PDA

View Full Version : Riding with lights on dark trails

Puget Pounder
12-04-2013, 02:50 AM
For those of you guys who commute/ride at night on trails, how do you deal with lights and blinding other riders?

We all hate riding on a pitch black trail with someone blasting a super bright light in your face. I have had people shout that my lights were blinding to me as I passed them. I have also had people who like to make aggressive comments, in which I have the urge to turn around and punch them in the back of head, but I digress. I go through periods of feeling like a good person so I would point my light to the side or cover it as I get close to another rider, but it is very rare for the other person to do the same with their light. After a while I just ask, what's the point and just go back to not caring.

christian
12-04-2013, 04:58 AM
I cover my light with my hand. I mostly ride on roads at night and it seems like the courteous thig to do - especially as I have a magicshine with a wide, round beam pattern. It's usually safe to cover the light because you can use the oncoming car's headlights to illuminate your path.

On paths, you may not always be able to see if you cover the light. In that instance, I guess I'd live with it, or if possible nudge the light to the right side.

holliscx
12-04-2013, 05:30 AM
I ride with a helmet-mounted lamp and always look down or off to the side when passing other riders or folks walking. I plan to try a handlebar mount soon and will probably use my hand like Christian.

I have passed quite a few people walking dogs w/ no lights who grumble something about the obnoxious amount of light as I pass but these people are walking with no lights so there is quite a difference.

A polite wave or hello never hurts, but just dial your light down to low if you can and that's the best you can do.

Bradford
12-04-2013, 09:02 AM
How much light are you riding with?

I have a 350 lumen head light that I point down and it doesn't seem to bother anybody. I am thinking about throwing another 750 on the handlebars since my current commute is mostly on an unlit path along a river.

At what point does light get to be obnoxious?

redir
12-04-2013, 09:04 AM
I just point mine down and have never heard any complaints.

sg8357
12-04-2013, 09:20 AM
On trails, the helmet light (L&M 550) goes off and I ride with
the front light only, B&M Cyo Premium.

The Cyo light hits most people at waist level.

rice rocket
12-04-2013, 09:32 AM
I cover my light with my hand. I mostly ride on roads at night and it seems like the courteous thig to do - especially as I have a magicshine with a wide, round beam pattern. It's usually safe to cover the light because you can use the oncoming car's headlights to illuminate your path.

On paths, you may not always be able to see if you cover the light. In that instance, I guess I'd live with it, or if possible nudge the light to the right side.

I have a magicshine too, they make beam shaping lenses that replace the glass that help a lot. I don't get complaints anymore from cyclists or drivers. It also helps illuminate the road a lot better too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-Lens-4-MagicShine-Gemini-Lupine-Bike-Light-/271236305324

This guy has been selling for a couple years.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0105/2052/files/lens3.JPG?613

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0105/2052/files/lens4.JPG?613

sc53
12-04-2013, 09:32 AM
I was walking my dog last night with a Black Diamond headlamp on my head. I saw a bright light approaching and got my dog and me off to the side of the trail to let what I thought was a cyclist pass. It was a bike, he did pass, and cursed me LOUDLY for "pointing your @#$% light at me!" He actually put on his brakes like he wanted to turn around and fight!!
People are so angry, and so entitled. It infuriated me but I kept quiet and just resumed walking up the trail, shaking my head in disgust.

benb
12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
I think it's all bizarre and people who complain are just looking for trouble.

If they're on the road the cars are going to hit them with somewhere around 1500-2000 lumens with their low beams and they are not going to be able to go start a fight with a car driver because they think the cars should shut their lights off.

Aim the lights reasonably but if someone has a problem with you running a reasonable amount of light it seems like it's their problem. They probably need to learn to avert their eyes rather than target fixating on your light. I have a 600 lumen light I stick on my bars and a 250 for the helmet. I rarely use the helmet one commuting though.

A lot of these trails it is not necessarily safe to cover or turn off your light for someone elses convenience, nor should you have to slow down to 5mph to do so!

I use a bike trail for part of my commute as it's super direct.. seems like you only have these problems with people who spend all their time on trails!

umami
12-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I have had people complain about my headlight--usually other bikers. I have a 1200w light, and after a few complaints, I now ride with it set to 1/4 power in the city. I do my best to turn the light so the beam isn't hitting anyone head-on, but the contrast in the darkness of a bike trail is way worse than car headlights on a road.

