PDA

View Full Version : I've got a fever.

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 12:46 PM
And the only prescription—is more bike frame!

Took the plunge today and ordered a frame from a legendary American builder. 2-3 month wait; reasonable price; full custom.

I need it like a hole in the head, but it's going to be fun. And blue. With a matching Silca pump. And world championship stripes on the panels.

And, as the November sun fades behind clouds at 1:45 pm here in Gloomy Hollow, I picture riding it on a warm, sunny spring day. And start spec'ing parts!

Yeehaw.

mcteague
12-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Any reason you did not mention the builder? Sounds like a Spectrum!

Tim

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Figured it would be easy to guess. Not Spectrum—although they're sweet! Good guess...

Think a little further to the left...

skijoring
12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Della Santa...

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
ding ding ding ding ding!

skijoring
12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
ding ding ding ding ding!

Sweet - I have no need for that style of road frame
but they are lovely to look at.

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I was on the fence about something more modern—in particular, a Strong, but I already have a light steel OS bike with a carbon fork that I built.

I've always followed the name since the early Lemond years, and saw a couple recently that got me jazzed. He does a dark metallic blue that's reminiscent of Gios blue but deeper and more sparkly...

jmoore
12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
win!

can't wait to see it

RacerJRP
12-04-2013, 01:40 PM
A riding friend purchased a blue and white DS frameset a couple years back. I had the pleasure of building it for him. Great looking bike. I am sure it will be a fantastic ride.

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Talked to Roland on the phone today; heck of a nice guy, easy to talk to, no B.S.

Like a lot of old school folks, he was pretty much just interested in seat height, top tube length, seat angle/setback, and rider weight. Not a lot of fussing about other measurements. He was happy to accommodate a few things I asked for, including a burlier DT and chainstays (I'm 6'6"), the type of fork crown I want (flat), and maxing out the reach on short reach brakes so I can run larger tires.

The price was more than reasonable, and the timeframe was surprisingly short. Both made it easy to pull the trigger.

I'll post pics when it comes...

AngryScientist
12-04-2013, 01:55 PM
1) awesome

2) who does his paint ?

3) Campy, right?

4) what does the wheel-master put on his own bike

inquiring mind need to know.

MattTuck
12-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Yes!!

So, what color "blue" are we talking about? There are many many shades. And what about the panels?

Sounds awesome, cannot wait to see it built up!

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I think I'm going for a blue like this one (with similar panels/head tube)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41563482@N06/7146508527/sizes/l/in/photostream/

The painter is Jim Allen from down by San Diego. He was the painter for Masi USA, so he knows blue!

Nick, the answer on Campy is...most likely! I haven't had a Campy bike in a long time, but this might be the one. If so, most likely I'll do a mix of Chorus with Record shifters and crankset. It kills me to have to go Record to get a 180mm crank; it means literally doubling+ the price of the crankset.

For wheels, assuming I go the Campy route, I'll do Record hubs with H+Son Archetype Hard Ano rims, with silver spokes. Probably Michelin Pro4 tires. Although I'm intrigued by Shamals...

Liv2RideHard
12-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Probably Michelin Pro4 tires. Although I'm intrigued by Shamals...

That bike will need Veloflex man...only way to roll!

weisan
12-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Congratulations John-pal!

Santa came early this year.

pavel
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I need it like a hole in the head, but it's going to be fun. .

this is me every time i make another bike purchase. enjoy the new bike!

thirdgenbird
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
That bike will need Veloflex man...only way to roll!

Yep.

Record hubs, archetype hard ano rims, silver spokes, and 25mm veloflex masters would be my tops on my list if I were in the wheel market.

alessandro
12-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Next question: Osso buco--si o no?

Like Flash's bike here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1360213&postcount=48
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8915057668_7885ac2bc0_b.jpg

FlashUNC
12-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I hope my PMs tipped you over the edge.

And totally, other than being a pain to clean after a rainy/cruddy ride, the Ossobuco looks awesome.

