PDA

View Full Version : New Bike, Fierte Steel, Fierte Ti or Fierte IT

dstgco
01-21-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm about to purchase my first custom quality frame. Any ideas between the Fiertes Steel, TI or IT. I'm planning to put a high quality line of components on any of the bikes I choose. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

davids
01-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd suggest searching the forums, but here's a link (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13302) to my comments on my experience buying a Nove. I rode the Fierte Ti and Nove (which I imagine will ride very much like a Fierte IT) and found both to be wonderful. But different.

You won't go wrong with any of the Fierte line, but each has its own character.

Fixed
01-21-2006, 12:30 PM
bro 1/2 pound difference cheers :beer:

Sandy
01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't think that the 8 ounce difference in weight should have much significance. I would think that the two significant differences are materials and price:

Ti- ti
Steel- steel
IT- Mixed ti/carbon

Ti- $1895
Steel- $1095
IT- $2295

But then, what do I know- I'm not a bicycle messenger. :) :)

Fixed
01-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't think that the 8 ounce difference in weight should have much significance. I would think that the two significant differences are materials and price:

Ti- ti

Steel- steel
IT- Mixed ti/carbon

Ti- $1895
Steel- $1095
IT- $2295

But then, what do I know- I'm not a bicycle messenger. :) :)

bro I don't thinks so either for the price of the ti you can get a custom steel from serotta i.m.h.o. cheers oh yeah i had a steel one and kelly told me the differnce was a 1/2 pound

Bill Bove
01-21-2006, 02:01 PM
There is something about the steel Fierte that apeales to me, I don't know what, maybe just because it's steel. But if I had to live with only one of those three I'd go with the IT. It's probably a lighter bike and it has a high cool quotiant.

Sandy
01-21-2006, 03:12 PM
There is something about the steel Fierte that apeales to me, I don't know what, maybe just because it's steel. But if I had to live with only one of those three I'd go with the IT. It's probably a lighter bike and it has a high cool quotiant.

How about an even different choice than any of the Fierte bikes? How about an all steel Coeur d'Acier or a steel Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays? Each of those bikes, unlike the Fierte, are custom. The price of either frame is $1595, which is $300 less than the ti Fierte and $700 less than the IT Fierte (although it is $500 more than the steel Fierte).

So if dstgo is willing to consider Fiertes that are more expensive than the Coeur d'Acier, then it would make sense to me to look at the cheaper custom Coeur d'Acier. People who own either of the Coeur d'Acier bikes seem to love them.

If I didn't own two Serottas already (my two bikes), I would definitely buy the steel Coeur d'Acier. I have even thought of selling my CSi and buying a steel Coeur d'Acier.

I really wish that Serotta would call the bike with the long name, that I can't remember or pronounce, the CDA. It would be much easier for me.

Just thinking out loud,

Silent Sandy

shoe
01-22-2006, 07:30 AM
i have a fierte in steel and i can say that i have enjoyed my bike. i haven't ridden much else so i can't really compare it too much. i am glad i purchased the bike and i much prefer the way steel feels over my old aluminum bike...good luck with your decision. i'm sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make.....dave

Ozz
01-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm about to purchase my first custom quality frame. Any ideas between the Fiertes Steel, TI or IT. ...
The Fierte line is not custom.....all stock sizes. Have you had a "fit" done yet? Do you need custom sizing?

If you need custom, for my money...go with CDA (w or w/o carbon stays) $1595.

If stock will work, the CDA is probably still the biggest bang for your buck, but the Fierte IT is a pretty nice looking bike - $2295. The extra $700 gets you some nice bling, but not necessarily a nicer bike.

You really can't go wrong with either...

What is your current bike? What don't you like about it?

Serotta PETE
01-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm about to purchase my first custom quality frame. Any ideas between the Fiertes Steel, TI or IT. I'm planning to put a high quality line of components on any of the bikes I choose. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

First I would get measured by a fitter that you trust. Quantify (and be honest with yourself) as to what type of riding you are going to be doing and and what ride characteristics you want for the bike. Example would be :

- hilly, crit type riding, touring, racing, century rides,,,,
- what do you like about your current bike (as well as what you would
like to be different.
- as to handling (sports car vs luxury)
- Stiffness - are you going to be doing lots of hills/sprints??

