PDA

View Full Version : Which of the big boys would you buy?

vqdriver
12-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Given all the (distasteful) drama around some of the big names, who's left standing that you'd feel good about buying from?

I mean, we can't all buy all custom all the time right?

rodcad
12-08-2013, 06:49 PM
For me at least I never even give the "big boys" a thought. Well maybe Surly now and then but I don't think that's who you're referring to here. I always think used custom.

choke
12-08-2013, 06:53 PM
None. When I go to a LBS that sells mainstream stuff I barely even give the bikes a glance.

I started riding seriously on MTBs and wasn't sure if a road bike was for me or not - so I bought a Specialized Sirrus (with Suntour no less) to give it a whirl. It was OK and I liked riding the road so it was quickly replaced with a Ciöcc. Since then, other than a Bianchi which was only sold as a frameset, every bike I've purchased was from more obscure builders. I also have zero interest in carbon bikes so that rules out nearly everything from the big companies.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Given all the (distasteful) drama around some of the big names, who's left standing that you'd feel good about buying from?

None but there are a lot of frames made by mid sized builders. Not direct to the customer and not necessarily custom. Small, direct builder's numbers actually pretty small percentage of total bike sales.

thirdgenbird
12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
New? None, but not because any of the drama.

fuzzalow
12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
None. Not whether old, new, borrowed or blue. Never have in a lifetime of cycling. Can never say never, but likely never will.

#campyuserftw
12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Parlee is as big as I'll get.

oliver1850
12-08-2013, 07:10 PM
None if you're talking new. I probably won't ever buy a new mass produced bike again. But I'd probably ride any of the big 4's bikes on a trickle down basis if the deal was right. Most likely to ride Cannondale, then Splzd, Giant and Trek in that order.

fourflys
12-08-2013, 07:11 PM
If I HAD to pick a "big guy" to buy from, it'd be Giant...

I guess it depends on what you mean by "big guy"...

yashcha
12-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Most likely Giant. I love their new TCX disc cross bikes....

bicycletricycle
12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
all the big boys make bikes that look silly.

i kinda like the new aluminum s works

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allez-e5-smartweld-frameset

giant cyclocross looks nice this year.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/tcx.slr.1/14817/66284/

Lovetoclimb
12-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Maybe a Cannondale, but doubtful. Assuming we are talking Trek, Cdale, Giant, and Spec here.

I had a thing for Giants for a while, especially the TCX but when they went all disc for their off road scene I was turned off. I did copy the geometry for a handbuilt steel cross bike though!

Where does Niner fit in? Because I am thinking of upgrading my MTB game eventually and really enjoy my MCR for my current skill level.

FlashUNC
12-08-2013, 07:32 PM
None. There's plenty of great mid size builders out there.

fogrider
12-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I know somebody that just bought a modone with di2...I think he really wanted a bike with di2. and trek does a nice job with hiding the battery...and check out the vid...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgmTAJs-XWI
at about 40 seconds in, it looks like a housewife is doing the carbon layup. at least trek is still providing factory jobs in the USA! but for trek, bikes is big business, they require minimum floor space and sales numbers from all their dealers.

as for specialized, they've always designed their bikes in California and farm out the production in asia. I've lost a lot of respect for them after the lawsuit with Volagi.

Cdale has moved all their production overseas and they now have what they call ballistec carbon for a 700 gram frame.

but I'm sure you can find these features from a custom builder...parlee, crumpton come to mind. but what are you looking in a bike?

Bob Ross
12-08-2013, 07:45 PM

Why not?

Seriously...why not?

Okay, I'll admit that if you held a gun to my head and said "You have to buy an off-the-shelf bike today" I'd (perhaps only a bit begrudgingly) take a Ridley Noah or a Cannondale SuperSix or a BMC whatever-the-equivalent-to-their-SLC01 is and probably be perfectly happy.

But you don't have a gun, and I don't have to buy a bike today. And I like custom.

christian
12-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I'd buy a Giant Anthem or Trance. Road bike, I dunno, I suppose I'd pick up a used Tarmac SL4. Nothing new, though.

biker72
12-08-2013, 07:47 PM
all the big boys make bikes that look silly.

i kinda like the new aluminum s works

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allez-e5-smartweld-frameset

I have last years model built up with 10sp Campy Chorus.
Nice bike. They don't make aluminum like they used to.....:)

rain dogs
12-08-2013, 07:52 PM
I have no problems swinging a leg over an Orbea or a Cannondale. But I don't buy new bikes.