And I will totally use this as a lame excuse to post my bike again.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/9531035639_0bd0fe42c6_b.jpg

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 04:11 PM
You definitely helped make the sale! That, and that blue, which is outstanding.

No ossobuco for me...going with some SP round chainstays to beef things up.

I hope my PMs tipped you over the edge.

And totally, other than being a pain to clean after a rainy/cruddy ride, the Ossobuco looks awesome.

And I will totally use this as a lame excuse to post my bike again.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/9531035639_0bd0fe42c6_b.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Given the amount of stress put on chainstays to transmit power to the rear end, I'm curious how drilling holes in the stays would affect their performance.

1) Is it a solid metal stay with the holes just drilled through it?

2) Or is it a standard hollow stay with the holes drilled, then the tubes individually welded into teach hole?

If it's #1 I would think it would be really heavy. If it's #2 I would think it would be a nightmare to construct and with all that welding the chances of having a defective spot in the weld would be increased--and wonder how any defective welds would compromise the structural integrity.

BBD

echelon_john
12-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Starts with a normal stay. The holes are drilled, then corresponding diameter tubes are silver brazed in and filed/sanded flush. So there's no excessive heating like you'd get from welding.

I'm not positive but I would think the pipe is about the same wall thickness as the tube. In theory it should make the tube stiffer, but, as Flash put it today, once it's built into a bike, it may or may not be noticeable.

Given the amount of stress put on chainstays to transmit power to the rear end, I'm curious how drilling holes in the stays would affect their performance.

1) Is it a solid metal stay with the holes just drilled through it?

2) Or is it a standard hollow stay with the holes drilled, then the tubes individually welded into teach hole?

If it's #1 I would think it would be really heavy. If it's #2 I would think it would be a nightmare to construct and with all that welding the chances of having a defective spot in the weld would be increased--and wonder how any defective welds would compromise the structural integrity.

BBD

bikingshearer
12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Excellent purchase. My (very) limited contacts with Roland Della Santa say he's a good guy, and the frames of his I've seen and the comments of their owners say he is a top-drawer builder. And with or without the white pnels, that blue is gorgeous. What's not to love?

As for needing it "like a hole in the head" - who cares? If you can pay for it without dipping into the bread and egg money, go for it and don't look back.

FlashUNC
12-04-2013, 06:19 PM
John nailed it. Everything is sleeved and silver brazed.

I figure if Roland's confident enough to sell it and it withstood testing from a local former Olympian he knows, its good enough for me. I'm sure if I had a problem he'd make it right.

Starts with a normal stay. The holes are drilled, then corresponding diameter tubes are silver brazed in and filed/sanded flush. So there's no excessive heating like you'd get from welding.

I'm not positive but I would think the pipe is about the same wall thickness as the tube. In theory it should make the tube stiffer, but, as Flash put it today, once it's built into a bike, it may or may not be noticeable.

alessandro
12-04-2013, 09:08 PM
No ossobuco for me...going with some SP round chainstays to beef things up.

Giovanni, Giovanni, Giovanni. It's your bike, and it will be a beautiful one.

Ma perche no?

Osso buco, the glorious Italian dish of fork-tender, marrow-filled veal shanks in a natural sauce, takes time but almost no attention...
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/recipe-of-the-day-osso-buco/

Look at those shanks... I mean chainstays... slow-braised... I mean fillet-brazed.

Buona fortuna Giovanni.

downtube
12-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I got my Della Santa this year and love it. It is a fantastic bike to ride. Enjoy your new build, it will be awesome!
chuck

bobswire
12-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Awesome! I was just talking about Roland today with Len from the Bike Nook in San Francisco on how much we like Rolands work. Len has a couple of his frames and both are beautiful. This was mine with a matching pump.

http://i42.tinypic.com/14kds9w.jpg

mhespenheide
12-05-2013, 12:55 AM
I only know the reputation, but they look like wonderful bikes.

I only have the tiniest nit to pick: a different font, please. Such a beautiful piece of work, I can't help but feel left down by the lettering...

