriksen, Strong, De Salvo, Baum, Firefly- all are dream bike category to me. Wouldn't complain one bit if I were forced to choose between one of them!

crossjunkee
12-10-2013, 04:36 PM
This is only a question if you can't afford the Moots. I've owned both, and Moots is, HANDS DOWN, above and beyond a Lynskey. In all categories. The Lynskey was a fine bike, and I was happy with it. But, you get what you pay for. I sold it as soon as my welds started to show rust. Completely unacceptable on a ti frame.

Nags&Ducs
12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I sold it as soon as my welds started to show rust. Completely unacceptable on a ti frame.

Rust?? It is physically impossible for Ti to rust isn't it? Are you talking about "blue-ing" that happens near the weld area that is indicative of O2 contamination during the welding process?

Anyhow, I do agree with you- between the two, no question. Moots for the win!

crossjunkee
12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Rust?? It is physically impossible for Ti to rust isn't it? Are you talking about "blue-ing" that happens near the weld area that is indicative of O2 contamination during the welding process?

Anyhow, I do agree with you- between the two, no question. Moots for the win!

The rust was in the weld, not the tube. Two places, at the bottom bracket, and rear dropouts.

cnighbor1
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Davidson Ti frame builder was with Moots has a ti frame builder
''Davidson Bicycles – Titanium Road
$2975 frame and fork

In our first 20 years of making thousands of custom steel road bikes, we learned how to tune our designs specifically to the rider. We carry that tradition forward into our titanium bicycles. We design each bike for the rider and the intended use from the ground up and build them one at a time like the old days. You won’t find a more custom bike anywhere from anyone. We want the bike not only to fit you right but also do all the things you want to do with it.''
Davidson Bicycles
2116 Western Ave
Seattle, WA 98121
Phone: 206-441-9998
Fax: 206-441-1815
Email: info@davidsonbicycles.com
ask for either Robert Freeman or bill Davidson
say Charles Nighbor recommended Davidson

jlwdm
12-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I would take my Spectrum over either the Moots or Lynskey.

Jeff

morrisericd
12-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I have had a Seven Axiom as my main squeeze for the last 12 years and I believe (although I'm biased) that there isn't a better made bike out there. Great company - great bike!

572cv
12-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I have an older lynskey cx. Bought it new, when it was being phased out for the newer style. I've never had a moots ( crave the ericksen tho) so I'm not going to offer a comparison perspective, but ... I think the lynskey is a terrific value. I ride it on dirt roads, mild off road, some early season road. It is good enough that I look forward to the transition from Serotta seasons; it may not satisfy everyone's aesthetic, but it is fun to ride, and that is the basic criterion, IMHO. Can't go wrong with the moots, but the lynskey could carry you for some happy miles too.

the bottle ride
12-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I have owned a Lynskey 29er- it was a great bike. I liked the people at the company. I liked the way it rode. But I ended up selling it after a year...

My only knock on the frame (and I have owned/own other ti bikes- Merlin, Indy Fab & moots) is that it felt not quite stiff enough...it was light though. Maybe they made that model (pro sl) light at the cost rigidity.

Lynskey make great bikes.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3198/5845881696_20ee537fb7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67486719@N00/5845881696/)

parco
12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
I really appreciate all these replies. I will need to look into some of these other Ti frame builders that I never considered. I'm so glad to find this site.

Charles M
12-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Virtually everyone else mentioned will be Twice Lynskey's price for very little if any at all difference in Quality...

dekindy
12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I am a fan of Roark, partly because they are near me, but also because of their high quality frames and beautiful finishes.

Roark hosts one of our club weekend rides and give factory tours, big factory as they make titanium parts for a lot of military aircraft. However cycling is a passion for them and they applied their extensive titanium expertise to bicycle frame building. I was inquiring about how to refinish my Serotta during the tour before the ride that got rained out. They saw me starting to leave and stopped me and invited me in for a tutorial on titanium frame refinishing and gave me the necessary Scotch-Brite pads to do the job. Very fine folks.

http://www.roarkcycles.com/
They have a very extensive website explaining their company. Not cheap but if you are looking for a lifetime bike and can afford it should definitely be in the mix.

rphetteplace
12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
2 ti DeSalvo's in my house. Love them both. Have one for the fiancee' in the que that should be done by the end of the month!

ORMojo
12-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Virtually everyone else mentioned will be Twice Lynskey's price for very little if any at all difference in Quality...

I don't quite understand how you can make this claim. Nothing I can find among "everyone else mentioned" comes anywhere near "twice Lynskey's price." Even at full MSRP for "everyone else" AND at Lynskey's current 35% discount, the biggest gap is 1.6 (and that includes a King headset on the Moots Vamoots RSL). But most of them are very comparable, or up to 1.2 times the price of the discounted Lynskey (not even close to "twice" the price) and the DeSalvo is less than the Lynskey. And I absolutely do not agree that there is "very little if any at all difference in Quality." I have had direct experience with 6 of the 7 other manufacturers I list below, and without hesitation I would put Lynskey at the bottom of the list with respect to quality, experience, ride, etc. Not in the cellar, but below the others.