I can also say that the CAAD series of frames has been, IMHO, one of the greatest value, design and performance road frame lineages ever produced by any manufacturer, big or small. It's been what? 20years of incremental improvements? Not bad.

verticaldoug
12-08-2013, 07:53 PM
You are asking which Chinese manufactured, American Named frame with big boy decals we prefer? Does it matter? I am actually with Christian and just buy a Taiwanese made Giant.

D

p.s. if cervelo still made the aluminum S-1, I'd get that....

SPOKE
12-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Give Fuji a look. I've owned a few of their top end road bikes and thought they measured up pretty well

rice rocket
12-08-2013, 08:02 PM
I tried to stop gawking at big-name stuff, but even though Cannondale is now owned by Dorel, they still have a somewhat small company feel to them it seems, and I keep looking at their wares as a result. They've never been afraid to try new things, Headshok/Lefty being their most prominent, but also they were using 1.5" headtubes before anyone else in the System Six (and everyone who's ever owned one still swears that there hasn't been a stiffer bike), and of course they created the much despised-on-this-forum BB30. :)

They also raised the bar really high for weightweenies too, pushing a 13 lb road bike and an 18 lb MTB out the door that aren't just boutique show bikes. Their CAAD bikes speak for themselves, and continue to innovate, even after moving the manufacturing to Taiwan.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they still do a lot of design work up in Bethel, CT, and assembly in their old Beford, PA plant.

That said, I just sold my CAAD9X so I'm Cannondale-less, but I do have a Lefty that's about to go onto a On-One frame...

indyrider
12-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I just purchased my first Kona this year and have nothing but good things to say....

Zoodles
12-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't get the distaste for any of them, so many different models to choose from - sure each are a variant of questionable aesthetics - but the performance has never been better.

Whatever one dislikes about the big four could easily apply to components. Does anyone ride anything other than Shi/Camp/SRAM?

Bought a new caad10 to go with my steel and aluminum bikes this year and love it. A supremely efficient tool.

CunegoFan
12-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Giant. One of the few companies that actually makes its own stuff. Their MTBs are sweet.

I would never buy a Trek anything for what they did to LeMond. I would never buy anything "made" by Specialized because of its jerk behavior.

slidey
12-08-2013, 08:30 PM
None for the bikes, but that's been my choice from a long while back.

However when it comes to shoes, I'd still buy Spec.

Oh, and Yeti for bikes...yes please! Yeti's are big :)

batman1425
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Cannondale and Giant get closest to my geometry needs. I might buy one new for the right deal - year end closeout or something. Would have no problem picking up one that was used and in good shape.

BryanE
12-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm buying a new Specialized Epic this spring.

tv_vt
12-08-2013, 09:04 PM
My wife rides a Spec Roubaix and has had 10 years of great riding with it. I wouldn't hesitate buy another one if she was thinking of replacing the one she has, which she isn't right now.

I have no problems with any of them. It's a business. And they're makin' bikes, fercristsakes. I give them a whole lotta credit for being on our side.

#campyuserftw
12-08-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm buying a new Specialized Epic this spring.

In time to watch Paris-Roubaix at The Roubaix Cafe?

:)

r_mutt
12-08-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm with the poster who said that he doesn't understand the distaste for the bigger companies products. I've ridden a few of the bikes and they are all supremely competent bikes.

As for made in China/Taiwan and slapped a sticker on it, don't be so naive, just about everything is made in the east these days. That doesn't mean they aren't designed in the USA. The super six Evo isn't a Chinese mold frame that Cannondale bought and put their paint on. Neither is the Specialized Tarmac SL4. Every Apple product, SRAM component, television- all of it made in the east. That is the reality of today's mass production.