Thankfully I'm too poor to stress about such things, but I've sometimes wondered if Della Santa or Rock Lobster would build me a frame and let me pick a different logo treatment.

Sorry; idle speculation. Let's get back to the good part: appreciating the hand-made soul of a bike!

echelon_john
12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Ha! Yeah, to me it's just part of what makes his bikes his. But I get what you're saying. For me, Primus Mootry is the best example of where I love their build philosophy and overall look, but HATE the logo enough that I'd never get one. Superficial? Yep. But it's all part of the package.

Giovanni, ossobuco? La vostra casa o la mia?

Ciao,
G

I only know the reputation, but they look like wonderful bikes.

I only have the tiniest nit to pick: a different font, please. Such a beautiful piece of work, I can't help but feel left down by the lettering...

Thankfully I'm too poor to stress about such things, but I've sometimes wondered if Della Santa or Rock Lobster would build me a frame and let me pick a different logo treatment.

Sorry; idle speculation. Let's get back to the good part: appreciating the hand-made soul of a bike!

echelon_john
12-05-2013, 07:28 AM
That's really pretty. I like the panel on the st with white ht and no dt panel...hmmmmmmm....

Awesome! I was just talking about Roland today with Len from the Bike Nook in San Francisco on how much we like Rolands work. Len has a couple of his frames and both are beautiful. This was mine with a matching pump.

http://i42.tinypic.com/14kds9w.jpg

FlashUNC
12-05-2013, 07:41 AM
There's a Flickr group in case you're looking for more inspiration. Lots of great examples of his work.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1283511@N20/pool

alessandro
12-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Giovanni, ossobuco? La vostra casa o la mia?

Ciao,
G

Well, since I've stirred this pot, I guess it should be a casa mia. When you get your new bella machina, and the snow melts. :beer:

tv_vt
12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Good choice! I thought of him when you mentioned the stripes (along with Spectrum as mentioned). Other than Serotta, who else earned stripes and uses them in their graphics.

Good call on the normal chainstays, too IMO. I don't get osso buco. WTH???

echelon_john
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
I think the Ossobucos are interesting, but they're not my thing. I think I'd like them more if they didn't say Ossobuco. Anyhoo, different strokes for different folks.

I'm starting the real fun...obsessing over parts! Going Campy for the first time in about 25 years, so there's some learning curve.

Good choice! I thought of him when you mentioned the stripes (along with Spectrum as mentioned). Other than Serotta, who else earned stripes and uses them in their graphics.

FlashUNC
12-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Roland says he was inspired by the slotted Masi stays from the 1970s, but wanted something that didn't break.

I think the Ossobucos are interesting, but they're not my thing. I think I'd like them more if they didn't say Ossobuco. Anyhoo, different strokes for different folks.

I'm starting the real fun...obsessing over parts! Going Campy for the first time in about 25 years, so there's some learning curve.

Go nuts, Campy 80th.

bikingshearer
12-05-2013, 03:41 PM
. . . . I only have the tiniest nit to pick: a different font, please. Such a beautiful piece of work, I can't help but feel left down by the lettering...

I, on the other hand, very much like the font and other graphics on Della Santas. I like the straight-forward, timeless look. Of course, my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it . . . . :p

I do agree with echelon_john that the graphics can make me absolutely not want a frame. I am not a racer; if I was, performance would be everything and I would be looking for the best-performing machine I could afford regardless of appearance (unless a sponsor wanted to set me up on their machine at no expense to me). But I don't race, and I ride purely for my own enjoyment. A significant part of the fun for me is how a bike looks. Yes, it has to fit and it has to feel good under me. But if it doesn't look right to me, I don't want it. It's my money being spent on my enjoyment of my leisure-time hobby. I can live with being superfical on this one. :)

echelon_john
12-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Hah! I looked at the Campy 80th stuff for a minute this morning, but then my little pea brain almost exploded thinking "But the cranks don't come in 180, so the right size ones wouldn't match, and if everything doesn't match, what's the point of spending the $$ on the 80th, etc. etc. etc."

