PDA

View Full Version : Buy new just for the parts.

Lanterne Rouge
12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Is is worth buying a bike on closeout for the build kit alone?

Take this for example from Competative Cyclist:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/orbea-aqua-tpx-complete-bike-2012?ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6OjE6NDpjY0NhdDEwMDE3MQ

That is a reasonable spec and there is no way you could buy the equal kit as seperate items.

In my head that build kit + the good bones of this Torelli for example (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=140376&highlight=Torelli) and you have a very respectable bike for less than $1,250.00

I can't be the only person who has thought that it's a good idea?

Vinci
12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
I have considered this many times with Bikes Direct bikes. I've never gotten myself convinced enough to do it, though.

josephr
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
I have considered this many times with Bikes Direct bikes. I've never gotten myself convinced enough to do it, though.

+1 --- hard to convince myself that its worth the hassle of having to resell the frame and also stuck with other entry level parts you can only give away to the co-op-- eg: stem, handlebars. If really considering, might want to look at REI closeouts as well and try and get a middle sized frame, easier to offload than a 48 or 63.
Joe

FlashUNC
12-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I've had a couple buddies do that with the BikesDirect route. To the point that even just selling the frame for $50 or so on Craigslist you come out ahead.

Should totally give it a whirl.

Mr Cabletwitch
12-03-2013, 01:48 PM
I would rather just purchased used parts from here to build up a frame than deal with switching parts and trying to get rid of what you don't need. Not to mention Sram Apex isn't that great from my experience.

tiretrax
12-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I have a new, take off Rival group you could buy without all the dain bramage from trying to sell the low value wheelset and cockpit.

Lanterne Rouge
12-03-2013, 02:22 PM
But the principle is solid and it goes for higher specification gear also.

Take this for example if you wanted a tourer or gravel blaster:

http://www.nycewheels.com/dahon-folding-bike-tournado.html

And surely you'd be able to flip that frame - I mean it's basically a Richey Breakaway.

And if you wanted to complicate your life by adding an electrical element for a mechnical component there is this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridley-fenix-shimano-ultegra-di2-complete-bike-2013?ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6OjI6MTU6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNzE

Just sayin I just think there is opportunity as the big companies clear inventory

AngryScientist
12-03-2013, 02:28 PM
i bet most of us have considered doing something like this in the past, i know i have. if you have the time, patience and the space, combined with the need for the parts, why not?

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Funny, stock says a 54, but the geo sheet has no 54, only a 53 and a 55.

Take this for example from Competative Cyclist:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/orbea-aqua-tpx-complete-bike-2012?ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6OjE6NDpjY0NhdDEwMDE3MQ

That is a reasonable spec and there is no way you could buy the equal kit as seperate items.

In my head that build kit + the good bones of this Torelli for example (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=140376&highlight=Torelli) and you have a very respectable bike for less than $1,250.00

I can't be the only person who has thought that it's a good idea?

Lanterne Rouge
12-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Funny, stock says a 54, but the geo sheet has no 54, only a 53 and a 55.

That's a good spot.

josephr
12-03-2013, 03:24 PM
But the principle is solid and it goes for higher specification gear also.

Just sayin I just think there is opportunity as the big companies clear inventory

I knew a chick who took the whole buy low/sell high thing to an extreme...she bought 12 packs of Coke and Diet Coke on sale at CVS and had a soda machine on her front porch. Was buying around 33 cents a can and selling to the neighborhood kids at 75 cents a can. But she'd only buy the sodas when they were on sale, so the machine might end up empty a few weeks. Think she said made $20 a month. Of course, this was before gas, power for the drink machine, and that she'd paid $500 for the drink machine. She was quite adamant her enterprise was profitable.

I don't disagree that it could be profitable...but margins are relative.
Joe

Louis
12-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Whenever this sort of component (or whatever) arbitrage opportunity exists it means there's something out of whack with the system. In this case it probably means that the retail prices for components are being manipulated by someone out there.

jmoore
12-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Sure. if you want to go through the hassel of stripping, reinstalling and reselling the unused parts and frame.

Steve in SLO
12-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I did it once with a Bikesdirect.com Alu Bottechia with full Campy 10 Record for $1680 (which was the going rate for Record 10 then, IRRC). It took me all of an hour to swap the parts to a new frame and I had a frame/fork, seatpost, stem, h'bars and wheels to get of or reuse. I think I cleared nearly $500 with little hassle.

Lanterne Rouge
12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't disagree that it could be profitable...but margins are relative.
Joe

Sorry I didn't mean for it to be a protitiable endeavour just a more economic way to build up a bike - a fairly decent one at that. Even it you don't sell what you don't want/need it could still be cheaper to buy a whole bike.

Lanterne Rouge
12-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Sure. if you want to go through the hassel of stripping, reinstalling

The cold NE winters are here and I do like a project.

and reselling the unused parts and frame.

Agreed but donating unwanted bits to the local bike charity shop will give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside and it's tax deductable.

aramis
12-03-2013, 04:24 PM
I bought my BMC DI2 ultegra bike (full group including brakes/crank) for $2500 from competitive. This was about a year ago when 11 speed had just come out and DI2 10 speed was pretty expensive.

It came with Mavic Elites that I sold for $500, since I use a powertap anyway. Even came with a nice fizik saddle I got another $50 or so for. When I get another bike, there's no way I'm building it up.

Problem with most of the cheap bikes is the wheels/saddle/crank/brakes are throwaways and aren't worth selling. If it's a more expensive bike on clearance the parts are worth a lot though.

I kind of want a supersix evo and I can get a red model on clearance for $2500 or a frameset for about the same price..? Framesets seem like a terrible deal and the markup on components/groupsets is nuts.

jmoore
12-03-2013, 04:53 PM
The cold NE winters are here and I do like a project.

Agreed but donating unwanted bits to the local bike charity shop will give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside and it's tax deductable.

Sounds like a no brainer to me then.

Heck, depending on the saddle that comes with it, I might take it off your hands.

fogrider
12-03-2013, 09:33 PM
the only caution I would have has to do with all the misc parts; first on OEM bikes of that level (most levels), they cut corners on things like headset, bb and such. notice that the brakes, handlebar and stem are orbea's own brand. and the seatpost is orbea's brand also but its carbon. also I'm not sure about the white parts...but thats just me. it looks like for around 400 bucks ribble cycles has the 105 group...I would say the 105 group is a step up from apex.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2013, 08:52 AM
I did it once with a Bikesdirect.com Alu Bottechia with full Campy 10 Record for $1680 (which was the going rate for Record 10 then, IRRC). It took me all of an hour to swap the parts to a new frame and I had a frame/fork, seatpost, stem, h'bars and wheels to get of or reuse. I think I cleared nearly $500 with little hassle.

Worth it for Record, not for apex, anyway, I keep the F/F and sell the sram 'stuff'.