PDA

View Full Version : Single speed 29er

LegendRider
12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm on the fence about getting this bike (used from a local Craigslist seller). It looks like fun and I have a geared Specialized 29er so I know it will fit. But, I'm not sure that I can justify a second mountain bike. Does the experience of riding a rigid, single speed differ so much from a suspended, geared bike that I would likely enjoy have two bikes?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/crave/crave-sl-29

Mr Cabletwitch
12-03-2013, 10:16 AM
If you ride offroad more than once a week I would say yes, you would enjoy having a Single Speed. Its nice when you want to go out for a quick ride and think about nothing on the bike and just pedal. No gears to change, no shocks to lock out, nothing just pedal.

Schmed
12-03-2013, 10:31 AM
My answer is "yes".

I had been riding my 26" / FS / Very light and expensive mountain bike for years and loved every minute of it.

Then, my buddy said I should buy a SS 29er. Found a rigid one on Craigslist, and starting riding it. Since then (2 years ago), I think I rode my f/s bike twice. Love the single speed, but can't really explain why. It's hard. It'll make you cry, but it's just fun.

DonH
12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm on the fence about getting this bike (used from a local Craigslist seller). It looks like fun and I have a geared Specialized 29er so I know it will fit. But, I'm not sure that I can justify a second mountain bike. Does the experience of riding a rigid, single speed differ so much from a suspended, geared bike that I would likely enjoy have two bikes?

My advice is to try it if its not a strain on your finances. I was in the same situation a few months ago - After 2 years of riding full suspension with 20 speeds exclusively its a new experience, and has made me a stronger and more agressive rider IMO. Plus its fun!
I liked single speed so much that I bought a 2014 Stumpjumper Singlespeed a few weeks ago and am converting my geared IF to singlespeed.
If the deal doesnt work out, I may be sellling my Crave SL in the next few weeks.

crownjewelwl
12-03-2013, 10:47 AM
really depends on where you ride...

i started out with ss and quickly converted to 1x10

it was fun, but i simply didn't have the fitness to crush the hills in my neck of the woods

SpeedyChix
12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
I did a trial before jumping in with a real SS frame. Simply rode my geared bike w/o shifting. Made some of the trails I ride regularly a nice new challenge. Not the bike for all the riding I do but nice way to mix things up. If you have $ in the bike fund, go for it. You could always sell it if you just don't use it. Disclaimer: I started to ride mountain bikes when full rigid was the only choice. Hadn't given SS a serious try until last year. It can be fun and there's a good chance you'll end up a better (line choice) and stronger rider

bluesea
12-03-2013, 11:23 AM

The simplicity and quietness is addicting, but its still 50/50 you'll adapt to SS. Great bike at a good price point to find out.

rice rocket
12-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I've never ridden anything but singlespeed for MTBs.

I can't imagine having to think about shifting when the terrain gets wild and you're loopy from being hypoxic.

Spaceman Spiff
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Does the experience of riding a rigid, single speed differ so much from a suspended, geared bike that I would likely enjoy have two bikes?

Yes!

I used to have a geared, suspended mountain bike and a rigid singlespeed. For riding my local trails, I nearly always reached for the SS. So, I sold the geared bike and bought a nice suspension fork to throw on when I want to go fast. (I also have a rear shifter/derailleur/dropout with hanger at the ready, so I can go 1x9, if I feel so compelled.) That was two years ago.

I ride the SS so often now, it's started to influence all my riding. I stand and hammer on my road bike much more often than I should. I have one riding buddy that likes to remind me that I can downshift when it gets steep.

Charles M
12-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Nope...

No gear ratios on an MTB amounts to joint stress for the sake of novelty...

Over the past several years I think I know 2 people out of probably 20+ that stayed with single speed.

Mr Cabletwitch
12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Nope...

Over the past several years I think I know 2 people out of probably 20+ that stayed with single speed.

I have to agree with this guy. Kinda. I had Single Speed rigid bikes for 3 years and have since gotten rid of them in favor of having one full suspension geared kick a$$ XC racer bike.

I had a lot of fun on a SS and I would recommend for people to give it a try however for me it wasn't a long term thing kinda got old after a while. Its still fun and if I could afford to have more bikes I would probably have one, but I think most people that go full time SS end up back to gears eventually. Most but not all.

davidb
12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
For me in Ohio it is great. It taught me how to ride so much better. From a maintenance point of view things go way down. I ride rigid steel. My only concerns are if you ride with people who climb slow or your riding has a lot of long climbs and then long descents. Lower level parts will still build a fairly light very durable bicycle. Take the drivetrain savings and by a second set of tires.

William
12-03-2013, 02:16 PM
SS is the way I was heading. I've been running my 29'er as a 1x9 for a while now. Frankly I use it more as a 1x3, even with the trail climbs around here. Running a SS isn't much of a jump for me so I'm in the process of building one up.

William

rice rocket
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Nope...

Let me live in my ignorance!!!!

I have a SS specific rear hub, I might go 1x6 later on so I don't have to rebuild wheels.

JWDR
12-03-2013, 08:31 PM
If the price is right I would go for it. I bought my GF Rig for $400 off Craigslist. It now has a fork on it that cost me more than I paid for the bike. I have had a single speed bicycle since 1999. I currently have a 1x10 and a single speed MTB and go through phases of which one gets ridden.

A1CKot
12-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I would get it if you find your trails boring. I had my 29er set up SS rigid when I was living in North Dakota because I wanted more of a challenge on out local trails. Now that my location has changed and the trails are much more difficult I am looking at a FS bike in the near future. If your current riding is difficult with your current geared bike I would stay away from SS. Hope that helps.

bshell
12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
It makes for a different riding experience.

We're having single speed fun in the mountains of CA while others are having it in desert areas.

It will take some getting used to. The flats will feel semi ridiculous at least until you are warmed up. Some climbs will require full torque bursts.

There is no reason at all for this to 'hurt your joints'... Do you ever stand on your other bikes???

You'll either be able to climb it or you'll have to walk it, and there's no shame in that.

For those w/mtb frames gathering dust that are curious to try it there is the very effective "Soulcraft Convert" kit.

Netdewt
12-04-2013, 10:45 AM
I have a cousin who rides a SS 29er (Surly Karate Monkey) everyday to work through the woods, in Duluth, MN, which is built on a huge hill. He swears by it.

A SS 29er is on my list. I'd like one as my only MTB.

don'TreadOnMe
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM
29 ss is a fantastic thing, and is truly whole-body exercise.

I can't believe this is still around!:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=140188

:-)

bluesea
12-04-2013, 11:56 AM
^ Seriously!, although I'm actually dreaming of an all Carbon Stumpjumper SS.

Spaceman Spiff
12-04-2013, 12:26 PM
29 ss is a fantastic thing, and is truly whole-body exercise.

I can't believe this is still around!:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=140188

:-)

And it's orange, too! (Orange is the fastest color - My SS is orange and I'm much faster on it than I have been on any other mtb.)