Bike etiquette has a long way to go--there aren't many laws or even rules about light usage here in the states, other than simply being required to have them. In much of Europe, flashing lights are banned. I have become increasingly pushy with my riding partners about setting their lights to a non-blinking option--I find that both in a car and on a bike, an oncoming biker with a blinking headlight is both distracting and disorienting in a way that simply being bright is not.

In general, I prefer not to be the loudest, brightest thing on the road--sure, safety is good, but not at the expense of everyone else's safety or comfort. That threshold is highly debatable, but when I see an oncoming pedestrian or cyclist put their hand up to shield their eyes from my light, I usually try to do something about it if I can do it safely.

DoubleButted
12-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I have a helmet mounted L&M which has a nice beam pattern. Usually ride on one-way or deserted trails, so don't get any complaints there. If I do run into someone, I can just look to the side and down. On city streets, I often aim it directly into the cars entering intersections from perpendicular streets. It might piss them off, but they know I'm there.....

zap
12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
I think it's all bizarre and people who complain are just looking for trouble.

If they're on the road the cars are going to hit them with somewhere around 1500-2000 lumens with their low beams and they are not going to be able to go start a fight with a car driver because they think the cars should shut their lights off.

Bizarre?

I can look at automobile lights (which are diffused properly and of course regulated) when they are on low but I tell you what, some of these led lights that some cyclists and pedestrians have are too damn bright.

I'm sorry, but I don't want my retinas burned so I can't see for 3-4 seconds. I won't complain..I will just take that damn super bright light.

Puget Pounder
12-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I ride through the Burke Gilman, which is pitch black in some spots. My light is about 350 lumens and I keep it on high most of the time. I try my best to cover the light or point it to the side, but I'd say only about 1/5 people will do the same for me (on a good day). It just makes me crabby.

Louis
12-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Do any of the lights have a simple "one push" dimming feature, where you press a button and the light goes down to say, 25% of it's usual level for about 5-10 seconds, then automatically goes back to the previous level?

Might be a nice option, if they don't.

rice rocket
12-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Do any of the lights have a simple "one push" dimming feature, where you press a button and the light goes down to say, 25% of it's usual level for about 5-10 seconds, then automatically goes back to the previous level?

Might be a nice option, if they don't.

Lezynes have "RACE MODE". It takes out the 3 of the 5 modes so you're only left w/ the lowest and highest.

carpediemracing
12-05-2013, 04:52 AM
It's all about being civil and not psychopathic (i.e. not caring about the other person one iota). 2% of the population are psychopathic, at least based on what I read, so I expect, for example, one out of every 50 drivers, riders, shoppers in a store, etc, to give not one flying eff for me or anything to do with me. If the careless/selfish ratio is in that range then things are normal. If not then it's not.

On being civil - just the impression of trying is enough for most people. Slightly shading the top of the light can keep light on the trail while making it slightly less intense on the other party. If a helmet light then look up a bit more, or to the side.

As far as brightness goes, let's be totally honest. A light that is aimed at eye level is extremely bright, much more so than an identical light that is not. That is why a misaligned low beam light can be just as blinding (or even more so) as a more powerful high beam light. Bike lights are among the brightest out there due to the strength and direction of aim. The only thing worse are (some) motorcycles and SUV/pickups pulling heavy trailers - they have more powerful lights aimed at eye level.

I haven't ridden at night in a few years but I regularly used only one real light at the time, on my helmet. I had it pointing up a bit, sort of like my helmet cam, so that in my normal slightly-head-down riding position it would be pointing at the ground maybe 40-50 feet in front of me. This meant that if my head were level the headlight would be illuminating trees and low flying planes. If I saw a car or other road user that looked like they weren't paying attention I'd aim the beam at them. When I looked back because I heard a car coming I'd look a few times, to get the "what's that light" reaction (I had a blinky as well as down low glows so it wasn't like I wasn't lit up otherwise). My goal with the helmet light was to use it actively to attract the attention of distracted drivers but also have it such that I didn't blind everyone else.