Examples:
Lynskey Helix Road frame only $3,954 ($2,570 after 35% "rebate")
Lynskey Helix Di2 Road frame only $4,194 ($2,726 after 35% "rebate")
Lynskey R450 $5,154 frame only ($3,350 after 35% "rebate")
Also, note that the Lynskey site calculates the after-rebate price of the above higher than what I show as the price after the 35% rebate. For example the R450, at an MSRP of $5,154, should be $3,350 at 35% off, but try buying one right now on the Lynskey site and they want to charge you $3,607.80 - I don't know why.

Moots Vamoots RSL $4,235 (includes King headset & shipping)
Moots Vamoots or Vamoots CR $3,165 (includes King headset & shipping)

Eriksen Road Frame $3,200 (custom)

Spectrum Ti Super $4,100 (custom, including fork, headset, paint if desired, and water bottle) . . . so maybe ~$3,600 for the frame only (still with a paint job if you want it)
Spectrum Ti $3,700 (custom, including fork, headset, paint if desired, and water bottle) . . . so maybe ~$3,200 for the frame only (still with a paint job if you want it)

Roark $3,795 (custom)

DeSalvo Ti Road $2,550 (custom)

Strong Custom Blend Ti Road $3,000 (custom)
Strong Double Butted Ti Road $3,400 (custom)

IF Ti Crown Jewel $4,095 with EDGE fork . . . so, what, $3,700 for the frame

And, based on my experience and observations, I completely concur with this:
And the resale on a Moots is nearly 2x what the resale on a Lynskey is.

Lastly, I'll just mention the rather glowing multi-part series Pez did on the Moots RSL: "PEZ PROJECT MOOTS" . . .

Llewellyn
12-11-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm very happy with my Lynskey Breakaway frame. I wish I could say the same about their Australian retailer.

But the Moots' look nice.

soulspinner
12-11-2013, 05:10 AM
i don't trust people with high "msrp" prices and constant sales. I don't buy suits at jos a bank, either.

+1

jr59
12-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I don't quite understand how you can make this claim. Nothing I can find among "everyone else mentioned" comes anywhere near "twice Lynskey's price." Even at full MSRP for "everyone else" AND at Lynskey's current 35% discount, the biggest gap is 1.6 (and that includes a King headset on the Moots Vamoots RSL). But most of them are very comparable, or up to 1.2 times the price of the Lynskey (not even close to "twice" the price) and the DeSalvo is less than the Lynskey. And I absolutely do not agree that there is "very little if any at all difference in Quality." I have had direct experience with 6 of the 7 other manufacturers I list below, and without hesitation I would put Lynskey at the bottom of the list with respect to quality, experience, ride, etc. Not in the cellar, but below the others.

Examples:
Lynskey Helix Road Frame $3,954 ($2,570 after 35% "rebate")
Lynskey Helix Di2 Road $4,194 ($2,726 after 35% "rebate")
Lynskey R450 $5,154 ($3,350 after 35% "rebate")
Also, note that the Lynskey site calculates the price of the above higher than what I show as the price after the 35% rebate. For example the R450, at an MSRP of $5,154, should be $3,350 at 35% off, but try buying one right now on the Lynskey site and they want to charge you $3,607.80 - I don't know why.

Spectrum Ti Super $4,100 (custom)
Spectrum Ti $3,700 (custom)

Roark $3,795 (custom)

Lastly, I'll just mention the rather glowing multi-part series Pez did on the Moots RSL: "PEZ PROJECT MOOTS" . . .In all

In all fairness, the Spectrum comes painted, with King headset, and fork!

Ahneida Ride
12-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Mr Bedford is at 3600 fed reserve notes for custom Ti.

Includes fork and single color paint and 30+ years of experience.

http://kbedfordcustoms.com/frames/ti-comp-frames

Jeff N.
12-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I own both a Moots Vamoots and a Lynskey Level-4 Custom. The Moots I bought new (custom, with upcharge), the Lynskey (seen elsewhere on this forum) I got second-hand. My Lynskey is highly customized with a combo of 3/2.5 and 6/4 Ti and went for close to 7K retail. It is one sweet ride, somewhat livelier than the Moots. However, I have absolutely zero experience with the other Lynskey offerings. I'd say it's a coin-toss. There is one thing about Moots frames that has no equal: those welds. They look like they were laid by the hand of the Almighty, they're so perfect and uniform...hands down, IMO, the best in the business. Good luck with your choice! Jeff N.

crossjunkee
12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
There is one thing about Moots frames that has no equal: those welds. They look like they were laid by the hand of the Almighty, they're so perfect and uniform...hands down, IMO, the best in the business. Good luck with your choice! Jeff N.

You should see an Eriksen. Keep in mind, we're measuring mole hairs here. Eriksen welds are amazing!

