PDA

View Full Version : ASI says Calgary bike shop can use Roubaix name

plattyjo
12-09-2013, 10:31 PM
"Specialized Bicycle overstepped its bounds when it registered the Roubaix trademark in Canada and then tried to prevent a Calgary retailer from using the name, Advanced Sports International’s CEO told BRAIN (http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/12/09/asi-says-calgary-bike-shop-can-use-roubaix-name#.UqaTCOvQFQk) on Monday.

ASI says it owns the worldwide rights to the Roubaix trademark — it’s had a Fuji Roubaix road bike model in its lineup since 1992 — and has licensed it to Specialized since 2003. ASI’s Pat Cunnane said the company has no problem with retailer Dan Richter using the name on his store, Cafe Roubaix.

“We have reached out to Mr. Richter to inform him that he can continue to use the name, and we will need to license his use, which we imagine can be done easily,” Cunnane said."

eippo1
12-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Wow, go Fuji. Thought the license went something like that and Fuji were the cardholders.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
12-09-2013, 11:05 PM
would be interesting if fuji just sue spech, the funny thing of all is that looks like Fuji did not know about the canadian paperwork about the name either.

MattTuck
12-09-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure that it is any better that one corporate overlord owns the rights to such a generic name, than another corporate overlord owning them... but atleast Fuji seems to have some common sense and/or respect.

Glad to see Specialized slapped down on this one.

ultraman6970
12-09-2013, 11:07 PM
True, now looks like nealpryde is the next in line.

Vientomas
12-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I'll say it again: F - Specialized. Contrary to the opinion of a post on the related thread, I can say with certainty that I will never purchase another item from Specialized.

don compton
12-09-2013, 11:32 PM
This fight is not over

Louis
12-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Fuji should send Specialized a letter saying something like "Well, if the name 'Roubaix' is so valuable to you, the license fee has gone up from $x per year to $2x per year."

martl
12-10-2013, 01:42 AM
French cycling authorities announced their relief that they don't have to rename their famous spring classic to "Paris - a certain small town up in the north"

ergott
12-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Fuji should send Specialized a letter saying something like "Well, if the name 'Roubaix' is so valuable to you, the license fee has gone up from $x per year to $2x per year."

Not so easy. Fuji licenses Specialized's 4 bar suspension linkage.

fa63
12-10-2013, 07:39 AM
I think Fuji has the upper hand on this one. Not sure how many people by their mountain bikes but I know that Specialized sells a lot of Roubaix bikes.

thirdgenbird
12-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Personally, I would find a move like that distasteful.

It will be interesting to see where specialized goes from here. If they were smart, they would apologize and back down.

sales guy
12-10-2013, 07:46 AM

They do, BUT, they have that new rear suspension design from Breezer. So they have an alternative vs the Horst design. So they could drop out of it pretty quick if they wanted too.

But ASI is in a much better position than S. Especially since they have been selling a Roubaix model since 1992.

BUT, Sinyard is gonna be over the top pissed at Pat for this speak out against them. I hate to be in their buildings when the phone call goes down.

Both companies are equally matched in terms of money sales. But I believe S has more in terms of overall cash. Merida their partner makes bikes for a buttload of people. ASI for all we know. So they have the capital for a fight. But this move by pat has gotten them good will and sales. Vs S lost on both of those.

And Fuji makes nice stuff. I rode with them-Pat, Karen bliss and a bunch of others last year in NYC for a week. Good group. Super nice, friendly and smart. And the bikes were incredibly good. So I would buy one over an S any day. I had a TT bike for a year from them at one point. Good ride.

This is way far from over though.

Lewis Moon
12-10-2013, 07:56 AM
It will be interesting to see where specialized goes from here. If they were smart, they would apologize and back down.

The art and ethic of the heart felt apology has been lost in modern society. People see it as a weakness that should be avoided. So much increasing and continued animosity can be avoided just by saying; "I'm sorry. I screwed up. How can I make this right?"
An apology like this is a sign of character, a sign that you know how to measure and balance consequences. A sign of strength.

FlashUNC
12-10-2013, 07:59 AM
The art and ethic of the heart felt apology has been lost in modern society. People see it as a weakness that should be avoided. So much increasing and continued animosity can be avoided just by saying; "I'm sorry. I screwed up. How can I make this right?"
An apology like this is a sign of character, a sign that you know how to measure and balance consequences. A sign of strength.

That doesn't seem to be part of the Big S's world domination strategy.

William
12-10-2013, 08:06 AM
That doesn't seem to be part of the Big S's world domination strategy.

http://www.canootervalve.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/deathStarS1.jpg

More examples?

http://www.canootervalve.com/tag/specialized/

William

54ny77
12-10-2013, 08:55 AM
This debacle is probably not helping my Tarmac SL classified ad....

Anyone want to trade for a Fuji carbon rig?

;)

Seriously though, I find S's actions just plain distasteful. A combat veteran trying to make a go of it post-enlistment, and getting slapped with something like this nonsense?

That injustice rings really close to me, and I'm more disheartened than anything.

Like someone else posted, likely a junior or midlevel esq. who thought he/she was smart in asserting what has proven to be a baseless action (i.e., they forgot to read the fine print Fuji/ASI's license agreement), is going to have their head handed to them by the close of business any day now.

It's gonna take a long time for me to contemplate buying another S product again. Prior to this, I'd have easily contemplated picking up another Tarmac SL when the time came for something big bike production-oriented. Not anymore.

How's them Fuji high end carbon bikes ride?

J.Greene
12-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Sinyard may actually be relieved. You should always give your oponent a path to retreat and save face. Fuji gave specialized that path.

