PDA

View Full Version : 75th Anniversary Paramount......

SPOKE
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Didn't want to hi-jack the other active thread on this topic so.....

Any forum member place an order for one yet??
If so, did you go through a Waterford/Gunner dealer or direct to Waterford??
How was your experience with the process?

Tim Porter
12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
My first real race bike was a slightly used early '70s orange Paramount. I'm thinking about the 75th and will watch with interest to see if someone onboard here has ordered. Tim

SPOKE
12-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I want one.....BAD.......just trying to get a little better deal than retail. Willing to pay up front if the deal is good enuf...;)

Anyone able to hook me up???

RudAwkning
12-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Our shop has 2 spoken for. One for the floor and one for a customer. Another potential buyer but he hasn't committed yet.

SPOKE
01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Any forum members place an order for one of these??

kramnnim
01-02-2014, 03:33 PM
A guy I know on IRC has one coming in the next week or two. (#cycling on efnet)

cnighbor1
01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
I sent Richard Schwinn your comment on the Schwinn Paramount 75th Frame
he replied
January 3, 2013

''Hi Charles,

Thanks for the heads up. Words like that warm the cockles of my heart. As of right now we have three empty spaces left.

Thanks,

Richard Schwinn''

SPOKE
01-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one. Like I needed another bike....:eek:
I was told to expect delivery in March. It will be a sweet addition to the collection. Will also be neat to compare the ride quality to my 50th Anniversary Paramount.

Mikej
01-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Spoke, what kind of upgrades did you go with? That's where they get you, all of that delicious polished stainless.

eddief
01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
are looking...well...like fine, modern, gorgeous steel bikes. Nice to see the companies hooking up and keeping some lore alive.

SPOKE
01-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Spoke, what kind of upgrades did you go with? That's where they get you, all of that delicious polished stainless.

Stainless tubes, polished lugs & crown, painted main tubes, internal brake cable. No Di2 plumbing though.

thirdgenbird
01-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Level top tube?
Color?
Component group?

SPOKE
01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Level top tube?
Color?
Component group?

Yes
Pearl white
Not sure yet but most likely Campy 80th. Still need to figure out the wheels.

thirdgenbird
01-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes
Pearl white
Not sure yet but most likely Campy 80th. Still need to figure out the wheels.

YES!

the first time I heard about these, I said I wanted to see one with an 80th group.

I would look at doing record hubs laced to dt440 or tb14 rims.

I am extremely excited to see this.

SPOKE
01-04-2014, 12:28 PM
YES!

the first time I heard about these, I said I wanted to see one with an 80th group.

I would look at doing record hubs laced to dt440 or tb14 rims.

I am extremely excited to see this.

I already have the campy 80th kit. (Wish I could swing getting one to just keep in the closet)
Black Campy Record hubs laced to a DT rim with some red in the labels could work.

thirdgenbird
01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking silver spokes, seatpost, stem and handlebars. Maybe the silver Paul skewers when they get released.

http://www.paulcomp.com/store/i/is.aspx?path=/Shared/img/news/qrnews.jpg&lr=t&bw=440&bh=440

Oh, and a deep red recovered saddle and handlebra?

thirdgenbird
01-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Another suggestion, king ti cages.

Ahneida Ride
01-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm thinking silver spokes, seatpost, stem and handlebars. Maybe the silver Paul skewers when they get released.

http://www.paulcomp.com/store/i/is.aspx?path=/Shared/img/news/qrnews.jpg&lr=t&bw=440&bh=440

Oh, and a deep red recovered saddle and handlebra?

We can match the Saddle and Wrap in identical leather.

SPOKE
01-04-2014, 04:08 PM
We can match the Saddle and Wrap in identical leather.

Hmm....maybe a red saddle. I just need to find another Strokia to send you Ray.

Rednivek
01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
I ordered one via LBS dealer... got the two hour Serotta system measurements...

Will be like #1 with SS rear, but light blue in front and Campy components, and not EPS. Tried to source as much USA as possible and no carbon (Chris King, Thomson, White Ind, Velocity, etc)... I am creating a website outlining all the components plus the frame, other 75s, etc.

Website creation mainly to keep my excitement at bay... should be getting it in about a week or two!

thirdgenbird
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm excited for both of these builds. What campy group? Silver?

Rednivek
01-05-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm excited for both of these builds. What campy group? Silver?

Athena 11 to stay metal... and then black to offset the SS chainstay/seatstay rear, etc. Athena group has Chorus silver gears.... and then I went with Silver brifter handles to offset from the black handlebars. Silver would be more retro, but Silver against SS I thought would be too much.

So, its a mix of Light Blue Metallic, SS, and Black... hopefully I have envisioned the contrast correctly.

thirdgenbird
01-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Athena 11 to stay metal... and then black to offset the SS chainstay/seatstay rear, etc. Athena group has Chorus silver gears.... and then I went with Silver brifter handles to offset from the black handlebars. Silver would be more retro, but Silver against SS I thought would be too much.

So, its a mix of Light Blue Metallic, SS, and Black... hopefully I have envisioned the contrast correctly.

I see where you are going. Black does generally look better on raw alloy/ti bikes.

Its a little (or a lot) different, but I tried to contrast black and silver on my single speed:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/sscx/100_1191.jpg

SPOKE
01-05-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm not going for a complete "retro" look. I'll be usuing mostly current bits & pieces. The exception may be the saddle. I really like the Strokia's deform a fee years ago. I'll also try to get a campy carbon seatpost since I think it will look good with the finish on the campy 80th parts.

Rednivek
01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I see where you are going. Black does generally look better on raw alloy/ti bikes.

Its a little (or a lot) different, but I tried to contrast black and silver on my single speed:

Very nice, yeah, thats kinda the idea except probably a little more silver/SS.

Rednivek
01-05-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm not going for a complete "retro" look. I'll be usuing mostly current bits & pieces. The exception may be the saddle. I really like the Strokia's deform a fee years ago. I'll also try to get a campy carbon seatpost since I think it will look good with the finish on the campy 80th parts.

Which saddle is that?

I think I'm going B17... riding one today and I'm addicted to the feel, slide back for hard pedaling and slide forward for comfort/flex.

Scooper
01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
I mentioned in the other thread that I'm very excited about the 75th anniversary Paramount project.

When I learned in 2006 that Waterford was building Reynolds 953 frames, I ordered one with geometry virtually identical to my 1972 P15 Paramount. I took delivery in May, 2007, and built it up with Campy Record 10-s components. It is my dream bike, and I can't imagine any builder doing a better job than Waterford did with this bike. The brazing is as close to perfect as I've ever seen. Imperfections like file marks and any sloppiness in shorelines stick out like a sore thumb on a polished stainless steel frame, and are completely absent on my frame. I've ridden it twice from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and it's fast and comfortable.

Those of you who have ordered one of these gems will be pleased.