ORMojo
12-11-2013, 10:36 AM
In all

In all fairness, the Spectrum comes painted, with King headset, and fork!

Yes, correct - good catch! I knew, but omitted that. I've edited my post (the Spectrum actually includes just a bit more than you listed!).

rePhil
12-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Ray, correct me if I am wrong. I have nothing against KB but I don't think he has 30 + years of experience with Ti, and if I read his site correctly some else does the welding of his Ti frames.

Idris Icabod
12-11-2013, 10:50 AM
You should see an Eriksen. Keep in mind, we're measuring mole hairs here. Eriksen welds are amazing!

I'm hugely biased as I love my Moots but my friend has a DeSalvo and he also makes some pretty welds.

velotel
12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't quite understand how you can make this claim. Nothing I can find among "everyone else mentioned" comes anywhere near "twice Lynskey's price." Even at full MSRP for "everyone else" AND at Lynskey's current 35% discount, the biggest gap is 1.6 (and that includes a King headset on the Moots Vamoots RSL). But most of them are very comparable, or up to 1.2 times the price of the Lynskey (not even close to "twice" the price) and the DeSalvo is less than the Lynskey. And I absolutely do not agree that there is "very little if any at all difference in Quality." I have had direct experience with 6 of the 7 other manufacturers I list below, and without hesitation I would put Lynskey at the bottom of the list with respect to quality, experience, ride, etc. Not in the cellar, but below the others.

Examples:
Lynskey Helix Road Frame only $3,954 ($2,570 after 35% "rebate")
Lynskey Helix Di2 Road Frame only $4,194 ($2,726 after 35% "rebate")
Lynskey R450 $5,154 frame only ($3,350 after 35% "rebate")
Also, note that the Lynskey site calculates the price of the above higher than what I show as the price after the 35% rebate. For example the R450, at an MSRP of $5,154, should be $3,350 at 35% off, but try buying one right now on the Lynskey site and they want to charge you $3,607.80 - I don't know why.

Spectrum Ti Super $4,100 (custom, including fork, headset, paint if desired, and water bottle)
Spectrum Ti $3,700 (custom, including fork, headset, paint if desired, and water bottle)

Roark $3,795 (custom)

Lastly, I'll just mention the rather glowing multi-part series Pez did on the Moots RSL: "PEZ PROJECT MOOTS" . . .
Thank you for taking the time to look up the info and write that response. Excellent! Nothing like a few hard facts to offset opinion.

ORMojo
12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Thank you for taking the time to look up the info and write that response. Excellent! Nothing like a few hard facts to offset opinion.

You are welcome! Happy to share with the forum what I was curious to compare for myself, because that "twice . . . Lynskey" claim just didn't sound right to me. And the fact that I'm now on day #6 of being snow-bound with kids (schools remain closed) may have something to do with having (too much!) time to look for distractions such as this :)

deluxerider
12-11-2013, 04:55 PM
can you make a mistake with either? my personal preference would be moots, but it's sort of a ford/chevy argument if you ask me.

VA-Scooter
12-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Hard to go wrong -- My car analogy would be Porsche & Ferrari. You see a lot more Lynskey's than Moots. If you want a bit more exclusivity get the Moots. I have known David Lynskey since before he made bikes & have had good luck with 2 of his bicycles.

dee-why
12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Depending on what your looking for in "quality", you can always sell yourself into something you believe is superior. I own several Moots and love each of them.

The reason I would choose Moots is their designs are classic and has been virtually the same over the past 20+ years. Little has changed in the Vamoots except for the headtube size (going from 1" to 1 1/8") since its original design. They've introduced the Compact (now CR) and the RSL since then. Of course, there's the Mootour, etc. For the most part, you feel connected to the company because they're not making radical changes to keep up with trends.

There are lots of other reasons other members can share to help push you toward a Moots but those other custom builders mentioned earlier are all quality.

thunderworks
12-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I have several Lynskey bikes - a Sportive and an R330. Both are fabulous bikes. IMO, the fabrication detail on the Moots is superior to the Lynskey bikes, but I believe that the "ride-per-dollar" lobbies for the Lynskey. The Lynskey business model seems to always have some heavily discounted opportunities. They are a promotion crazy company and with patience, deals can be had.

I think that one reason I like the ride quality of the Lynskey bikes is a result of their heavily shaped tubing. I'm not an engineer, but I strongly suspect that the shaping contributes significantly to a variety of handling characteristics - whether it's BB stiffness, or steering stability, or rear-end vertical compliance topics. I think their tubing really does what they claim.

If cosmetics is a real driver for you as a bicycle rider/owner, buy the Moots. If ride quality is more important, I like Lynskey.

Of course, this is all personal opinion so your mileage may vary.

Netdewt
12-17-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm neither an owner of a titanium bike, nor an expert in framebuilding, but I have noticed Firefly - they make some beautiful bikes.

mcoven
12-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Would you PLEASE just say DOLLARS $$$$$ already?!?

