PDA

View Full Version : running campy 11spd rings on 10spd cranks, looks like i need a spacer?

wallymann
12-06-2013, 10:14 AM
i pulled some rings off an 11spd crankset intending to run them on a 10spd crankset. i kept the 5th-arm spacer with the 10spd cranks so the inter-ring spacing is correct (11spd chainring tabs are thinner than 10spd).

but it looks like the 11spd rings have a machined relief on the outer face where the chaining bolt heads go...which is causing a problem w/ the hidden 5th-arm that mates flush with the inside of the crank-arm. after snugging down the other 4 bolts, it looks like i need ~1mm thick spacer to fill that gap between the big-ring and the crank-arm. there were 2 paper thin spacers that were used when the 11spd rings were fitted to the 11spd cranks, but they're nowhere near thick enough to fill in the gap when fitted to the 10spd cranks.

guess i have 2 questions for the peanut-gallery:
1. is what i'm seeing correct, i need a reasonably thick spacer for the 11spd rings to fit properly on 10spd cranks?
2. anyone have a good source for a proper-thickness spacer so this will work?

i'm more than likely going to order some stainless washers from mcmaster unless someone points me to some proper kit.

fwiw...i'm a 10spd guy across the board, so this fitment is just to ensure the rings fit securely and straight...whether they're 10/11 spd is irrelevant beyond that to me.

thx in advance!
walter

wallymann
12-06-2013, 11:07 AM
did more measurements...the 4 "normal" tangs on the 11spd ring are 4mm thick at the spider (same as the 10spd tangs for all 5 of them) while the 5th "hidden" 11spd tang is relieved down 3mm thickness ...so i'm off to mcmaster.com to order a 1mm thickness washer w/ 10mm ID and 14mm OD.

DRZRM
12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
You should grab a few extra, I'm sure there will be a market for them here (I'll need one eventually).

wallymann
12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
...just re-purposing a 1mm thick axle spacer, the 10mm ID is the std diameter for older steel axles so this spacer worked a treat!

thirdgenbird
12-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Great info! I will probably eventually move to 11 too