It's a sickness. It really is.

Roland says he was inspired by the slotted Masi stays from the 1970s, but wanted something that didn't break.

Go nuts, Campy 80th.

FlashUNC
12-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Record then if you have to settle.

William
12-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Nice! Another Big Bad Bike on the way!!:cool:

William

echelon_john
12-05-2013, 04:26 PM
We all must compromise at times. ; )

Probably Chorus with Record cranks & shifters.

But we'll see...:banana:

Super Record then if you have to settle.

bobswire
12-05-2013, 05:56 PM
That's really pretty. I like the panel on the st with white ht and no dt panel...hmmmmmmm....

Here's a better view of it.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mcgc36.jpg

rphetteplace
12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Can't wait to see this bike. As a fellow Jolly Green, you just don't see that many monster lugged bikes!

mnoble485
12-06-2013, 10:10 AM
I know you just picked up a killer mountain bike from Toots. What else ya got hiding in the closet these days?

Mike

PS A della Santa should be killer!

echelon_john
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Just wanted to update this thread. I've had a couple of conversations with Roland, and the process has been a pleasure so far. Just got off the phone with him today; he's into the build, and hoping to have the frame out to paint by Friday of this week. So if you want a custom bike from one of the greats with a really short wait time, here's your chance!

He's using a mix of tubing, mostly to accommodate my size/height. It'll be 65cm c-c, and use some heavier tubing in places where it will help with durability/stiffness. I basically asked him to prioritize ride quality and stiffness over light weight, so he's run with that and is using some Reynolds (long seat tube), some Columbus (SP round chainstays and fork blades) and Dedacciai for the rest. Clearance for 28c tires, and front derailleur brazeon that will accommodate both 39/53 and 36/50 cranksets.

I've been accumulating parts for the build—Campy Chorus/Record mix—and will be building the wheels in the next couple of weeks—hard ano Archetypes on Campy Record. Progress on that front has been slowed somewhat by separating my AC joint (separated shoulder) in a ski crash a few weeks ago.

Anyhow, it looks like a January delivery is likely for a frame I first ordered in early December. So far, so good.

Cheers,
JC

FlashUNC
01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Just wanted to update this thread. I've had a couple of conversations with Roland, and the process has been a pleasure so far. Just got off the phone with him today; he's into the build, and hoping to have the frame out to paint by Friday of this week. So if you want a custom bike from one of the greats with a really short wait time, here's your chance!

He's using a mix of tubing, mostly to accommodate my size/height. It'll be 65cm c-c, and use some heavier tubing in places where it will help with durability/stiffness. I basically asked him to prioritize ride quality and stiffness over light weight, so he's run with that and is using some Reynolds (long seat tube), some Columbus (SP round chainstays and fork blades) and Dedacciai for the rest.

I've been accumulating parts for the build, and will be building the wheels in the next couple of weeks. Progress on that front has been slowed somewhat by separating my AC joint (separated shoulder) in a ski crash a few weeks ago.

Anyhow, it looks like a January delivery is likely for a frame I first ordered in early December. So far, so good.

Cheers,
JC

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003131955/3055356752_3omwlp_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

jmoore
01-06-2014, 05:09 PM
More large custom bikes = win.

Can't wait to see this one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

echelon_john
01-12-2014, 12:38 PM
I've been thinking blue this whole time, but this might fuel a change in direction. I like how crisp and modern it looks. The nice photography/lighting doesn't hurt, either...

bluesea
01-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Blue & white--the colors of the Ocean. :beer:

eippo1
01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Missed this earlier, so taking this opportunity to post up some more Roland love. Got this beauty from fuzzalow last Spring. Damn is it an awesome ride.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/eippo1/bikes/Della%20Santa/della1_zps1fcbe75a.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/eippo1/media/bikes/Della%20Santa/della1_zps1fcbe75a.jpg.html)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/eippo1/IMG_8475_ed_zps29592140.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/eippo1/media/IMG_8475_ed_zps29592140.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

echelon_john
02-05-2014, 07:24 PM
It's official—I'm Serial #1401. I'm no numerologist, but that sounds pretty auspicious.