:confused:

By the way, I LOVE my Vamoots!

oldpotatoe
12-17-2013, 02:37 PM

How many ferns equal a dollar$

Tiresome I agree.

Nags&Ducs
12-17-2013, 06:02 PM

I'm guessing that AR is part of the Zeitgeist Movement!! :)

I thought it was a thought provoking series of movies, and I am a fan!

pcxmbfj
12-17-2013, 06:03 PM
I have a Lynskey R230, Dean Colonel, Litespeed Ultimate and Obed.
The Lynskey and Litespeeds have riveted bottle cage bolt holes and the Dean is welded.
Welded looks better to me.

ptourkin
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm guessing that AR is part of the Zeitgeist Movement!! :)

I thought it was a thought provoking series of movies, and I am a fan!

I checked the Zeitgeist movie for "sources" once. Discredited anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists citing further discredited source material. As an attorney, I can state that the "legal" stuff about the constitutionality and structure of the Federal Reserve is utterly inaccurate and mostly made up.

Stepping away now...

Also, I really love my Moots and they've always been a pleasure to deal with.

Marcy
12-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Moots -- they're both great bikes, but those Moots welds mesmerize me.

Eriksen also great, if you can wait a little while. Seven is the bomb, as well.

Have a 20 yr old Lynskey era Litespeed my wife rides, and it's really a great machine. Just comes down to what you really want to own -- or try a little of everything.

Threshold
12-18-2013, 07:16 PM
I here that Lynskey quality is hit or miss. Everyone I've spoken with says Moots are the best.

RacerJRP
12-18-2013, 07:25 PM
I have always dreamt of owning a MOOTS, but when it came time to put my $ up for a sick Ti frame....I went with the Ti legend himself, and put a call into Kent Eriksen.

The wait was a total non-issue, as Kent had my frame to me in just under 6 weeks.

ERIKSEN FTW!

Schmed
12-18-2013, 09:40 PM
My perception is that Moots is quite a bit nicer than Lynskey, but my budget allowed for a Lynskey, and build quality looks very good to me. Maybe not quite Moots welds, but as long as they don't fail, I can certainly deal with these:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/IMG_2122_zps41b99f86.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/IMG_2117_zpsa0ecee70.jpg

kidbill
12-21-2013, 01:31 AM
I've been researching Ti frames... Firefly looks like a good alternative.

ldamelio
12-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Lynskeys crack like eggs - not just at the seat collar - I had two that cracked four times between them in different places and the customer service was poor.Offshore ti poorly welded, gimmicky tube shapes. Beware. Mostly Internet sales and treat dealers poorly. If money an issue, Habanero sells a serviceable bargain ti frame. If cash not an issue, get the Moots.If you really want to do it right, Spectrum, Firefly, Ericksen, Crisp, etc. Last bike you'll ever need.

Llewellyn
12-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Lynskeys crack like eggs - not just at the seat collar - I had two that cracked four times between them in different places and the customer service was poor.Offshore ti poorly welded, gimmicky tube shapes. Beware. Mostly Internet sales and treat dealers poorly. If money an issue, Habanero sells a serviceable bargain ti frame. If cash not an issue, get the Moots.If you really want to do it right, Spectrum, Firefly, Ericksen, Crisp, etc. Last bike you'll ever need.

Bold statements coming from someone with just 2 posts so far

Charles M
12-22-2013, 07:33 PM
ya

I'll go one further and just call Bullsh1t...

ldamelio
12-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Bold statements coming from someone with just 2 posts so far

Well established 'across the hall' and respected (although not at the front of the peloton usually) in my regional (Mid-Atlantic) racing/riding scene (and in the real world). My username is my real name so not hiding anywhere and I stand behind what I wrote.You can reference me over there, google me to see who I am in real life, and read about my issues with these bikes in more detail. I come here for the classifieds usually and am not a major contributor to this forum, but no reason to get personal. I was just relating my experience with two Lynskey bikes (serial numbers 10283 - ProCross and 3523 - R 430) and customer service related to the warranty claims. To expand a little bit, they did eventually replace the R430 frame completely (third time around) but it was a significantly redesigned frame- different dropouts and 300 grams heavier than original - rides like a brick. I had no complaints with the ride quality of the original. To their credit, they replicated the custom paint completely on this warranty. My beef with this bike come from the fact that it was obvious that the first repair would fail and they should have replaced it at that point. The ProCross cracked in the head tube and came back looking like someone had just dropped some filler into the defect - I wasn't willing to trust my teeth to this repair. Others may have had different experiences with Lynskey - these were mine (and there's lots more detail to them that would keep me from ever recommending them). They also treated my LBS dealer poorly, but that's another story unrelated to the intrinsic quality of the bikes. Buy and ride what you like. Ultimately it's not about the bike anyway. It's the experience, personal challenge and people.The bike is just a tool. I just prefer a reliable tool that keeps me riding, not stripping and rebuilding frames and waiting for the UPS truck.

