PDA

View Full Version : Mavic vs. Shimano shoe fit

CDollarsign
12-09-2013, 07:25 AM
I am in the market for a shoe upgrade. I currently wear Shimano R132s and I like the way they fit. I wear a size 47 in Shimano, but 13 in US and typically a 46 in euro. I can't find a shop that has a 47 or 48 Mavic shoe in stock to try on, so I am looking for first hand experience. I have heard Mavic runs really narrow.

FWIW I am looking at a pair of Shimano R241 and Mavic Zxellium.

Who makes the better shoe?

sales guy
12-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Shimano makes the better of the two you mention. But Gaerne makes better than all. Just my 3 cents.

Oh, and mavic does run narrow. I tried a set and had the innersole pulled and it was still tight.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I am in the market for a shoe upgrade. I currently wear Shimano R132s and I like the way they fit. I wear a size 47 in Shimano, but 13 in US and typically a 46 in euro. I can't find a shop that has a 47 or 48 Mavic shoe in stock to try on, so I am looking for first hand experience. I have heard Mavic runs really narrow.

FWIW I am looking at a pair of Shimano R241 and Mavic Zxellium.

Who makes the better shoe?

shimano, Sidi, Northwave, DMT..but depends a lot of fit, of course.

Mavic, like some of their clothes, can be sized a little strange.

Gaerne are nice but no US retailers? Online only?

sales guy
12-09-2013, 08:19 AM
There are us dealers of Gaerne. One right down the road from me actually. They do online on their own site also. Not discounted. Not sure about other like Excell and Colorado Cyclist.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2013, 08:22 AM
There are us dealers of Gaerne. One right down the road from me actually. They do online on their own site also. Not discounted. Not sure about other like Excell and Colorado Cyclist.

Hmmm, you said you worked for a cycling shoe company, Gaerne? No, I'm not stalking you. It's 5 degrees out side with snow..why I'm spending so much time here.

sales guy
12-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I decline to comment on the grounds I will look like I'm spamming. ;)

As for the weather, 32 and cloudy here. Still no riding today though. Too tired. Not sleeping well. And it's kind of icy out. Driveway is a bit slick. We have great and attentive road crews here, and our town is small so they're out all the time(I live right by our post office in the center of town) but it's still slick where a bike would ride. Sidewalks are a wreck.

Plus I have three full overhauls to do, one pinarello getting new decals, a j disc front wheel needs some Mylar repaired, two wheelset needing built and two of my bikes components need cleaning. The MTB is covered in mud and the vxrs road, end of year overhaul cleaning.

buldogge
12-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Mavic run narrow, especially thru the forefoot and toebox, which tapers…feels a bit triangular. Shimano definitely has a more open/full toe box, similar to Specialized…IMHO. I wear 45/45.5 in Spec and 46 in Shimano…Mavic 45 was not comfortable…FWIW.

If you like the Shimano, do yourself a favor and try the S-Works. You will need a 46 or 46.5, probably.

-Mark in St. Louis

CDollarsign
12-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks Mark! I hope everything is well in St. Louis. I sure do miss living there...

sales guy
12-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Mavic run narrow, especially thru the forefoot and toebox, which tapers…feels a bit triangular. Shimano definitely has a more open/full toe box, similar to Specialized…IMHO. I wear 45/45.5 in Spec and 46 in Shimano…Mavic 45 was not comfortable…FWIW.

If you like the Shimano, do yourself a favor and try the S-Works. You will need a 46 or 46.5, probably.

-Mark in St. Louis

Remember, we're boycotting S now. He can't try them. Hence the mention of other more "friendly" brands.

Climb01742
12-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Is there another shoe that fits like S-works? I love my pair (damn;)) but the boa bits are finally wearing out, so I need a new pair of shoes. I'd honestly rather not buy Specialized shoes again. Is there a very similar fit out there because (damn;)) the S-works do fit my feet well. Did I mention damn;)?

sales guy
12-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Gaerne G Chrono or Chrono plus. And they have a Speedplay specific sole. Fit is really damn close. No pressure points, hot spots. Lots of ventilation. Sexy looks. Boa 3 closure and lifetime warranty on the closure. Replaceable heel pads. I love mine.