Frame arrived at the painter last Tuesday; hoping to hear something (like "Your tracking number is...") in the next week or so.

fuzzalow
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Looking forward to seeing pics of frame # 1401.

There was a picture posted earlier of eippo1's Della Santa. And I wanted to post a photo of this same bike from almost 12 years ago. It was being built up as there are no brakes mounted yet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BCUL7jlaPeY/T2ORVnXFvzI/AAAAAAAAADg/hr02WLNDASo/s640/Della_Santa55STx56TT%2520008.jpg

I do not flip bikes, I had a fit & position change that made this Della Santa no longer work for me. I am glad it found a nice home and works for eippo1. To echelon_john; the bike you will soon receive will have all the mojo, capability and credibility you could possibly desire. Roland makes the best riding steel fork I have experienced.

FlashUNC
02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
If its anything like #1305, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the result.

jmoore
02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
The pics of the red bike are giving me a bit of red bike lust. Very clean and lovely

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

echelon_john
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
That's a beaut. Kind of has a "Neo Primato" feel with the red and the nice fork crown.

Exciting.

Looking forward to seeing pics of frame # 1401.

There was a picture posted earlier of eippo1's Della Santa. And I wanted to post a photo of this same bike from almost 12 years ago. It was being built up as there are no brakes mounted yet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BCUL7jlaPeY/T2ORVnXFvzI/AAAAAAAAADg/hr02WLNDASo/s640/Della_Santa55STx56TT%2520008.jpg

I do not flip bikes, I had a fit & position change that made this Della Santa no longer work for me. I am glad it found a nice home and works for eippo1. To echelon_john; the bike you will soon receive will have all the mojo, capability and credibility you could possibly desire. Roland makes the best riding steel fork I have experienced.

echelon_john
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Emailed with the painter (Jim Allen) yesterday. He emailed to confirm paint details. No pictures yet; these guys aren't the 'blog it while I build it' types. Part of me really wants to see some naked pics, but the other part is psyched for the "Christmas morning" effect when the box lands here.

Meanwhile, the snow keeps falling.

teleguy57
02-19-2014, 05:03 PM
I've been thinking blue this whole time, but this might fuel a change in direction. I like how crisp and modern it looks. The nice photography/lighting doesn't hurt, either...

I do love me some white bikes. I've always like DS bikes with panels; that would be a way for you to bring in some blue -- kinda like the custom paint (by Matt Assenmacher) on a former bike of mine:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ycoxBPGOFvI/UwU4AngEkQI/AAAAAAAAClE/Adf7COI9zGM/w958-h634-no/DSC_0066.JPG

echelon_john
02-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Got a nice email from Jim Allen with the before shot...won't be long now.

jmoore
02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Got a nice email from Jim Allen with the before shot...won't be long now.

Its big and a Della Santa. You better be there to meet the delivery guy or I'll steal that thing.

Going to be super great!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product. I assume they're painting the frame pump to match?

fuzzalow
02-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Gonna be great! You are most definitely one very tall rascal!

echelon_john
02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
yep!

Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product. I assume they're painting the frame pump to match?

echelon_john
03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
This message was sent to you at the request of Cyclesmith to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact Cyclesmith directly.

Important Delivery Information

Message from Cyclesmith:
65cm Della Santa Corsa Speciale

Scheduled Delivery: 19-March-2014

Shipment Detail

Ship To:
Echelon_John
Address Address Address
VT
US
Number of Packages: 1
UPS Service: GROUND

tv_vt
03-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Hey EJ, if western VT is as bad as eastern VT, you better start shoveling a path to your door so they can find you...

I'm thinking of calling Consumer Reports and offering my driveway for snowblower testing.

echelon_john
03-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Just finished the driveway. It actually wasn't THAT bad in terms of total quantity, but there was definitely a layering effect with some frozen sheets underneath. Had to clear it so Fedex could deliver some parts today! ; )

Hey EJ, if western VT is as bad as eastern VT, you better start shoveling a path to your door so they can find you...

