PDA

View Full Version : Grand Bois Cypres vs Challenge Eroica / Bianca Strada

ColonelJLloyd
12-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm building up a steel, fendered bike with room for 700x32. I use and have used most of the Grand Bois models and really like them. I also loved the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix I had on a bike.

Has anyone used both the Eroica/Strada Bianca and the 700c Cypres? Which gets your vote?

sparky33
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm building up a steel, fendered bike with room for 700x32. I use and have used most of the Grand Bois models and really like them. I also loved the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix I had on a bike.

Has anyone used both the Eroica/Strada Bianca and the 700c Cypres? Which gets your vote?

Lot o miles on the Eroica, GB Cypres and GB Cypres Extra Leger. All excellent shades of the same color. Never ridden the new Strada Bianca version with the protective strip (Eroica has no strip).

Get the GB Cypres Extra Leger - comfiest ride, light, fast. Similar to the regular GB Cypres but a bit better in every way.

The Eroica is a tick narrower than the GB tires, but livelier and nearly as comfortable. This would be my choice only when the GB tire is just a bit too big to fit under fenders. It is also the nicest looking tire IMO, and the black version is obtainable.

ColonelJLloyd
12-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had a pair marked Eroica that featured the orange strip, but sold them without using them (must've been in the Eroica-to-Strada Bianca transition period).

Curious about the Strada Bianca, but I'm sure you're right that a nicer 32mm tire than the EL Cypres does not exist.

sc53
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I have used both the Eroica and the Extra Leger. For me, the Extra Leger wins the day. Both tires give the feeling of floating on the pavement, but the E. Leger is hardier since it's yet to flat (4 rides) and the Eroica flatted on its maiden voyage.

tuscanyswe
12-09-2013, 03:48 PM
I have used both the Eroica and the Extra Leger. For me, the Extra Leger wins the day. Both tires give the feeling of floating on the pavement, but the E. Leger is hardier since it's yet to flat (4 rides) and the Eroica flatted on its maiden voyage.

Ive used the strada bianca for a month now with 1 puncture on city streets. Several hours of riding every day. Cant complain about the puncture resistance of these tires imo. They are awesome!

MerckxMad
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I've ridden both and IMHO, there's very little difference between them on pavement and well groomed dirt paths. Sounds nutty, but the Eroicas seem to have a more round profile. I feel that you can lean the Eroicas over more on their tread than the GBs. The only difference I found between them is ease of mounting. The Eroicas were easier to mount on my Pacenti rims than the P-Rs, but you will still need a set of replacement thumbs when you're done. The GBs go on like butta. YMMV.

sokyroadie
12-22-2013, 08:32 AM
I am getting ready to order the GB Cypres EL, is Compass bikes the only online retailer to buy them at?

There is no LBS near me.

Thanks,
Jeff

ColonelJLloyd
12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
I believe they're the only importer so, yeah, it's Compass or a bike shop with a Compass account.