PDA

View Full Version : musician role call

Fixed
01-21-2006, 10:47 AM
bro how many bros play it seem like a lot i play piano and guitar my son plays piano ,oboe and flute

ergott
01-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Trombone, tuba, French horn, euphonium, electric bass and a little piano. I can make my way around the drums, saxes, and clarinets if I have to and I don't spend any time on flute, oboe, and bassoon so I'm horrible at them.

PS can you tell I teach music for a carreer? :D

Fixed
01-21-2006, 11:06 AM
bro that is what I wanted to do if I had stayed in school cheers :beer:

Bill Bove
01-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I play the radio, I tried playing a CD but the buttons confused me.

Ray
01-21-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't play much other than my mp3 player these days. But I wore out a few guitars in my youth. I was never very good, but I had a lot of fun with it. Played for beer and pizza with a buddy of mine at a few bars when I was a ski bum in the early 80's and sat in with a few local bands from time to time. Basically a blues and blues rock player. Never learned much beyond the pentatonic scale and a bunch of chords, so I was real limited. But on a good night, I played with a lot of feel. Couldn't sing to save my life though, so couldn't do anything solo.

-Ray

gone
01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
bro how many bros play it seem like a lot i play piano and guitar my son plays piano ,oboe and flute

Piano (a Yamaha C7, predominantly classical, some ragtime) and guitar (a 30 year old Martin D28). Never played professionally though I have played chamber music with violin/viola/cello playing friends.

Greg

William
01-21-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.musichouseshop.com/store/media/ak-232.jpg

I'm a picker, not a player. ;)

William

Jeff N.
01-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Drums. Just messing around though, with some friends who play git-fiddles. Just garage rock'n'roll. I ain't no John Bonham though, that's for sure. I'm more Charlie Watts-ish. Jeff N.

csm
01-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I play the stereo. quite well too. we got the 12 yo a drumset last fall. I've been playing that a bit. double kick, roto toms, cymbals, it rocks. the neighbor was on the porch last night complaining. haha. wait until the marshall stacks get here.

What song is it you wanna hear?

PanTerra
01-21-2006, 01:48 PM
A Lawson Fourier....SWEEET!

Fixed
01-21-2006, 02:37 PM
we also have a hammond organ in the house from 1955 and it works great cheers

EPOJoe
01-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I play bass for this bunch of ner-do-wells. Saxon's the guitarist.

http://www.theaesthetics.com

Bet that '55 Hammond sounds great, Fixed :banana:

Fixed
01-21-2006, 03:13 PM
bro the organ is cool I learned to play when I was a kid in church the old bro that taught me new all the jazz cats he even knew jimmy smith he died a few years ago and I got the organ he had at his house cheers

Serpico
01-21-2006, 03:18 PM
bro, I used to play piano and trumpet--it's been awhile though

played the trumpet in school, from elementary school till high school

took piano lessons on the side

it's been about 15 years though :o

compei :beer:

CT Rider
01-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Guitars and cycling are my major entertainment forms.

My Guitar Collection (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stanley.malinowski@snet.net/album?.dir=/2178&urlhint=actn,del%3as,1%3af,0)

Fixed
01-21-2006, 03:27 PM

My Guitar Collection (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stanley.malinowski@snet.net/album?.dir=/2178&urlhint=actn,del%3as,1%3af,0)
bro sweet cheers :beer:

Grant McLean
01-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Trombone, tuba, French horn, euphonium, electric bass and a little piano. I can make my way around the drums, saxes, and clarinets if I have to and I don't spend any time on flute, oboe, and bassoon so I'm horrible at them.

PS can you tell I teach music for a carreer? :D

What? No COWBELL ?

-g

Ray
01-21-2006, 03:41 PM
bro the organ is cool I learned to play when I was a kid in church the old bro that taught me new all the jazz cats he even knew jimmy smith he died a few years ago and I got the organ he had at his house cheers
Fixed, you're saying that you now own the organ that Jimmy Smith had in his house?!?!?!?! That's pretty amazing - like having a Hendrix Strat but moreso because guitars are a lot easier to have a few of than a big piece like an organ. Very cool - enjoy it!

And CT Rider - that's a major league guitar collection. I'm rather impressed to say the least. All of those Andersons and PRSs and an actual '59 Les Paul. Pretty much on a scale with DRBK's bike collection.