I'm thinking of calling Consumer Reports and offering my driveway for snowblower testing.

eippo1
03-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Just finished the driveway. It actually wasn't THAT bad in terms of total quantity, but there was definitely a layering effect with some frozen sheets underneath. Had to clear it so Fedex could deliver some parts today! ; )

And then you get to do some more shoveling after today :rolleyes:
Can't wait to see the finished pics. Did you end up going with blue or white?

echelon_john
03-13-2014, 10:36 AM
you'll see! ; )

And then you get to do some more shoveling after today :rolleyes:
Can't wait to see the finished pics. Did you end up going with blue or white?

FlashUNC
03-13-2014, 11:08 AM
My money's on Della Santa blue. Mostly because my frame needs a northern cousin.

echelon_john
03-19-2014, 04:56 AM
Rutland, VT, United States 03/19/2014 5:32 A.M. Out For Delivery

echelon_john
03-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Okay. Unpacked it this afternoon. Started the build.

Before anybody says "TFIUWOP!" I'll put some up soon!

First, initial impressions:
- Beautifully made frame. Dead straight, or damn close (threw it on the surface plate), nicely thinned lugs, everything faced & chased well. Crown race was perfect, Campy seat binder fit great, no issues with any threads. As high a standard as any maker I'm familiar with.
- The paint is excellent, but not perfect. When I say this, I'm not complaining. There are one or two spots where I notice imperfections in the clear coat, and a couple of spots where engravings aren't QUITE filled perfectly with the contrasting color. It's 90% of a Joe Bell paint job, and helped keep the frameset price under $2k. Decals are perfect. It's a really nice paint job, just don't expect Joe Bell (and the extra $$$)
- Packing was excellent. It's a big frame (65cm) and came in the right box, well protected and wrapped.
- Roland listened to what I was asking for and delivered. I asked for the fork & bridges to allow for short reach brakes, maxed out in terms of reach to allow for largish tire clearance. He delivered. It will fit a 700x30 Eroica with room under the brakes. (Campy Chorus) Everything else we agreed on was delivered. (this should be a given, but it's not, IME)
- It looks hot.
- It makes me more attractive to the opposite sex.

More soon...
JC

FlashUNC
03-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Yer killin me.

metalheart
03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
My first bike was a Della Santa made Lemond in pearl white. I sold it not knowing what I had and s much as I love my Holland, I dream about that pearl white steel frame. The two NAHBS I have been to, I have talked to Rolland and one day ........ I look forward to seeing your build.

echelon_john
03-20-2014, 04:22 PM
So...it's built. Except for the wheels, which I'm waiting on spokes for.

I'll take some better pictures outside with a real camera when it's not THIRTY THREE DEGREES and SLEETING.

Looks pretty good for a freaky big bike, IMO.

pitcrew
03-20-2014, 04:52 PM
That white Turbo saddle is money....fantastic looking bike! Enjoy.

FlashUNC
03-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Freaking awesome. Well done.

bluesea
03-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Awesomeness!

teleguy57
03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
John, well-done sir! I absolutely love the paint (maybe that's because it looks a lot like the my old LeMond in post #56 on p4 in this thread:)) Also a big fan of white/white saddle and tape. The black components really set things off nicely.

Great to have the capacity for the Eroicas yet retain the road bike look. I wish you many, many wonderful miles on it!

rwsaunders
03-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice work EJ.

choke
03-20-2014, 06:28 PM
That's sweet. :beer:

mistermo
03-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Looks fantastic! In post #10, you indicated you were going to max out brake reach so that you could run larger tires. Have you figured out the max that will fit? BTW, the wheels look great too.

tele
03-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Looks good for mud season!