Respectfully 'hiding' as :

Louis D'Amelio
Newtown PA
ldamelio@comcast.net

Anyone wanting more info about my experiences with Lynskey can contact me. BTW - Charles - your custom Lynskey write-up - powder blue and white - I think R330 from a few years ago was one of the things that led me to them. Friends in the industry including a custom ti builder who used to work for them at Litespeed have told me that Lynskey has six or seven welders and some are known to be much better than others. I suspect that your bike, given your exposure on Pez, received a little more attention to detail than the usual consumer's and was welded by one of their lead guys.

tigoat
12-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Well established 'across the hall' and respected (although not at the front of the peloton usually) in my regional (Mid-Atlantic) racing/riding scene (and in the real world). My username is my real name so not hiding anywhere and I stand behind what I wrote.You can reference me over there, google me to see who I am in real life, and read about my issues with these bikes in more detail. I come here for the classifieds usually and am not a major contributor to this forum, but no reason to get personal. I was just relating my experience with two Lynskey bikes (serial numbers 10283 - ProCross and 3523 - R 430) and customer service related to the warranty claims. To expand a little bit, they did eventually replace the R430 frame completely (third time around) but it was a significantly redesigned frame- different dropouts and 300 grams heavier than original - rides like a brick. I had no complaints with the ride quality of the original. To their credit, they replicated the custom paint completely on this warranty. My beef with this bike come from the fact that it was obvious that the first repair would fail and they should have replaced it at that point. The ProCross cracked in the head tube and came back looking like someone had just dropped some filler into the defect - I wasn't willing to trust my teeth to this repair. Others may have had different experiences with Lynskey - these were mine (and there's lots more detail to them that would keep me from ever recommending them). They also treated my LBS dealer poorly, but that's another story unrelated to the intrinsic quality of the bikes. Buy and ride what you like. Ultimately it's not about the bike anyway. It's the experience, personal challenge and people.The bike is just a tool. I just prefer a reliable tool that keeps me riding, not stripping and rebuilding frames and waiting for the UPS truck.

Louis D'Amelio
Newtown PA
ldamelio@comcast.net

Anyone wanting more info about my experiences with Lynskey can contact me. BTW - Charles - your custom Lynskey write-up - powder blue and white - I think R330 from a few years ago was one of the things that led me to them. Friends in the industry including a custom ti builder who used to work for them at Litespeed have told me that Lynskey has six or seven welders and some are known to be much better than others. I suspect that your bike, given your exposure on Pez, received a little more attention to detail than the usual consumer's and was welded by one of their lead guys.

No surprise to hear your experience with Lynskey. They have lots of cheap frames to crank out so you can bet that their "production model" would be "fast", as the faster a frame is produced, the more they can make. Sometimes, cranking things out fast in manufacturing means they must cut some corners so as a result there will be some negative consequences as expected. In their defend, in general most of their frames are good but I wouldn't pay a premium on any of their stuff though.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Louis D'Amelio
Newtown PA
ldamelio@comcast.net

Hi Louis and well said. Didn't know 'post tonnage' meant something.

My experience with Lynskey, as short lived as it was, was 'similar', in terms of company relations with a small LBS.

the bottle ride
12-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Great response to someone calling you to the carpet:calling someone a liar is pretty strong.

I had a pretty good experience with Lynskey but there has been more than a few call outs about frame breakage on mtbr- and questionable customer service. It clearly is not everyone's experience, but nonetheless one should keep that in mind when considering buying one- we may not all get the same attention as someone who writes for a blog.

Schmed
12-24-2013, 09:21 AM
"Lynskeys crack like eggs" is a bit over the top, wouldn't you say?

Seems to me, that they wouldn't have a good reputation if this was a common problem. They get some very good reviews on MTBR, so the failures must be few and far between. That being said, if you are one that has a failure, I guess you lash out and say they "crack like eggs".

I had a Gary Fisher frame that cracked. I won't buy another one, but I'm also aware that there are about a million of them around, and I'm probably in the 0.1% club that had a failure. It'd be wrong for me to say "Fishers crack like eggs".

I've had a few dealings with them, and they went ABOVE and BEYOND when I had a simple request. There's one data point for you.

PETER REID
12-24-2013, 09:24 AM
I have ridden them both. Moots has more cachet than Lyndsey. It you are worried about the price then go look at Carver Bikes in Woolrich, ME. This guy builds a very nice bike, can do custom for not too much more and delivers in a timely basis. Whats not to like?:banana:

Llewellyn
12-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Great response to someone calling you to the carpet:calling someone a liar is pretty strong.

I had a pretty good experience with Lynskey but there has been more than a few call outs about frame breakage on mtbr- and questionable customer service. It clearly is not everyone's experience, but nonetheless one should keep that in mind when considering buying one- we may not all get the same attention as someone who writes for a blog.