-Ray

GoJavs
01-21-2006, 03:45 PM
drums.

leftyfreak
01-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Soprano and alto saxophones. Tenor too, if I could afford one.

Classically trained, but playing more jazz these days. Did performances in both genres last night.

Clarinet if I have to.

lefty

SManning
01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I play the piano and clarinet. I have a degree in music performance and a master's degree in music education. (My mother about flipped when I chose a music degree, but I'm glad I didn't listen to her.) I don't play my clarinet much anymore; It's just not much fun to play by yourself. I was also pretty burnt out after working on my graduate studies at Iowa. There were just too many gaps in my playing that I knew about; it just wasn't as much fun.

I now teach 453 elementary students and absolutely love it. They're great kids and make beautiful music. My choir is loads of fun and they're able to do some remarkable stuff. I absolutely love my job. I feel so lucky to get to do something I love everyday.

DfCas
01-21-2006, 05:29 PM
I played a Hammond B-3 years ago in rock bands as a full time musician.I don't play anymore,but I've made my living as a piano tuner- technician for the last 21 years.

dan

Fixed
01-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Fixed, you're saying that you now own the organ that Jimmy Smith had in his house?!?!?!?! That's pretty amazing - like having a Hendrix Strat but moreso because guitars are a lot easier to have a few of than a big piece like an organ. Very cool - enjoy it!

And CT Rider - that's a major league guitar collection. I'm rather impressed to say the least. All of those Andersons and PRSs and an actual '59 Les Paul. Pretty much on a scale with DRBK's bike collection.

-Ray bro not jimmy's organ my old bro knew him when they were young in Philly. mr bro died a few years before jimmy he also gave me all of jimmy's albums and that is cool i.m.h.o.

Birddog
01-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Jews Harp

http://www.jewsharpguild.org/

http://www.claytonbailey.com/jawcollect.htm

Fixed
01-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Jews Harp

http://www.jewsharpguild.org/

http://www.claytonbailey.com/jawcollect.htm
bro I saw a cat play that with herbie hancock pretty cool duet with a tenor sax b.e.t.on jazz herbie hancock concert early 90's oh yeah had a chick on drums that played like an angel i.m.h.o.

justinf
01-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm in. . .piano, organ, drums, guitar, bass, vocals, produce records (very recently and for years professionally but have backed away for a while). Music's my thing. Glad to see I'm not the only one, but I kinda figured as much around here. . .

Ti Designs
01-21-2006, 10:16 PM
I've played piano for 30 years now, kinda on and off. These days I find myself playing for at least an hour a day as I get more and more into it. My parents had a baby grand when I grew up so I've always wanted a real piano - even tried to buy one when I was in school and living in a dorm (who ever said school makes you smart???). Now I make due with electric piano(s). I had the original Roland RD300-S which I played the keys off of and got rid of a few years ago. Now I have a Yamaha P120 which is kinda cheap by piano standards, but the limiting factor is still the guy on the bench (not unlike bikes!). Just recently I've been getting more and more into expanding my MIDI studio. I have all kinds of synths and sampler modules making all kinds of sounds - it's all fun stuff.

If there is some sort of open house thing at Serotta this year, I can bring my little D50 and a piano module plus my little mixing board and an amp - anyone else want to make some noise?

Sandy
01-21-2006, 10:22 PM
I was just thinking that it would be a neat idea to have some of our musicians play at a Serotta gathering, say at an Open House. I bet there would be a great deal of interest in listening to some of the talented ones that we have here.

Sandy

Fixed
01-21-2006, 10:31 PM
bro serotta jam cool c.d. cheers

93legendti
01-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Guitar and a little vocals. Been playing 32 years.

93legendti
01-21-2006, 10:42 PM

Nice collection. The Dano is sweet--almost makes me want to paint my Jerry Jones.

wanderingwheel
01-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Trombone and voice. Can't do either very well, but I did sing at Carnegie Hall in a choir.

djg
01-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Nylon: Contreras II
Steel: Santa Cruz OM1
Plugged: Epiphone Sheraton

Need to play more. Also need more cow bell.

CT Rider
01-22-2006, 09:02 AM
'm rather impressed to say the least. All of those Andersons and PRSs and an actual '59 Les Paul. Pretty much on a scale with DRBK's bike collection.