MattTuck
12-10-2013, 09:05 AM
This debacle is probably not helping my Tarmac SL classified ad....

Just be thankful that a horde of villagers with torches and pitchforks didn't come to your house for your bike. If this had gone on a few more days, that is what might have happened.

William
12-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Sinyard may actually be relieved. You should always give your oponent a path to retreat and save face. Fuji gave specialized that path.

It may give them a bit of an out, but things have already gone cattywampus for them. You don't get to that position in the biz by playing pattycake with everyone. Imho, this is likely a sop that just happened to backfire on them this time around.

Maybe.:bike:

William

54ny77
12-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Scorched earth policy in the quest for world domination will only work for so long.

Just ask Lance.

:p

plattyjo
12-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Seems like it's not quite settled yet, according to Cafe Roubaix's FB page:

"We can announce that your voices have been heard. We are now back in discussions with the other party. We are aware of recent announcements by third parties within the industry."

bikingshearer
12-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Like someone else posted, likely a junior or midlevel esq. who thought he/she was smart in asserting what has proven to be a baseless action (i.e., they forgot to read the fine print Fuji/ASI's license agreement), is going to have their head handed to them by the close of business any day now.

Having had experience in and with the world of Big Law, it is very unlikely that a junior or mid-level suit took any such action without at least having general marching orders to send "cease and desist" letters to anyone one who uses "Roubaix" or any one of a number of words S claims trademarks on. More likely is getting the word from upstairs (and I do not mean God, although some senior partners in big law firms are not clear on the distinction) come down, saying "I just got a call about this place in Canuckistan - launch the usual missiles."

You're absolutely correct, however, that if a junior or mid-level associate's name is on the letter that was sent to Cafe Roubaix, they may well be invited to find other employment. Some firms perp-walk you out the door, although that is rarer than one might think, not because of any humanitarian sensibilities, but because it looks bad for the firm in the legal press, which can be every bit as gossipy as Star magazine. Many let you hang around until you get another job; it's cleaner, quieter, and keeps the whole sorry mess out of the press. It also protects any guilty higher-ups who are untouchable but still have the ability to embarass the firm.

54ny77
12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I've spent enough time in, and work with, Big Law to guess that a partner gave that "Just handle it" directive to Mr./Ms. Associate while sitting in ski lodge or on the beach (or while buried in their own morass in the office), not having really familiarized themselves with the intricacies of the matter. I mean, it's just a little bike shop in Nowheresville and a boilerplate nastygram won't have any meaningful adverse public consequences, right?

Woopsie daisy.....

:p

Having had experience in and with the world of Big Law, it is very unlikely that a junior or mid-level suit took any such action without at least having general marching orders to send "cease and desist" letters to anyone one who uses "Roubaix" or any one of a number of words S claims trademarks on. More likely is getting the word from upstairs (and I do not mean God, although some senior partners in big law firms are not clear on the distinction) come down, saying "I just got a call about this place in Canuckistan - launch the usual missiles."

You're absolutely correct, however, that if a junior or mid-level associate's name is on the letter that was sent to Cafe Roubaix, they may well be invited to find other employment. Some firms perp-walk you out the door, although that is rarer than one might think, not because of any humanitarian sensibilities, but because it looks bad for the firm in the legal press, which can be every bit as gossipy as Star magazine. Many let you hang around until you get another job; it's cleaner, quieter, and keeps the whole sorry mess out of the press. It also protects any guilty higher-ups who are untouchable but still have the ability to embarass the firm.

Louis
12-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Personally, I would find a move like that distasteful.

Now I understand why Cano chose Jay-Z over your Sporting Agency Inc. ;)

thirdgenbird
12-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Now I understand why Cano chose Jay-Z over your Sporting Agency Inc. ;)

If fuji used the Roubaix name to strong arm* specialized, It wouldn't make them a whole lot better than specialized.

*not to be confused with Specialized Strongarm or Strongarm II

torquer
12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Maybe Sinyard (or his mini-me) called Fuji and asked for a favor?
Was Fuji really unaware of S's Canadian trademark claims?

Whatever the case, there was a thread yesterday asking which of the "big" brands' bikes we'd consider buying. Don't know if anyone mentioned Fuji, but I've always thought if I "needed" an off-the shelf bike, that brand certainly offers some of the best bang for the buck out there.
(I do own a second-hand Fuji welded steel PRC-sourced track bike, but I try not to hold that against them.)

CunegoFan
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Specialized was getting clobbered in social media during the most important time of the year. It should have had a statement put out on Monday but there was nothing. The ASI information hit the wire well after close of business, so it was not like Specialized had no time to act on its own. That seems sort of suspicious. I suspect this was Sinyard's way of ending the situation without appearing to back down. He is still a d-bag.

plattyjo
12-10-2013, 04:24 PM
From Cafe Roubaix's FB page: "I had a great conversation with Mike Sinyard today, and I am happy to let everyone know that things will be working out fine."

With Specialized's ongoing silence, no apology and history of d-baggery, they're still on my blacklist.

Hawker
12-10-2013, 04:48 PM
From Cafe Roubaix's FB page: "I had a great conversation with Mike Sinyard today, and I am happy to let everyone know that things will be working out fine."

With Specialized's ongoing silence, no apology and history of d-baggery, they're still on my blacklist.

Would like to have been a fly on the wall. Most likely we won't hear what that call was actually like.

54ny77
12-10-2013, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBGvnWe3l8

very funny (some nsfw language, so put on headphones if in office!).

thirdgenbird
12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
That was well worth the click.

54ny77
12-10-2013, 06:09 PM
"Mira que Bueno!"

:banana:

plattyjo
12-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Specialized's brief statement to the press: http://i.imgur.com/9vVQ4Ky.png