Let's get something straight- if I'm racing, I need a tool- a somewhat disposable tool that's is a cold hearted killer. I'll take a big name bike any day of the week. They are efficient, light, parts available everywhere and I never, ever pay cost. If I'm not racing and just riding- yes, a nice custom bike will make me feel special every time I ride it. You need the right tool for the job.

eippo1
12-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Any of them if it fit my needs. My mtn bike is a Specialized Camber. Why? Because it was the right tool for the right job at the right price for me. I like to support the little guy, do what I can to buy local, and drool over nice lugwork and pretty welds. But sometimes, the equation just works better even if I may not be 100% behind their business model.

FlashUNC
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
There's a false dichotomy being thrown around in this thread. Either its the Big Four or you wait in line for a custom.

Reality is even if you race, there are a ton of the types of bikes bring cranked out just like the Big Four without as much baggage.

Get a cross bike from Redline, a road race frame from Diamondback or Fuji, or a mountain frame from, jeez, a bajillion companies.

Convenience doesn't mean you're stuck with Special Ed or bust. Industry ain't short of choice these days.

pjmsj21
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I test rode a Trek Domane a few weeks ago and am giving one serious consideration.

The geometry is certainly works for me which is usually not the case with most stock bikes. The Domane probably climbed more efficiently than any of my current rides (Serotta and custom Gunnar), had a nice compliant ride, and in general handled great. Yes it might be hard for me to initially psychologically to bond with the Trek, but the bike certainly performed and isn't that what it is all about?

josephr
12-08-2013, 09:49 PM
That said, I just sold my CAAD9X so I'm Cannondale-less, but I do have a Lefty that's about to go onto a On-One frame...

pictures required.
Joe

choke
12-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Every Apple product, SRAM component, television I don't own any of those either. :)

bargainguy
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Nothing against the Big 3, 4 or whatever, but I'm a big fan of Jamis bikes as being good values for the money and really nice craftsmanship. Previously the company was Maruishi; I had a steel Emporer that rode exceptionally well.

JAGI410
12-08-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd buy a Giant or Cannondale. I'd buy a Kona or a Raleigh too.

fourflys
12-08-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm with the poster who said that he doesn't understand the distaste for the bigger companies products. I've ridden a few of the bikes and they are all supremely competent bikes.

As for made in China/Taiwan and slapped a sticker on it, don't be so naive, just about everything is made in the east these days. That doesn't mean they aren't designed in the USA. The super six Evo isn't a Chinese mold frame that Cannondale bought and put their paint on. Neither is the Specialized Tarmac SL4. Every Apple product, SRAM component, television- all of it made in the east. That is the reality of today's mass production.

Let's get something straight- if I'm racing, I need a tool- a somewhat disposable tool that's is a cold hearted killer. I'll take a big name bike any day of the week. They are efficient, light, parts available everywhere and I never, ever pay cost. If I'm not racing and just riding- yes, a nice custom bike will make me feel special every time I ride it. You need the right tool for the job.

Good points...

I'll never get paid to race a bike and likely wouldn't get anything short of a percentage off merchandise either so I'll get the bike that makes me feel good... Pretty sure I wouldn't feel the difference between a cross weapon like a Rock Lobster or a low-end Tricross when it come to the mechanics of the bike... I ride or race cross because I enjoy it and it helps to keep me somewhat fit (when I'm actually riding), for that I'll take some under the radar brand every time rather than something everyone and their brother has... And the big 3/4 certainly make some fantastic bikes...

Javaman
12-08-2013, 10:24 PM

+1. First bike was a Cannondale Caad 3. Loved it but for some reason I wasn't satisfied for I felt that everybody was riding a Cannondale and didn't feel special. :rolleyes: Since then, bought a few used steel bikes and loved those as well. Lately, I've realized that no matter I ride I will be satisfied and happy, for in the end, I just simply love riding bicycles. I ride a 2001 Cannondale Caad5 now. Bought used from Ebay. Cheap, few dents on the tt and cs. Looking forward to riding it all the time. :banana:

I do have other bikes and I love them all, especially my Hors Cat.

cmg
12-08-2013, 10:39 PM
probably never going buy a new frame/fork from a bike shop. my last new from a shop was in 2004. all others are from eBay, craigslist or a forum. same for drivertrains. as far as a restriction of manufactuer, there isn't, size/fit matters.