John, curious question; being a former builder, how did you find the experience or having someone else make your frame?

fuzzalow
03-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Congratulations on its arrival! That DS is a dandy.

echelon_john
03-21-2014, 06:59 AM
I still build! Just slowly and irregularly... ; ) (wait, that sounds like my riding, too...)

This process was awesome. With guys like Roland, they really just build one style of bike, so there weren't a whole lot of choices on my end. Which, in this case, was a good thing. We talked a couple of times, I told him what kind of riding I like to do, talked about concerns I had as a big dude around both durability and stiffness, and that was pretty much it. I gave him my contact points; really, he just asked for setback, seat tube length, and top tube length.

The only thing that was on my 'must have' list was tire clearance for large road tires, so I asked him to max out the brake reach on short reach brakes, which he did perfectly. I also wanted a front derailleur brazeon that would be positioned to accommodate both 53T and 50T chainrings for flexibility down the road.

Things that were great about the experience include:
- Relatively short wait; ~3 months from initial contact to frame on my doorstep
- Tons of value for the $$; Roland could charge more, IMO
- Great attention to detail from both Roland and the painter (Jim @ Cyclesmith) wrt small details I asked for
- Old school communication; letters in the mail with his sketch for the frame

If you want a builder who will blog about every step of the build and over communicate, Roland isn't the guy for you. So it's a little more of a leap of faith, because his process isn't as public/publicized. But he delivered on what he said, was extremely pleasant and easy to talk to on the phone, and picked up whenever I called. (probably 3-4 times throughout the process)

As far as having somebody else make my frame, I find it very relaxing! When I build, I stress/obsess over every little detail. Things that nobody else would notice bug me if I know there's an imperfection. With this frame, it's all pleasure. No stress! That's the biggest difference. Plus, it's a Della Santa! As far as I'm concerned, the guy has as much credibility as anyone currently building bike frames, and I'm thrilled and honored to have one of his bikes.

Looks good for mud season!

John, curious question; being a former builder, how did you find the experience or having someone else make your frame?

downtube
03-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Congratulations on your new DS, you picked a cool color combo. I put mine together last year and love it. It rides great and is extremely stable at high speeds. It is also very quiet. I know thats a weird adjective to use but it makes no noise. I plan to ride mine till I can't ride any longer.
Chuck

echelon_john
03-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Pictures!!!

Congratulations on your new DS, you picked a cool color combo. I put mine together last year and love it. It rides great and is extremely stable at high speeds. It is also very quiet. I know thats a weird adjective to use but it makes no noise. I plan to ride mine till I can't ride any longer.
Chuck

eippo1
03-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Yay pictures! Looks great. I love the blue panels with the stripes with the white. Looks so sublime. You must have some long legs with the slack in the seat tube and all that setback. Hope you're able to get out soon with the NE weather getting a bit better.

Now we just need some pics of the deets like the seat cluster and the fork crown. I also love the look of his headtube treatment with all the length in between the headset instead of tube sticking out above the top tube.

mhespenheide
03-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Such a sweet-looking bike, and I assume -- from Della Santa's reputation -- that it rides just as nicely.

(I wonder, [rhetorically, because I'm happy enough with my stock frames] if Della Santa would let me ask for a different font lettering. His frames, Curtlo, and Rock Lobster are the three builders I'd be most likely to commission, but I want different lettering from each of them...)

Roger M
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Looks pretty good for a freaky big bike, IMO.

Yeah, it looks great! It doesn't look 65cm, closer to a 63 or 64 maybe imo.

Nice choices on parts and colors. Well done

1X10
03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Really nice!!...I have never really had desire to own white, but that makes for a re-think...

Classic!!

downtube
03-22-2014, 12:47 PM
A quick pic before this mornings ride.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2874/13365129984_1928aa8e3a_c.jpg

tiretrax
03-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Those are all great looking bikes. The white with blue really jumps off the screen. The builder is a master - the bike doesn't look like it's huge, and it must be. If I ever get a steel bike made for me, he will be on the shortest list.

I suppose that if I owned one, I would only wear wool kit when I rode it. Garish lycra can't look good on that.