Not quite sure if this is directed at me but I didn't call anyone a liar. I was making a point that when a member with 2 posts comes along and makes such damning claims about anything (not just Lynskey) then it looks suspiciously like they could just have an axe to grind in an attempt to cause maximum damage to whatever they're taking aim at . It wouldn't be the first time it's happened, either here or on loads of other forums.

My experience with my Lynskey has been fine so far (not so with their distributor here) and I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with a Moots if I'd gone that route.

the bottle ride
12-24-2013, 09:38 AM
^^^not pointed in your direction. I agree with you that there all sorts of trolls on the web- and some people can be so petty.
It was the "bs" comment that came afterwards- this place is pretty civil & felt it was unwarranted.

ldamelio
12-24-2013, 10:17 AM
A few final thoughts - I don't like to belabor the negative - as cyclists, we're all in the same community.

To Llewellyn and Charles: Peace. Just wanted to point out that I am a real person with real experiences with Lynskey, not a troll or random basher.

To Peter (Old Potatoe): I have always respected you as one of the elder statesman of the bike/wrench business going back to the rec.bicycles.tech days 20+ years ago. Always benefited from your insights, sent a few tricky small parts repairs off to at Vecchio's and once called you on the phone for some advice on an obscure Campy repair I was attempting at home. Thanks for this and sorry (but not surprised) to hear of your experiences as a dealer.

To Schmed. Peace also. My phraseology (crack like eggs) is admittedly somewhat hyperbolic, but 4 failures in two frames with light to modest usage prompted it. Of my four warranty/customer service claims with them, one was negative, one was neutral, and two were positive in terms of the interaction. All were ultimately unsatisfactory in terms of the physical outcome of the product. Ride what you like. I am indeed one (or four, if you count the individual failures) data point. However, their reputation is not good among cycling cognoscenti (riders,dealers. or builders.) As an objective data point, my frame number 10283 was also warranty RMA 2319. If these are sequential and linear (which I think they are looking at serial # and RMA numbers on the R430), it implies a 22.5% return rate. Maybe less if their non-branded contract frames are in the denominator, but still a lot. I'm glad you're one of the 78% with an intact (so far) frame. I genuinely hope it stays that way for you.

Anyway, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all. Just got in from a sunny and crisp two hours on the fixed and time to enjoy Christmas Eve with my wife and three great kids.

Lou D'Amelio

Charles M
12-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Note... I didn't call Lou a liar either. bullsh1t and liar are not always the same thing. quote people or don't quote people.

Well established ...

Louis D'Amelio
Newtown PA
ldamelio@comcast.net

This post is a heck of a lot more detailed than the first one, it doesn't strike me as bullsh1t but the first one did, just based on content. And I remembered your name from your email right away... Wish I would have recognized it.

And... If we're being completely honest here, credibility is gained with good posts and post count is a part of that (though you can be a multi post crack pot as well, but I think you get what I mean...) at virtually all forums. It just is...

With that, I think a guy popping in with no past and saying "Lynskey cracks like eggs" is/ was at the very least a stretch.

I agree that my review bike was handled by what was likely their best welder. The tube cutting and some other steps were handled by perhaps the least qualified guy to ever enter the building (me), but I was getting walked through by an ace...

My most recent bike (bought from Lynskey and landed just a couple weeks ago) is one of their cheaper stock Silver Series frames though (and they're made in TN)...

The Viale.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01263_edited-1-1024x680.jpg

This is rolling out right now Frame and Fork for $1174.

It might be considered a counter to Old Potato's thought that a bike "with ability to have fenders and racks, triple geared, big tired, bike, made of metal...high end, for $2500-$3000...not gonna find it unless you look hard..."

This bike, fully built with Shimano 105 and long reach brakes, set up for fenders and Rack mounts and able to handle tires in the 30's is selling for $2800...

I think that's a grand less than Moots least expensive base frame only (?) for a complete bike with all the extra mounts added.

The quality ain't bad. The welds are all good work.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01293_edited-1.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01288-673x1024.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01250.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01228-850x1024.jpg

None of this is meant to stab at Moots, but I don't think there's much to gripe about with this bike.

It wasn't meant for review, but it's so nice not to give a damn about what I do with a bike or where I ride it (The gator Skins have slime tubes and liners...). Or for that matter "when" I ride it because the head light from Exposure could have probably been used to spot bombers during WW2 and the tail light is the same brightness as the one on my Motorcycle...

I'm really lucky to get exposed to most companies top of the line stuff... I also tend to buy at that level because after being exposed to the level of product, I don't like settling...

But with Titanium (and especially if it's a commuter bike), I think there are some very good options to be had and I think the price spread is A LOT bigger than the quality spread.

You can't go wrong with Moots. I would love another moots. I would love to have had Kelly Bedford do a commuter bike for me. we can sit round naming Ti builders for days.

