PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use a narrow rim+tire in front and wider in back?

Louis
12-08-2013, 08:23 PM
A while back I put an A23 wheel with a 25mm Pro 3 Race tire on to replace a 19mm rim with a 23mm Pro 3 Race, and to my eye the new tire looked huge. I was waiting for the front 23mm tire to wear out, so I didn't swap out the front wheel. I then started to have problems with the rear wheel, so I removed it and went back to a 19mm rim, 23mm tire combo. So now, apparently because I got used to the 23/25, the narrower tire looks tiny...

It's occurred to me that a skinny front and fatter rear might be a good compromise. Other than having to use two different tire sizes, would there be any reason to not do this?

aramis
12-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I got a set of continental GP Attack/GP Force tires with a bike I bought. They sell them in a set with a wide rear and skinnier front. I think there are some mavic tires they sell in sets like that as well.

I also run a wider rear rim on the back of my bike than I do on the front so I have a tire that measures around 22.5 mm up front and 26mm in the back.

Rides very well and descends very well. I like the wide tire out back better because it seems to absorb bumps better than the thinner 23mm I used to use.

AngryScientist
12-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I did just that on my serotta for a while. Worked out fine. I neede a rear wheel and just built a wheel with an h+son rim, and kept running the standard 19mm front

kramnnim
12-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm running the Attack/Force combo right now. On ENVE 3.4's, where the front rim is wider than the rear. The front rim is 1-2mm wider than the tire...

professerr
12-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Many years ago, I used to train with that sort of hot rod set up all the time because I thought it made the rear tire last longer and provided better protection for the rear rim. Whatever difference it made in the ride or handling was irrelevant then, and a number of guys on my college team did this too.

Now I ride for enjoyment, so I notice little things more and when I tried that set up a couple years ago it felt a little off. Maybe it was in my head, maybe it is because that set up reduces trail, but two Ultremo 28s felt more stable and planted while descending to me than an Utremo 28 (which is a fat 28) rear paired with an Ultremo 25 (which is a skinny 25). More comfy too.

Louis
12-08-2013, 10:36 PM
because I thought it made the rear tire last longer

I don't know if a 25 tire has a thicker tread than a 23, but that's another reason I was thinking of going to wider in back, to maybe get longer life on the rear.

My rear tires (same brand, same model, same size for an apples to apples comparison) last a half to a third the time compared to my fronts. (I refuse to rotate, it's not worth the hassle.)

cmg
12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
used a 21mm on the front and a 23mm on the rear a couple of years back. thought the 21mm rode rough. went back to the 23mm.