I tried to add a pic but it says I did the same pic on another topic so it would let me.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Gaerne G Chrono or Chrono plus. And they have a Speedplay specific sole. Fit is really damn close. No pressure points, hot spots. Lots of ventilation. Sexy looks. Boa 3 closure and lifetime warranty on the closure. Replaceable heel pads. I love mine.

I tried to add a pic but it says I did the same pic on another topic so it would let me.

Just 'save as' another title..and it should work.

sales guy
12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm on my iPad. Not sure how to do it. I have a book to read, but haven't had the chance. I'll figure something out. But here is a different color. The Chrono plus.

Climb01742
12-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks, sales guy. Since you seem very knowledgeable on the subject, any idea how close in size gaerne is to specialized? Would a 44 in S-works be a 44 in the G Chrono?

sales guy
12-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm a 46 in both the S and the Gaerne. So I can say they are both the same in length. The S shoes seem to pinch on the top a little bit. Like the material is cut short or something. Or maybe the way it overlaps. Never cut one in half so I don't know. But I can say the length and width is the same for the 46's. And I have flintstone feet. Wide and shorter. Vs the not as wide and pointier.

Yeah, way too much experience with shoes and fitting.

Climb01742
12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm a 46 in both the S and the Gaerne. So I can say they are both the same in length. The S shoes seem to pinch on the top a little bit. Like the material is cut short or something. Or maybe the way it overlaps. Never cut one in half so I don't know. But I can say the length and width is the same for the 46's. And I have flintstone feet. Wide and shorter. Vs the not as wide and pointier.

Yeah, way too much experience with shoes and fitting.

Cool. One last question if I may: any idea about sole stack height between the two? The Chrono G looks thin, as it does on my S-works.

Funny, looking closely at the Gaerne, it looks darn near identical to the S-works, which would be great for my tootsies.

Thanks for being so helpful. Much appreciated!

sales guy
12-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Cool. One last question if I may: any idea about sole stack height between the two? The Chrono G looks thin, as it does on my S-works.

Funny, looking closely at the Gaerne, it looks darn near identical to the S-works, which would be great for my tootsies.

Thanks for being so helpful. Much appreciated!

The sole-the actually carbon plate is 4mm. But remember, stack height isn't just based on the outer sole thickness. And can even change based on the type of sock you're wearing. So there are many things to look at

Cleat placement
Sock thickness
Outer sole thickness
Cleat plate screw thickness-the plate in the shoe the cleat bolts too
The base sole-the piece inside your shoe
Inner sole thickness.
Amount of glue used to secure the pieces together

All of those will affect your actual stack height. So when someone says they have the thinnest sole or lowest stack and they give you a number of 2.5 or 5mm or whatever, none of it matters unless they've cut the shoe in half and actually measured each size they make and publish the real number. And then, again, the inner sole and your socks will change the actual true stack distance/height. A wool sock will be thicker than a thin summer race sock. By upwards or 5mm! So while the outer sole may be the same or close, you always need to get checked. Even from model to model in the same companies run it can vary.

And yes, I know way too much about this.

No worries on the questions and ask away. Hope I can help.

crownjewelwl
12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
i have both shimano and mavic shoes...

1. mavic runs pretty narrow especially in the toe box
2. shimano construction seems better

lukasz
12-09-2013, 10:54 PM
How about Mavic vs Sidi sizing? Sidi fit me well but I want to explore winter shoe options. I have a hunch that Mavic fit about the same since people are saying they are narrow.

pdmtong
12-09-2013, 11:19 PM

-Mark in St. Louis

my experience as well...mavic too narrow in toe box for me

pdmtong
12-09-2013, 11:21 PM

the trick is too copy and "paste" the link into the new thread. there is an icon "insert image" that allows this