As to frame material - - whatever you like. Steel, Ti, Carbon are all nice, as long as they are matched to your riding requirements and style.

I have had the opprtunity to ride many SEROTTAs of steel, ti, or mix and they all ride well (if they are designed to meet my likes and size)

HAVE FUN PICKING - - - color and paint design always takes the most time in picking.

PETE

93legendti
01-22-2006, 12:01 PM

What size are you? I have a size 50 steel Fierte, with a 51.5 cm top tube, come ride mine. I am in West Bloomfield.

Mud
01-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I think the info you have been given is AOK as long as you get the opportunity to ride each style of bike. I am semi retired, the semi being that I sell bikes, including Serottas, in the spring and summer. This site does give me more insight into the craziness of trying to pick the "right bike".

Where you have the opprotunity to go custom I think you should take it. You wind up with something that is done "your way". Last summer there was a fellow who came on this site saying he purchased a Serotta and asked about a million different questions including how to repaint it. I am not on commission but probably had 20 hours invested in selling him that bike. The price issue is not mine but he got a deal like no other-essentially cost on a 2004 Ti Serotta.

The bike fit him like the proverbial glove, he loved it, put a deposit on it but I guess the color wasn't what he wanted, it was an Ultegra triple which we offered to switch to a compact set-up, he wanted a different headset, etc etc etc. All these things came up on this site.

Eventually he decided against the bike and is riding his 30 lb 1980 Aluminum something or other which he says he loves. I don't mind wasting my time on him because of all the answers he got on the site.

But it leads me back to what I said about buying a bike-"get it your way". Color, gruppo, wheels, bar tape, saddle and it is yours. It feels like yours, it is your baby all the way.

As Fixed would say IMHO,

dstgco
01-22-2006, 07:38 PM
What size are you? I have a size 50 steel Fierte, with a 51.5 cm top tube, come ride mine. I am in West Bloomfield.
Thank you for your offer, unfortunately I'm a 58 - 60cm. I have been suggested to go to Contenental Bike Shop in Hazel Park and ask for John. Have you heard of them and any opinion.

Thank you,

vaxn8r
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
To say the difference is "1/2 lb" or to look at as simply a monitary decision is unfair. IMO steel does not ride like ti which is different than ti/CF. Each may have his preference but it's more about ride characteristics than weight. Thus, many have said you need to ride all 3 if you can.

Each of those bikes has it's unique attributes. Assuming you know what you want, you are going to be happy with any choice because they are all great bikes.

93legendti
01-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Thank you for your offer, unfortunately I'm a 58 - 60cm. I have been suggested to go to Contenental Bike Shop in Hazel Park and ask for John. Have you heard of them and any opinion.

Thank you,

Dman, oh well, it was worth a shot! I buy my Serottas from Jeff at Kinetic Sytems in Clarkston. 248-625-7000. That shop is a long time serotta dealer. I think they have a Fierte in stock...don't know the size.

Continental has a nice shop and John is a helpful guy.

93legendti
01-22-2006, 08:20 PM
To say the difference is "1/2 lb" or to look at as simply a monitary decision is unfair. IMO steel does not ride like ti which is different than ti/CF. Each may have his preference but it's more about ride characteristics than weight. Thus, many have said you need to ride all 3 if you can.

Each of those bikes has it's unique attributes. Assuming you know what you want, you are going to be happy with any choice because they are all great bikes.

That's about the 5th post of yours in the last 24hrs. that I agree with 100%!

My 2004 Fierte, 1993 Legend, '99 Hors and 2002 Ottrott all ride very differently--even shod with the same grouppos, bars, posts, stems, seatposts, wheels, pedals and tires.

davids
01-23-2006, 12:02 PM

Not to pile on or anything, but that's what I was trying to say, too!

The ride characateristics will be different depending on the materials. Not better or worse. The weight differences between the three Fiertes are completely without consequence.

If your preference is for steel, you'll save some cash. If it's for Ti/Carbon, you won't.

Good luck!

vaxn8r
01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
That's about the 5th post of yours in the last 24hrs. that I agree with 100%!

My 2004 Fierte, 1993 Legend, '99 Hors and 2002 Ottrott all ride very differently--even shod with the same grouppos, bars, posts, stems, seatposts, wheels, pedals and tires.
Thanks bud!