I read an interesting little story/anecdote. I think this applies to being polite with lights.
"Mommy, why do you always put your shopping cart where it belongs and other people don't?"
"Because there are two types of people - those that do and those that don't. We're one of the ones that do."
Do what's right and that's all you can do.

christian
12-05-2013, 04:58 AM
I have a magicshine too, they make beam shaping lenses that replace the glass that help a lot. I don't get complaints anymore from cyclists or drivers. It also helps illuminate the road a lot better too.

Have you used this on singletrack? Most of my night riding is on the mtb, so I ride road 8 miles r/t to the local mtb park and then ride there. Would the wider lens work well on singletrack too in your opinion?

rice rocket
12-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Have you used this on singletrack? Most of my night riding is on the mtb, so I ride road 8 miles r/t to the local mtb park and then ride there. Would the wider lens work well on singletrack too in your opinion?

Yeah, it actually works really well, lets you see a little more when you have your bars turned. I actually run two lights for singletrack, the brighter, wider Magicshine on the bars, and a dimmer, but more focused one on the helmet.

I had it the brighter one on my helmet initially, but a friend of mine suggested I switch them because you want the light on your bars casting shadows so you can judge the terrain better.

benb
12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Bizarre?

I can look at automobile lights (which are diffused properly and of course regulated) when they are on low but I tell you what, some of these led lights that some cyclists and pedestrians have are too damn bright.

I'm sorry, but I don't want my retinas burned so I can't see for 3-4 seconds. I won't complain..I will just take that damn super bright light.

Bizarre because the majority of us are not bothered at all. It is not hard to avert your eyes from an oncoming light and keep your vehicle in control. You have to do it driving a car or motorcycle too and you don't go flying into a rage when that happens.

It seems like certain people just think they own the trail, they see that oncoming light and want to stare right at it and get madder and madder.

The few people I've had yell at me (very few) had very bright lights aimed up of their own and did nothing to turn down their lights. I avert my eyes, for some reason they are getting road rage and I'm not.

christian
12-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, it actually works really well, lets you see a little more when you have your bars turned. I actually run two lights for singletrack, the brighter, wider Magicshine on the bars, and a dimmer, but more focused one on the helmet.

I had it the brighter one on my helmet initially, but a friend of mine suggested I switch them because you want the light on your bars casting shadows so you can judge the terrain better.

Sweet. Thanks. I'm running a Magicshine on my bars and an L&M Urban 300 on my lid. I'll order one of those lenses.

(BTW, on the back it's a Cherrybomb blinkie on the helmet, SOLAS blinkie on the suck sack, and Dinotte 300R on the seatpost. "Merry Christmas!" in other words.)

josephr
12-05-2013, 09:53 AM
ya'll obviously haven't seen this yet...

http://singletrackworld.com/2013/12/absolutely-mental-6000-lumen-trail-led-halo/

the MTBR article says they measure 5350 lumens. I only ride road at night with groups and my niterider 700 is plenty for that. Not brave enough to ride singletrack at night. But with this, I'm sure there'd be some po'd fellow riders, though if I was with a group, I'd be riding up front...all the time.
Joe

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2013, 11:22 AM
. . . on their instructions to tell owners not to ride on the street--trail use only--you just know some asshats are going to rock these on pavement or MUT's and give us an even worse name than we have now. FIFTY-THREE HUNDRED lumens?!?! Why? . . .

I have a NR Lumina 600 and it works great for any application I have used it for. There's no way I can outride the light unless I'm going 40+ mph, which I'm not going to do in the dark anyway.

If I approach somebody I just put my hand partly over it to block enough to make it manageable for them.

No matter what kind of equipment you're running, it's always more about common courtesy and the Golden Rule than anything else . . . and those things seem to get noticeably rarer as each year passes in 21st century America.

BBD

ya'll obviously haven't seen this yet...

http://singletrackworld.com/2013/12/absolutely-mental-6000-lumen-trail-led-halo/

the MTBR article says they measure 5350 lumens. I only ride road at night with groups and my niterider 700 is plenty for that. Not brave enough to ride singletrack at night. But with this, I'm sure there'd be some po'd fellow riders, though if I was with a group, I'd be riding up front...all the time.
Joe

cachagua
12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
. . . FIFTY-THREE HUNDRED lumens?!?!