HugoBear
12-08-2013, 11:27 PM
I have a Strong TI, a Yeti SB66C MTB and both a Cervelo R3 and P3, and just sold a Peg Duende and think all of them are great. The Cannondale EVO is an amazing bike. I probably would not buy any of the big box bikes new or now because I have already done that and don't think the new ones are really much better than what I have.
I think ride what you think is cool and helps you to achieve what you are trying to achieve from riding. They are just bikes…...

Puget Pounder
12-09-2013, 01:50 AM
All of these "none" posts are no fun. If I had to, I might go with Ridley. Had a Pegasus for a year or two and it was a solid bike. Or a C'dale.

dgauthier
12-09-2013, 02:52 AM
+1 on a Cannondale. Never liked any of the Treks, Giants or Specialized bikes I've test ridden. If I were shopping for a stock bike, I'd try a Cervelo and BMC too, but I'd probably skip all the carbon fibre and buy an aluminum C'dale.

Llewellyn
12-09-2013, 04:39 AM
I wouldn't buy any of 'em. Way too many better options available

OtayBW
12-09-2013, 06:03 AM
A lot of good points here. And yes (^), what gets me is the number of people who drop a fair chunk of change down on a 'Big 4' bike at the LBS without realizing the breadth of options out there. Want fries with that?

Tandem Rider
12-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Maybe I'm a little blind here, but what I'm seeing is a little hypocrisy. Let me illustrate, look in the garage for example, what is the brand name on that infernal combustion masterpiece? What are the politics of the company? Have they ever done anything we would deem not nice? How about the company that owns the brand name and the model name? What are the ethics of those companies and how have they behaved over the years? What were the deciding factors that influenced your choice in vehicle?

Lets move on to the "entertainment center", no, not the bike rack, the electronics. Look at that one, same questions.

Now, lets look at the bike room, lets apply the same standards to our choices there. I bet a lot of bike racks would look a lot different if we all did that.

Not defending Sinyard and his team of lawyers nor saying this is their best choice, but we do need to keep it all in perspective and be honest with ourselves before we pile on.

OtayBW
12-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Maybe I'm a little blind here, but what I'm seeing is a little hypocrisy. Let me illustrate, look in the garage for example, what is the brand name on that infernal combustion masterpiece? What are the politics of the company? Have they ever done anything we would deem not nice? How about the company that owns the brand name and the model name? What are the ethics of those companies and how have they behaved over the years? What were the deciding factors that influenced your choice in vehicle?

Lets move on to the "entertainment center", no, not the bike rack, the electronics. Look at that one, same questions.

Now, lets look at the bike room, lets apply the same standards to our choices there. I bet a lot of bike racks would look a lot different if we all did that.

Not defending Sinyard and his team of lawyers nor saying this is their best choice, but we do need to keep it all in perspective and be honest with ourselves before we pile on.
I think you bring in to the discussion way more than anything that I consider in making a purchase on a bike. Thomas Merton once said that 'the only way to live out the full consciousness of your convictions is to become a monk'. Short of that, we ALL make compromises, and I make my moral/ethical/green decisions in a manner consistent with whatever compromise I'm willing to live with on any given topic. In the grand scheme of things, bicycle purchases aren't that complicated.

Tony
12-09-2013, 10:06 AM

I can't keep track of who owns my school loan this month let alone who owns which bike company and who in turn they are a subsidiary of. And then on top of that to have intimate knowledge of the business practices of said companies (companies whose existence I'm not even aware of) is well beyond the scope of what most folks think about when buying a bike.
To add on to that arduous task and onerous one of doing research on each and every company and all the subsequent companies that own them is more than i would guess most of us and certainly more than i have the aptitude for.
In the grocery store, eggs say whether or not they are free range on the package and despite the dubious nature of exactly what free range really means, I chose at great pain to my wallet the one i feel is better for me, for the chickens and for the planet. I see no such labeling of any kind on the bike i may buy.

sales guy
12-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't own a current model/style bike from any of the biggies. And I can get them cheap being an industry guy. But I'd rather not. It's. It that they make bad stuff, some do of course. I just prefer not too. But I'm also looking at the geometry of their bikes and nothing comes in line with what I want sizing wise.