But if I were buying non-custom and I were at all price sensitive. The choices narrow for me a bit. At that point, it's pretty reasonable to look around a bit and in the case of being narrowed to Moots or Lynskey, I wouldn't pay the up-charge... I can fully understand why others might though because I do pay the upcharge for other things (for reasons no better than why someone might take a Moots...)

lemondvictoire
12-24-2013, 10:51 AM
A few final thoughts - I don't like to belabor the negative - as cyclists, we're all in the same community.

To Llewellyn and Charles: Peace. Just wanted to point out that I am a real person with real experiences with Lynskey, not a troll or random basher.

To Peter (Old Potatoe): I have always respected you as one of the elder statesman of the bike/wrench business going back to the rec.bicycles.tech days 20+ years ago. Always benefited from your insights, sent a few tricky small parts repairs off to at Vecchio's and once called you on the phone for some advice on an obscure Campy repair I was attempting at home. Thanks for this and sorry (but not surprised) to hear of your experiences as a dealer.

To Schmed. Peace also. My phraseology (crack like eggs) is admittedly somewhat hyperbolic, but 4 failures in two frames with light to modest usage prompted it. Of my four warranty/customer service claims with them, one was negative, one was neutral, and two were positive in terms of the interaction. All were ultimately unsatisfactory in terms of the physical outcome of the product. Ride what you like. I am indeed one (or four, if you count the individual failures) data point. However, their reputation is not good among cycling cognoscenti (riders,dealers. or builders.) As an objective data point, my frame number 10283 was also warranty RMA 2319. If these are sequential and linear (which I think they are looking at serial # and RMA numbers on the R430), it implies a 22.5% return rate. Maybe less if their non-branded contract frames are in the denominator, but still a lot. I'm glad you're one of the 78% with an intact (so far) frame. I genuinely hope it stays that way for you.

Anyway, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all. Just got in from a sunny and crisp two hours on the fixed and time to enjoy Christmas Eve with my wife and three great kids.

Lou D'Amelio

Have a 2011 Lynskey R230 and no problems at all........................... Also looks like your RMA implied stats may be skewed............I believe the RMA #s are for all Frames/parts returned for warranty, crashed frames, refinishing, exchange, mods, etc.......................... :fight:

Uncle Jam's Army
12-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Out of curiosity, two questions about the Moots CR:

1. Looks like you can't get the titanium seat post binder anymore, from the looks of the website. Can anyone confirm?

2. Does Moots still do a 1 cm extension on the head tube, upon request, with no upcharge on a stock frame?

thunderworks
12-24-2013, 12:49 PM
I have several Lynskey bikes and have had good luck with both. My first Lynskey, a Sportive, I purchased from my local dealer when Lynskey had a drop ship program for non-stocking bike shops. The 2nd Lynskey, an R330, I bought from their LOFT as a refurb. I'm quite light (125lbs) and rarely have hardware problems of any kind. Several of my riding buddies also have Lynskey bikes - one has an R330, the other an R430 (both were used EBAY purchases). They've had a good experience as well. I posted earlier that I like the ride/value relationship that Lynskey bikes offer but also agree with most of the posters that Moots aesthetics are superior.

I posting again to point out the one aspect of dealing with Lynskeyk that I don't really care for, and that is their current business model and website that appears to do an end-run around the LBS network. They changed their website a few years ago and at that time changed their focus from dealing with your LBS to buying directly from their website. It's no wonder that some LBSs have difficult or poor experiences with Lynskey. I know that Lynskey has a few key dealers around the country that really do a good job with their bikes, but I presume they never had a lot of success building a broad dealer network - hence the change in business models to direct selling. But it does bug me nonetheless and I wish that Lynskey only sold through dealers ala Moots and Independent Fabrications.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Note... I didn't call Lou a liar either. bullsh1t and liar are not always the same thing. quote people or don't quote people.

This post is a heck of a lot more detailed than the first one, it doesn't strike me as bullsh1t but the first one did, just based on content. And I remembered your name from your email right away... Wish I would have recognized it.

And... If we're being completely honest here, credibility is gained with good posts and post count is a part of that (though you can be a multi post crack pot as well, but I think you get what I mean...) at virtually all forums. It just is...

With that, I think a guy popping in with no past and saying "Lynskey cracks like eggs" is/ was at the very least a stretch.

I agree that my review bike was handled by what was likely their best welder. The tube cutting and some other steps were handled by perhaps the least qualified guy to ever enter the building (me), but I was getting walked through by an ace...

My most recent bike (bought from Lynskey and landed just a couple weeks ago) is one of their cheaper stock Silver Series frames though (and they're made in TN)...

The Viale.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01263_edited-1-1024x680.jpg

This is rolling out right now Frame and Fork for $1174.

It might be considered a counter to Old Potato's thought that a bike "with ability to have fenders and racks, triple geared, big tired, bike, made of metal...high end, for $2500-$3000...not gonna find it unless you look hard..."

This bike, fully built with Shimano 105 and long reach brakes, set up for fenders and Rack mounts and able to handle tires in the 30's is selling for $2800...

