PDA

View Full Version : Wider is better

professerr
12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Wider tubing, wider tires, wider rims (who saw that coming?), and, now, wider saddles.

Despite the fact that I have a 30 inch waist and the build of a 9 year old girl, it appears my sit bones are rather wide. I’ve gone from a 130 Toupe, to a 143 Romin, to a 155 Romin. And despite the fact that a 155 saddle looks like it belongs on a rental cruiser in Waikiki, I dig it.

Each saddle switch has necessitated small setback and saddle height adjustments, but the end result on a 155 is I have a really broad sweet spot where I can sit perched on my sit bones just right in just about any riding position.

If you haven’t tried a wider saddle, give it a go I say. The sit bone measuring pad that Specialized dealers use to determine your optimum saddle width was accurately predictive in my case, fwiw.

Charles M
12-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Really kinda presumptuous...

Sounds like you found the right saddle but sit bones and tilt are like finger prints. What you're suggesting is kinda like the whole "your stem is too short" thing that was flying round regardless of frame size and fit to begin with...

A good example is that I just went narrower and found that a bit more shape and a narrower saddle were a better fit after a decade of using wider/flatter saddles.

ultraman6970
12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
If it was better my wide ass would had beaten the hour record long time ago :p

tiretrax
12-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Sounds like you found the right saddle but sit bones and tilt are like finger prints. What you're suggesting is kinda like the whole "your stem is too short" thing that was flying round regardless of frame size and fit to begin with...

A good example is that I just went narrower and found that a bit more shape and a narrower saddle were a better fit after a decade of using wider/flatter saddles.

I have a similar situation. The Aliante is much more comfortable than the Arione - the Fizik chameleon/bull thing is just that - bull****. The shape is more comfortable for me, but I am as flexible, if not more, than anyone riding an Arione.

Bkat
12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I have both saddles and can't say I like one better. Just different. I like to think the animal thing makes them like Garanimals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXceQWHxcpo) from the 70s.

I have a similar situation. The Aliante is much more comfortable than the Arione - the Fizik chameleon/bull thing is just that - bull****. The shape is more comfortable for me, but I am as flexible, if not more, than anyone riding an Arione.

54ny77
12-03-2013, 02:17 PM
wide guys get all the cute babes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5IpYAbQ3Vqw/T0-KqF3FXAI/AAAAAAAACKQ/JNCr6QzsfPY/s320/Fat_Guy_Having_Trouble_At_The_Beach1.jpg

professerr
12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

I guess I just sayin that if you're skinny and narrow like me, don't presume a wide saddle won't fit you best. It might!

But yeah, of course wider isn't better for everyone.