So why should I get a biggie when they won't fit right? When I can just as easy call up Time or Parlee or someone else and get what I want and need?

That's the real point and way I look at it.

If I was job regular, I would look at what S is doing and heavily base my buying choice on it. I'm not a fan of screwing the little guy.

Liv2RideHard
12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
None. My current stable consists of a Sachs Signature Road, a Tommasini Tecno, a Primus Mootry Kluisberg, a Jonathan Greene MTB, a Jonathan Greene CX machine and a Ventana El Chiquillo. I know who built all of my bikes. I know where they came from and the passion that went into them. I can pick up a phone and call any of them anytime. The bigs do not make a product that interest me. I do not plan to buy from any of them...and this situation with the Spec_ed has just reinforced my decision. Goes for bikes and related accessories. I tend to stick to products made in the USA or Italy. Just a personal decision I have made. Small independent builders build bikes with soul. Many of the bikes made by the bigs have no soul, no feeling went into them. They were just stamped out and stamped out in massive numbers. Those bikes feel impersonal and I have a hard time connecting with them. Just how I feel.

cfox
12-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Does Pinarello count? If I had to buy a stock bike, I'd a get a Movistar Dogma with Boras and EPS. Sidenote: sadly, Movistar is moving to Canyon (yaaaawn) next year, ending a very long collaboration between Reynolds/Banesto/Caisse d'Epargne/Movistar and Pinarello.

fiataccompli
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
my taste in bikes is much like my taste in other mechanical art. for instance, most of my life I've owned/driven/collected cars that are different from the mainstream. For the last nearly 20 years, my taste has been for European stuff & I have 4 Fiats at home (model years from 1968-1972) and an '87 BMW E28 535is. My driveway has hosted '70s & '80s Mercedes diesels, a Range Rover, and various other machines....nothing the automotive equivalent of a custom built bicycle, but not a Toyota Camry either. Interestingly, I'm actually negotiating selling the BMW & at least one of the Fiats to make space (and funds) to buy a VW TDI wagon (to support the cycling habit for one part). Anyway, the point of the lengthy over-share is to say it makes sense that my taste in bikes falls a bit outside the mainstream as well. It seems like there are so many options - especially with communities like this where you can trade parts around pretty easily - that there's never a need to have a mainstream bike. I can't say I have anything against the typical bike you see on a big group training ride (90% Trek & Specialized around here), but I think a long time ago I conditioned myself to want something a little different....and maybe for that reason alone - which I'm fine with. I enjoy older hand made frames -sometimes built up with modern components and I enjoy some newish bikes that I have picked up such as a Salsa Casseroll & a Kona Honky Inc. that are not really mainstream machines in any way. I also just got finished building up a 2003 or 2004 Trek CF 5200 that I picked up from a friend...yeah, I'll ride it.

bking
12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I've got Sachs, Kirk, Peg, BMC, Colnago, Lewellyn, Speedvagen, CoMotion (tandem), Seven, Pereira etc.
I bought a CAAD 10 last summer and love it.

I think there are lots of great bikes out there, made by big and not so big. Find the bike that when you see it you want to throw a leg over and ride it, Trek, Giant, Firefly (definitely gotta go there soon) or Winter.
Lot's of good bikes out there.

biker72
12-09-2013, 11:50 AM

I own 2 Specialized bikes and one Seven. I'm not selling any of them.

Ralph
12-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't mind buying a CAAD 10 new, especially when Campy has their BB30 Cranksets out next year.

Fixed
12-09-2013, 01:05 PM
just give me campy
i think the big boys all ride about the same
not the soul of custom or handmade in small shop
imho
cheers :)

AgilisMerlin
12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
would be interested in trying this,

as far as the rest, i have what i need

http://dirtragmag.com/userfiles/moonlanderreview-10.jpg

btw/ not a big fan of the rims /

bikingshearer
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Since I am a non-racer, road-only, lugged steel, slow-and-getting-slower kind of guy, it is highly unlikely that I will ever buy a bike or frame from any of the Big Boys. Carbon fiber and aluminum do not interest me at all, as I simply don't care for the aesthetic.