I didn't know they made penises that small.

benb
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Yah but the guy who buys that 5300 lumen light, he must have a huge battery!

josephr
12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
If I approach somebody I just put my hand partly over it to block enough to make it manageable for them.

if they're not microwaved first.
Joe

umami
12-05-2013, 02:42 PM
The Burke is some kind of carefully engineered study in sociodynamics, I swear. It is the epicenter of asshattery, bad behavior, bizarre human interactions, and the randomest of random dubya tee eff occasions. I have nearly been rear ended by a speeding cyclist drafting me like we were on a tandem through a crowded section in Fremont. I've had racial epithets hurled at me by a woman using nothing but her middle finger as a means to obstruct oncoming traffic. I've dodged dogs, kids, cars, runners wearing black with no lights or reflectors in the middle of the night, watched pedestrians with headphones meander across the full width of the trail, both bike and walking lanes. I had a cyclist take to the grass to pass me rather than ring his bell or call out to alert me he was coming. I have seen cyclists try to pass other traffic with blind disregard for anyone else on the trail, causing pedestrians to jump out of their skin in surprise. It is the superhighway of dumb.

I try not to take anything that happens on the Burke Gilman personally. Cover your light, turn it down, do your best to do what you feel is right and let the rest roll off your back like the rain.

zap
12-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Bizarre because the majority of us are not bothered at all. It is not hard to avert your eyes from an oncoming light and keep your vehicle in control. You have to do it driving a car or motorcycle too and you don't go flying into a rage when that happens.

There is a failure of sorts here.

I'm not posting about riding on muts (I hardly ever ride on paths and never at night) but driving or walking in the 'hood.

I repeat, automobiles are not a problem nor are motorcycles.

There are a few (not many…yet!) bright led lights out there. Something I noticed just this year. Cyclists and pedestrian and motorists are bothered with these "super" bright lights.

You know, there are times when it's bloody hard to avert your eyes in time when some idiot is walking around and all of a sudden points their super bright led torch right at you.

Sorry, I don't have a crystal ball that warns me in advance.

Oh, was in a lbs the other week…..overheard a cyclist (of sorts, some disheveled character) who wanted the brightest light possible and he told the sales clerk he could give a rats azz if he blinded motorists.

Nice.

Coluber42
12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Once or twice a week my commute takes me on a bike path for a few miles, which is dark this time of year. It's a pretty heavily-used commuter route for cyclists, and a lot of the people I see riding the other direction cover or partially cover their headlights with their hand until I pass. (Although often they move their hand away just a split second too soon, which means I suddenly get flashed with their headlight at the moment of closest approach)

What really drives me nuts though, and what I am really mystified by, is the number of people who ride there with flashing headlights. They have these really bright, fairly fast flashing lights that are really annoying even from a long way away. I can understand that on a bright city street, they figure they want to get drivers' attention (although even there I'd debate the flashing headlight thing). But this isn't a bright city street. It's a bike path with no cars, and it is pitch dark. How does it not drive them absolutely nuts to ride with those !@#$-ing flashing strobe lights? Do they just like Disco that much? It's certainly not ideal for seeing where you're going, or seeing the pedestrians in dark clothing who seem to appear out of nowhere even with a good steady light.
Who is telling them this is a good idea???

Louis
12-05-2013, 10:31 PM
How does it not drive them absolutely nuts to ride with those !@#$-ing flashing strobe lights?

I've wondered the same thing myself. It would drive me bananas.

rcnute
12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I mount lights front at the fork crown, mid-fork or at the dropout. Never got any complaints and lights up the road/trail fine.

Ryan

For those of you guys who commute/ride at night on trails, how do you deal with lights and blinding other riders?

We all hate riding on a pitch black trail with someone blasting a super bright light in your face. I have had people shout that my lights were blinding to me as I passed them. I have also had people who like to make aggressive comments, in which I have the urge to turn around and punch them in the back of head, but I digress. I go through periods of feeling like a good person so I would point my light to the side or cover it as I get close to another rider, but it is very rare for the other person to do the same with their light. After a while I just ask, what's the point and just go back to not caring.

Puget Pounder
12-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I've seen plenty of fork mounted lights that are blinding. Especially if you are coming up a slight incline on the Burke and the other person is going down. They can actually be more annoying as it is more difficult to turn them off.

I have mounted lights on my fork before, but my newest and best one can't mount there.