PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fork Steerer

campy man
12-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Is it possible to replace a fork steerer on a steel fork?

David Kirk
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe - most things are possible but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What type of fork do you have and why does the steerer need replacing?

dave

beeatnik
12-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Maybe - most things are possible but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What type of fork do you have and why does the steerer need replacing?

dave

"You can drive a car with your feet but that don't mean it's a good forking idea!!!"

Chris Rock

haha

ultraman6970
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Yes you can, but as usual the guy brazing has to be good. Once the thing is done is almost sure the steering tube might need to be rethreaded to fit your necessities unless you want to go unthreaded, ifn a guy that has the tools to work with the crown race area.

The good about changing the steering tube is that if sometihng happens the fork will be held but the brake caliper, generally you know that something its wrong before a disaster because the caliper bolt will hold everything in place.

Change a fork blade IMO is a different story, you really need to know what are you doing.

YoKev
12-09-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen (on the internet) Frank The Welder do that before.

ColonelJLloyd
12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
i'm pretty sure i've seen (on the internet) frank the welder do that before.

+1

tv_vt
12-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Seems like just buying a new fork would be in the same ballpark pricewise.

I'd worry about alignment with a new steerer brazed on. But maybe that's no more of an issue than it is for a new steel fork.

David Kirk
12-09-2013, 03:15 PM
The OP'r never even said it was a lugged fork just that it was steel. Just as likely it's a tigged unicrown fork.

I agree that the skill of the person doing the replacement on a lugged fork is important..........nearly as important was the skill of the guy who put it together the first time and that it far outside anyone's control at this point. Who knows how well is was stuck together the first time and how hot it got back in the day.

If it was a rear dropout or c-stay I'd say got for it...............but when a fork fails the rider ends up spitting out their teeth like just so many chicklets. Not good.

Not worth the risk IMO.

Dave

bikinchris
12-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Not enough information. Does the fork have value as part of the frame (e.g. an original Colnago or other racing frame with a pedigree)?
Otherwise, is the fork even worth it? if it is a very old lugged fork, yes you can replace it. But a used fork would cost less.