http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/SRAM-Recalls-Derailleurs-for-Bicycles

just a heads up for those who use...

apologies if this has been posted already

oldpotatoe
12-05-2013, 07:41 AM
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/SRAM-Recalls-Derailleurs-for-Bicycles

just a heads up for those who use...

apologies if this has been posted already

The 'R' word, never a good word in the world of bike stuff.

FlashUNC
12-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Warning, your derailleur may snap off and kill you.

Awesome.

rice rocket
12-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Warning, your derailleur may snap off and kill you.

Awesome.

Isn't that always the case with everything? Gottacover your bases if/when someone sues you.

I've snapped a rear derailleur before and while frightening, it didn't take me down. I'd rather have something snap off in my rear wheel than front wheel any day.

FlashUNC
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Isn't that always the case with everything? Gottacover your bases if/when someone sues you.

I've snapped a rear derailleur before and while frightening, it didn't take me down. I'd rather have something snap off in my rear wheel than front wheel any day.

Well yeah, but this has clearly happened enough for this vintage SRAM Red derailleur that they've felt the need to recall all of them.

druptight
12-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Well yeah, but this has clearly happened enough for this vintage SRAM Red derailleur that they've felt the need to recall all of them.

Incidents/Injuries

The firm has received reports of 43 incidents in the U.S. with one report of scrapes and bruises.

benb
12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
$380! What is up with that? Is that CPSC's estimate of what the derailleur plus installation would cost? Seems crazy high.

gavingould
12-05-2013, 10:20 AM
"10-speed, medium-cage WiFli rear derailleurs with serial numbers between 31T2000000 and 11T39999999, all of which were manufactured between September 2012 and March 2013"

RD breakage is less dangerous than all the brake, fork, and frame recalls. i've broken a couple RDs and hangers (did not crash nor felt mortal peril)

check out all these...http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls-0

Pelican
12-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Just bringing this back up in case anyone missed it a few days ago. I called SRAM and they confirmed that my short-cage derailleur is part of the recall, even though it's not a WiFli model. It's a good idea to check the part number if you're running the newer Red.

I was surprised that my LBS wanted $50 for "labor" to remove the part and "install the new one." When I told him I could do it myself and just bring in the derailleur, he said it would "Still be a $50 processing fee" to send it to SRAM.

cfox
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Just bringing this back up in case anyone missed it a few days ago. I called SRAM and they confirmed that my short-cage derailleur is part of the recall, even though it's not a WiFli model. It's a good idea to check the part number if you're running the newer Red.

I was surprised that my LBS wanted $50 for "labor" to remove the part and "install the new one." When I told him I could do it myself and just bring in the derailleur, he said it would "Still be a $50 processing fee" to send it to SRAM.

Hey Hose, meet Job

oldpotatoe
12-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Sram gives bike shops a credit or product to do the replacement. The LBS is a-scamming ya. There is no 'processing fee' from sram, what crapolla. No postage either, they send a SASE...

But that'll teach ya to use sram..........

Pelican
12-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Haha, you guys are too funny. There's more than one bike shop in town, I'm going to the more expensive specialty shop tomorrow. They'll take care of it for free as they should. SRAM sent me a tweet and a nice email follow-up too.

I'm pretty happy making the switch from (gasp!) Record to Red.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Sram gives bike shops a credit or product to do the replacement. The LBS is a-scamming ya. There is no 'processing fee' from sram, what crapolla. No postage either, they send a SASE...

But that'll teach ya to use sram..........

Not sure how this is SRAM's fault, rather than an over-reaching LBS. The easy refund/replacement policy you describe is what I understand it to be from my LBS. SRAM will replace anything, quickly and painlessly.

Contrast my experience with Shimano. It took me 5 weeks to get a 7900 right shifter replaced on a warranty claim (had less than 200 miles on it). My LBS is only two blocks away from the Shimano West Coast warehouse where warranties are processed.

Given that I only have one bike now, I much prefer to have to rely on SRAM's refund/replacement policy than Shimano's; the difference between having your bike down less than a week, to having it down more than a month. We can argue all day about SRAM's quality, but they'll have you up and running far quicker than Shimano (don't know about Campy USA warranty processing).

oldpotatoe
12-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Not sure how this is SRAM's fault, rather than an over-reaching LBS. The easy refund/replacement policy you describe is what I understand it to be from my LBS. SRAM will replace anything, quickly and painlessly.

Contrast my experience with Shimano. It took me 5 weeks to get a 7900 right shifter replaced on a warranty claim (had less than 200 miles on it). My LBS is only two blocks away from the Shimano West Coast warehouse where warranties are processed.

Given that I only have one bike now, I much prefer to have to rely on SRAM's refund/replacement policy than Shimano's; the difference between having your bike down less than a week, to having it down more than a month. We can argue all day about SRAM's quality, but they'll have you up and running far quicker than Shimano (don't know about Campy USA warranty processing).

LBS over reach 100%, thought my post implied that.

SRAM replace anything at anytime for any reason is over. Must have serial number, proof it's not beyond warranty these days.

IME shimano warranty also very good. If they have the gizmo, they send.

Rusty Luggs
12-11-2013, 09:37 AM
J....... I called SRAM and they confirmed that my short-cage derailleur is part of the recall, even though it's not a WiFli model. It's a good idea to check the part number if you're running the newer Red.....

I didn't get them same from SRAM. When I called the 800 number this morning and asked them to clarify if my short cage Red derailleur was part of the recall since it had a serial number within the range of the recall notice, the tech support person told me "if it isn't a WiFLi derailleur, it is not affected".