Ray,

Thanks for he compliment. I wish it were a real 59 Paul, but it's a 2000 R9 Reissue model. The last couple of real 59s I saw went for over $125K each!

CT Rider
01-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Nice collection. The Dano is sweet--almost makes me want to paint my Jerry Jones.

93legendti,

Wiley Coyote is my idol! When I saw taht guitar on eBAY there was no hesitation on using Buy It Now! This was done by an artist down in Florida, he did a couple of Simpons Dano Art, including Itchy & Scratchy!

Jerry Jones makes some excellent guitars! Are they still in business?

OldDog
01-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Strummed and plucked a little on guitar and banjo but have not played with them in years. If there was a poster child for tone deafness, it's me. Anymore I just listen to the ringing in my ears (tinnitus).

Shameless plug - I have a Fender Telecaster signed by Fogerty, blue moon rising theme on pick guard, for sale. Actually it's my boys, though I am baby sitting it. Never played. He manages a chain of record stores here in the northeast. Won it in a distributors contest for a window display for one of Fogerty's tours, may 7 - 8 years ago.

Don't know what it is worth. Telecasters are rather inexpensive to start with. Any advice would be appreciated.

CT Rider
01-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Don't know what it is worth. Telecasters are rather inexpensive to start with. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fender makes a wide range of Teles - Mexican made ones are about $350 new, American made models are in the $900 range new. Take at look at the headstock, it should say where it's made. Without seeeing the guitar I would guess $400-500 it it was made in Mexico and maybe $800-900 if it was an American made model.

Autographed guitar prices vary, so collectors love them and pat top $$$, others insist the autograph devalues the guitar. As with everything, you need to hook up with the right buyer.

93legendti
01-22-2006, 10:43 AM
93legendti,

Wiley Coyote is my idol! When I saw taht guitar on eBAY there was no hesitation on using Buy It Now! This was done by an artist down in Florida, he did a couple of Simpons Dano Art, including Itchy & Scratchy!

Jerry Jones makes some excellent guitars! Are they still in business?

Good question, I bought my JJ in '97 on my birthday. I played it at my wedding. It is a very cool guitar.

Catulle
01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Maracas count?

:D

Russell
01-25-2006, 08:17 AM
played the trumpet and french horn in high school. took up the bong in college. my wife and kids would argue that i don't (can't) play the guitar.

feedback rules!

William
01-25-2006, 08:26 AM
played the trumpet and french horn in high school. took up the bong in college. my wife and kids would argue that i don't (can't) play the guitar.

feedback rules!

Russell,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Bong is really a musical instrument??? :confused:

http://www.mondu.cc/images/14%20Bong.jpg

Just saying...

William ;) :D

flydhest
01-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I play guitar badly and drums even worse. American standard strat through a Fender blues deluxe, however, sounds nifty.

speaking of organs, keno plays with his and manet plays the flesh flute.

Sandy
01-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Lucy has her paws over her ears right now. :)

Silent Sandy

Spectrum Bob
01-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I played a mean Blues Harmonica in my youth and still pick it up from time to time.
I also play a Jews Harp, Jug and Wash Tub Base – I was in a jug band as a kid.

Birddog
01-25-2006, 10:34 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Bong is really a musical instrument???
You're right. A Bong is not a musical instrument, they are commonly thought to be Music Enhancers. There is no scientific evidence that they in fact do enhance music, but testimonials from Bong users are consistent in their belief that they do enhance the music both from a listening and a performing aspect. The widespread use of Bongs is legendary. I myself have been around Bong users, and can attest to the fact that there might be "something" to all this, as each and every participant after "playing" the Bong seemed to be more involved in the music. Comments like "wow" and "farout" were quite common after use, indicating that some change had occurred. I think the observed side effects of Bong use (hunger, lethargy, and deep sleep) tend to cancel out any benefits, but then I only was a non-scientific observer.

Birddog

Allez!
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Bagpipes - for the past 9 years.

William
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Bagpipes - for the past 9 years.

Now THAT'S Cool!! :cool:
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock & roll. ;)

...but then I only was a non-scientific observer.

Rrrrrrrrrrrright. Just an observer. :rolleyes: The mini marshmellow on your chin gave you away. ;)

William