PDA

View Full Version : Richie Porte

BumbleBeeDave
12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I was wondering when we'd see this . . .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-i-need-to-ride-in-a-team-where-ill-be-the-leader

At this year's Tour it seems like he paced Froome up many of the big climbs, totally blew himself up and disappeared--then was back up at the front five minutes later. The guy was amazing.

Wonder where he will end up?

BBD

fa63
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I would say Orica-Green Edge would be a logical choice.

tiretrax
12-03-2013, 01:55 PM
I was expecting to read that he tested + for some banned substance. I guess being captain of the Giro team isn't good enough. There's lots of talent on Team Sky. I guess not enough air space for all the egos.

bobswire
12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Tinkoff Saxo?

FlashUNC
12-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Has to be GreenEdge I'd think.

MattTuck
12-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Grow a set and attack your team leader in the mountains. Like Lemond and Hinnault. It would be epic. Rapha would love it.

Idris Icabod
12-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Isn't Sky (the broadcaster) owned by Rupert Murdoch, an Australian? Perhaps Sky can just change it's nationality based on their best shot in the Tour.

His contract runs through 2015, given the way teams are folding it is probably too early to speculate where he will end up.

CunegoFan
12-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Tinkoff Saxo?

No marginal gains on Saxo. Look at what happened to his fellow Australian, Mick Rogers. Mick was killing it on Team Sky, went to Saxo, and reverted to his old self, like a carriage turning back into a pumpkin at midnight.

MattTuck
12-03-2013, 03:14 PM
No marginal gains on Saxo. Look at what happened to his fellow Australian, Mick Rogers. Mick was killing it on Team Sky, went to Saxo, and reverted to his old self, like a carriage turning back into a pumpkin at midnight.

marginal gains. wink wink. nudge nudge. ouch, something just poked me!

jpw
12-03-2013, 03:37 PM
it's the off season. magazines have nothing much to write about. Agents know this. they throw them a few sardines that will get coverage.

CunegoFan
12-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Actually, David Walsh explained it all in his new Team Sky hagiography--err, I mean book researched with the highest of journalistic integrity. You see, Team Sky's success is due to its riders riding two more hours in training than riders on other teams. Apparently no one in the one hundred and fifty year history of competitive cycling ever thought of this before.

goonster
12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Actually, David Walsh explained it all in his new Team Sky hagiography--err, I mean book researched with the highest of journalistic integrity.

Oy vey. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/interview-david-walsh-on-inside-team-sky)

"the people who are the pillars of the management, people like Brailsford, Tim Kerrison, Rod Ellingworth, the lead doctor Alan Farrell and the lead carer Mario Pafundi, they’re just not those kind of people. They’re not the kind of people who would be duplicitous in that way."

bobswire
12-04-2013, 10:54 AM

That's why I suggested Tinkoff. :cool: They saw how he (Porte) rode and will need someone to replace Berto since Berto is but a shadow of his former self.
AND have the $$$ to buy talent.

CunegoFan
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Oy vey. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/interview-david-walsh-on-inside-team-sky)

"the people who are the pillars of the management, people like Brailsford, Tim Kerrison, Rod Ellingworth, the lead doctor Alan Farrell and the lead carer Mario Pafundi, they’re just not those kind of people. They’re not the kind of people who would be duplicitous in that way."

The funniest thing about that interview is the outrageous slur against Jeebus' own food, Nutella. It is even funnier now that people are posting pictures of Team Sky's service course's stash of Nutella, and the team's chef has posted pictures of food made with Nutella.

That interview was rather disgraceful. I guess Walsh did not get the message that good guys like Hamilton dope as well as bad guys like Armstrong.

#campyuserftw
12-04-2013, 07:21 PM
At this year's Tour it seems like he paced Froome up many of the big climbs, totally blew himself up and disappeared--then was back up at the front five minutes later. The guy was amazing.

Wonder where he will end up?

BBD

My first thought when I saw the thread was, Porte was found using PEDS. Did he pull Froome with pure, clean effort? Or through micro-dosing EPO for the Grand Tours? All it takes for Porte to move down the hill is a dope scare via Spanish beef or Meeker Supplements.

He thinks he's a Grand Tour contender :confused:

Grand Tours overall classification results timeline:

Grand Tour 2010 2011 2012 2013
Pink jersey Giro 7 81 — —
Yellow jersey Tour – 72 89 19
red jersey Vuelta — — 68 —

Other major stage races:

Race 2010 2011 2012 2013
Paris–Nice DNF 22 68 1
Tour of the Basque Country – 127 – 2
Volta a Agave – – 1 –
Tour de Romandie 10 121 4 8
Critérium du Dauphiné – – 9 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Porte

cfox
12-05-2013, 04:29 AM
There are graveyards full of super-domestiques who have won one-weekers and think they can win Gts...and then don't. A three week tour is a whole different universe, with the pressure cooker of being team leader added to the obvious physiological stuff. But, hey, you'll never know unless you try, so I certainly can't blame Porte for wanting to give it a go. If he can sign a big contract to lead a GT, more power to him.

jlwdm
12-05-2013, 07:24 AM
+1

Jeff