I think that's a grand less than Moots least expensive base frame only (?) for a complete bike with all the extra mounts added.

The quality ain't bad. The welds are all good work.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01293_edited-1.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01288-673x1024.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01250.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC01228-850x1024.jpg

None of this is meant to stab at Moots, but I don't think there's much to gripe about with this bike.

It wasn't meant for review, but it's so nice not to give a damn about what I do with a bike or where I ride it (The gator Skins have slime tubes and liners...). Or for that matter "when" I ride it because the head light from Exposure could have probably been used to spot bombers during WW2 and the tail light is the same brightness as the one on my Motorcycle...

I'm really lucky to get exposed to most companies top of the line stuff... I also tend to buy at that level because after being exposed to the level of product, I don't like settling...

But with Titanium (and especially if it's a commuter bike), I think there are some very good options to be had and I think the price spread is A LOT bigger than the quality spread.

You can't go wrong with Moots. I would love another moots. I would love to have had Kelly Bedford do a commuter bike for me. we can sit round naming Ti builders for days.

But if I were buying non-custom and I were at all price sensitive. The choices narrow for me a bit. At that point, it's pretty reasonable to look around a bit and in the case of being narrowed to Moots or Lynskey, I wouldn't pay the up-charge... I can fully understand why others might though because I do pay the upcharge for other things (for reasons no better than why someone might take a Moots...)

-potatoE
-take those brakes off immediately!! They've been recalled ya know.
-I'd rather have a Habenero-Know Mark, lots of time you buy the maker/builder/distributor/company as much as the bike itself.
-a bike with 105 isn't 'high end', IMHO, BUT for a certain budget, put the most $ into the frame, not the parts. I'd rather have a Moots with apex than a Lynskey with SR ....

Charles M
12-24-2013, 10:41 PM

1. Looks like you can't get the titanium seat post binder anymore, from the looks of the website. Can anyone confirm?

2. Does Moots still do a 1 cm extension on the head tube, upon request, with no upcharge on a stock frame?

A friend here just got the head tube extension and he said it wasn't a charge...

oldpotatoe
12-25-2013, 06:52 AM
You wrote-"Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army View Post

2. Does Moots still do a 1 cm extension on the head tube, upon request, with no upcharge on a stock frame?"

1. Yep seat post clamps now, no more integrated seat binder ala older steel frames. 'May' be an option.

2.You can get the headtube length of the next larger frame size w/o any upcharge, on an otherwise stock frame.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks Pete and Charles!

Cornfed
04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
I'll vouch for Lynskey any day. I've had nothing but great experiences with their bikes and their people. I had an R230 I loved, and only stopped riding it when I got a Sportive that fit my old bones a bit better.

If anyone's curious, in fact, the R230 is for sale on CL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4432075845.html

oldpotatoe
04-21-2014, 07:40 AM
I'll vouch for Lynskey any day. I've had nothing but great experiences with their bikes and their people. I had an R230 I loved, and only stopped riding it when I got a Sportive that fit my old bones a bit better.

If anyone's curious, in fact, the R230 is for sale on CL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4432075845.html

You must not be a bike shop. We took a shot at Lynskey when they were brand new, and the following dealings with me, small bike shop in Boulder, wasn't grand..to say the least. Long time ago, but with a pedigree of Litespeed family, I expected better, didn't get it..adios lynskey. Dealing with Moots, on the other hand, has been better than the best.

Since you resurrected a post from 3-4 months ago.

crossjunkee
04-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Still not a Lynskey fan. I'm also not sure why a bike shop would want to deal with them. It seems they have no problem under cutting local shop prices.

I'm also bummed to learn about the lack of integrated seat collar on Moots. It was one small thing that set them apart from Eriksen.

Cornfed
04-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Didn't mean to stir up an old hornet's nest; I was just relating my experience, from a rider's perspective, as I recently went through the same decision process. Moots is unquestionably a quality company with quality products. For me, it was just a matter of frame style at that time.

campy man
04-21-2014, 12:03 PM
I bought a Lynskey based on the Litespeed connection ... those Vortex frames Team Lotto used still a top 5 favorite for me. Coming from a Serotta Legend, I thought the build for the Lynskey was difficult because I wasn't able to get my contact points correct. After just a few rides I knew the Lynskey was not for me. I felt like my body had to adjust to the frame instead of the frame fitting my body. Don't think Lynskey's geometry works for me.

Currently riding a 2014 Moots and all is good. The bike build was easy and I was able to get the contact points perfect. After riding the bike for a few weeks it's was hard to imagine a bike being more comfortable and efficient. I feel like the Moots can do it all and will hold it's value 10yrs later.

Based on my experience, the Legend and Moots are equal with the Lynskey a couple notches below. Lynskey makes a good bike and I think at the discounted prices the Lynskey is a nice option. If a buyer is looking for a A-list titanium frame I would suggest the Moots or a custom built frame from Erikson, Kirk, ...

Jus my $0.02