Dumb reason? If I raced, it would be. But I don't, and a major part of the enjoyment of my rides is looking down and seeing a beautiful piece of lugged steel that I am propelling. Even though I tease some of my friends about their "plastic" bikes spontaneously combusting or ask how many used beer cans went into making their frame, banter between friends is all it is. They seem to like them and I have no doubt they are great machines, and I am delighted to be able to ride with these folks regardless of the frame material. But if it ain't steel, it don't float my boat. Something to do with what was high-end in my ill-spent youth and enjoying now the toys I lusted after and couldn't afford then.

Nags&Ducs
12-09-2013, 02:22 PM
If I HAD to pick a "big guy" to buy from, it'd be Giant...

I guess it depends on what you mean by "big guy"...

I'm right there with ya fourflys! Giant has always been a reputable company that doesn't do over the top marketing (at least as far as I can recall). I would also buy a top-tier Cdale.

rain dogs
12-09-2013, 02:30 PM
My question is: Who ARE the "big" brands/company bikes?

I know that North American naval gazing tells us it's: Specialized, Trek, Giant and Cannondale.... but is it?

Who are the biggest globally? I think the Taiwanese Giant is king, but what about Merida? What about Accell?

Just cause I buy a Lapierre doesn't mean it's not a mega company product.

I tried to find hard numbers on this, but I guess I didn't search well enough. For companies like Dorel, how do you tease out the money they make from Cannondale/GT/Schwinn/Iron Horse/Mongoose/etc.

rnhood
12-09-2013, 02:39 PM
I'd buy another bike from any of the big brands. I've racked up a little over 20K miles on my Spec Tarmac, and I like it more today than the day I got it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

The Cannnondale evo looks very interesting. The Specializled geometry is a little better suited for me (imho), but that Cannondale looks very good. I may have to get out and demo one.

Giants are fine bikes too. Heck, all bikes today are generally good. I'm also interested in a Serotta HSG or Meivici. Just need to run across one my size. Obviously not a big brand anymore but, still a very good bike from what I understand.

sparky33
12-09-2013, 02:41 PM
not Specialized.

I think they are going trademark "bike riding" soon.

csm
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
I'd buy a trek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EDS
12-09-2013, 06:08 PM
I own a Giant TCR Advanced SL from a few years ago (previous generation frame) which I think is great and has never held me back. That said, neither does my Serotta despite its heft.

bikinchris
12-09-2013, 06:35 PM

There is always the used market for good high quality bikes. Thank goodness I was screwed by Cdale and bought my first Ti Serotta. Otherwise, I might not know the difference and still want to ride one of the mass produced bike shaped objects known as Trek, Cannondale etc.

Bradford
12-10-2013, 08:58 AM
I would buy a bike from any of the big companies.

To paraphrase what my dad told me about women when I was in high school, there is no such thing as an ugly bike, just some are better looking than others.

Johnny P
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
I test rode a Trek Domane a few weeks ago and am giving one serious consideration.

The geometry is certainly works for me which is usually not the case with most stock bikes. The Domane probably climbed more efficiently than any of my current rides (Serotta and custom Gunnar), had a nice compliant ride, and in general handled great. Yes it might be hard for me to initially psychologically to bond with the Trek, but the bike certainly performed and isn't that what it is all about?

I bought a Domane in 2012 and have no complaints at all. It is a really nice bike.

Ti Designs
12-11-2013, 12:42 PM
not Specialized.

I think they are going trademark "bike riding" soon.

The people who design and spec the bikes are NOT the same ones going after anyone who uses on of their trademarked names. Specialized's method of changing their lines by adding to the top has allowed them to offer greater performance at all levels - something few other companies have figured out. Not so long ago a Tarmac SL2 frame could be found with Dura-Ace parts, being called a Tarmac Pro and being races at the highest levels. Now an SL2 frame can be found with Tiagra parts at an entry level price. It takes a large company to offer that kind of trickle-down performance. It also explains why they guard their trademarks so closely, they have a lot riding on them. OK, going after some old guy in Canada was a bit off the deep end, but a quarter of their road line-up falls under the Roubaix name, what if everyone and their brother produced something called the Roubaix??? For the amount of good they do for the sport, I'm willing to put up with a few dickheads in their legal department.