mvrider
12-01-2013, 03:53 PM
It must be something special:
http://www.44bikes.com/44blog/?p=850

http://www.44bikes.com/images/44tld_process.pdf

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5516/10980967664_b2e18e55d1_c.jpg

rice rocket
12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Disc?! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:honda-tech.com/get//images/smilies/thud.gif

Anarchist
12-01-2013, 04:18 PM
He is a consumer just like any of us and I for one find the cult of personality that he has built up, and that follows him, to be dis-tasteful.

akelman
12-01-2013, 04:25 PM
I find the use of unnecessary dashes to be distasteful. (I kid! Though "cult of personality" is pretty strong, you know?) And while we're talking about my likes and dislikes, I think that bike looks awesome.

54ny77
12-01-2013, 04:39 PM
that bike aside, check out the garage forum and peruse forty four's shop build/setup. it's awesome.

sevencyclist
12-01-2013, 04:43 PM
I personally find the disc-tasteful!:banana:

FlashUNC
12-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Very cool. The Forty Fours I've seen are all outstanding bikes.

the bottle ride
12-01-2013, 04:46 PM
He is a consumer just like any of us and I for one find the cult of personality that he has built up, and that follows him, to be dis-tasteful.

Funny this comes from someone named "anarchist"

All personal commentary aside, bitching bike.

akelman
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
The Forty Fours I've seen are all outstanding bikes.

I've only seen one in person, and it was really very well done. If I weren't completely committed to getting a Kirk when I'm done healing*, I'd seriously consider getting on the list for a Forty Four.

* By which time general decrepitude will have set in. Still, I'll have a Kirk built up before Louis does.

FlashUNC
12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I've only seen one in person, and it was really very well done. If I weren't completely committed to getting a Kirk when I'm done healing*, I'd seriously consider getting on the list for a Forty Four.

* By which time general decrepitude will have set in. Still, I'll have a Kirk built up before Louis does.

Just get it with a 58 top tube and I'll take it off your hands when it's time to put you in a home.

mtb_frk
12-01-2013, 05:10 PM
44 is on my short list for sure for my next project. The Deb is a amazing looking bike.

Anarchist
12-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I find the use of unnecessary dashes to be distasteful. (I kid! Though "cult of personality" is pretty strong, you know?) And while we're talking about my likes and dislikes, I think that bike looks awesome.

How very clever.

If I thought the term was too strong I would not have used it.

Funny this comes from someone named "anarchist"

All personal commentary aside, bitching bike.

How very clever.

eddief
12-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanksgivika present. I hear Richie is a mensch.

Liv2RideHard
12-01-2013, 05:44 PM

This has zero to do with the bike Richard had made for his wife. If you have issues with him, his persona etc., take it elsewhere man.

Kris made an amazing bike and I would love to have one of his rides in my stable. That bike awesome. I would hang it right next to my...Sachs.

Cheers!

mike p
12-01-2013, 05:52 PM
That's a great looking bike I'd be proud to own. Only thing that surprises me is that it has disc brakes.

Mike

nighthawk
12-01-2013, 06:06 PM
The 44 bikes I saw at last years Builders Ball in PVD, RI looked great and this one looks awesome, too. Sure it'll be a blast to ride. I wonder what the thought/decision process must have been like for Mr. Sachs, considering all the frame-builder friends and connections he must have. Speaks volumes about the build quality of 44 Bikes, if you ask me.

Looks awesome.

William
12-01-2013, 06:06 PM
A bike by Kris of 44 bikes is in my short list fer sure! That one looks sweet!:cool:

William

pdmtong
12-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Only thing that surprises me is that it has disc brakes.

why?

like electric, road discs are a walk-off grand slam product for women

in the case of brakes, it's not the stopping power...it's the miniscule effort needed for modulation.

avalonracing
12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I wonder if Mrs. Ritchie wanted a Sachs but was locked out of the queue.

texbike
12-01-2013, 07:37 PM
^^ Nice! :)

Texbike

pbarry
12-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Nice rig. 44 was off my radar, but if RS placed an order, they're doing things right. :beer:

Jeff Weir
12-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Get a grip.

mike p
12-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Only because he himself doesn't seem to be a big fan of them. Ever see disc brakes on any Sachs team bike?

Mike

QUOTE=pdmtong;1460851]why?

in the case of brakes, it's not the stopping power...it's the miniscule effort needed for modulation.[/QUOTE]

shovelhd
12-01-2013, 08:09 PM
why?

in the case of brakes, it's not the stopping power...it's the miniscule effort needed for modulation.

Looks like a cross bike to me.

don compton
12-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Don't get it

William
12-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Don't get it

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126560

:)
William

mvrider
12-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Don't get it

From across the hall (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f22/44-bikes-29082.html):

The story behind the name "44 Bikes" is such: Football played a pretty large part of my early years in the Perkiomen Valley of my home state of PA. I was raised on stories of the old "BucksMont League", looking at pictures of my grandpop with no facemask, leather helmets and stories before he enlisted in the Navy for WWII. My father had played on the same field that his father did. My Middle School was the old High School that they both had attended (I attended the new Upper Perkiomen High School - same school just different location). There was a rich family history there for me and left an impression. Stories surrounded "who wore what number" and so on. My grandfather was #27, my uncle Kurt had worn #14, my father #44. My Dad and I would go down the street to a large grass lot in front of a church and throw ball till the sun went down. We'd always end it with some sort of scenario with the clock running down, no time outs, deep in our own territory with some sort of hail mary thrown in for good measure. Naturally if I dropped the ball, there would be an endless list of penalties my Dad would make up until I caught one to end the game. Being impressionable and wanting to emulate my own father (and very much looking up to him), when it was my turn I chose that number too. The game taught me a lot about mental and physical limits, discipline, patience, the worth of practice makes perfect, and team work. The number 44 also seemed to be a lucky number for me throughout my years popping up when the chips were down and reminding me to work hard and "earn it" no matter what. Nostalgia, good luck and the duality of the number seemed to have a lot of weight in my book. It only felt fitting to use that as my frame businesses name/logo. The logo also has a lot of meaning to it. I'll have to make up a little "pictograph" explaining what all of the symbols mean and what the story is. There's a lot of thought that went into it.

dave thompson
12-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Kris explains, and illustrates, the TLD here: http://issuu.com/44bikes/docs/44tld_process-issuu

Sachs has commissioned other builders for bikes for him, nothing new. Just because one makes something doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate others.

rwsaunders
12-01-2013, 08:45 PM
That looks to be a very fun and versatile bike. Agreed that it certainly says something about the builder when eR's wife is the one who gets to enjoy it.

Frankwurst
12-01-2013, 09:12 PM
It's a nice looking bike indeed but I'll take my Atlantis. That's the great thing about bicycles,we all have our own likes, needs and wants. :beer:

pdmtong
12-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Don't get it

Ellis

pdmtong
12-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Only because he himself doesn't seem to be a big fan of them. Ever see disc brakes on any Sachs team bike?

Mike

QUOTE=pdmtong;1460851]why?

in the case of brakes, it's not the stopping power...it's the miniscule effort needed for modulation.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if not a fan or just hsn't gotten around to incorporating discs into his designs. Sort of like no EPS on a pegoretti, at least not yet.

alastair
12-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I really like the look the 29ers that I've seen from 44 too.

slidey
12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
I wonder if Mrs. Ritchie wanted a Sachs but was locked out of the queue.

Well played sir! :banana:

oldpotatoe
12-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Disc?! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:honda-tech.com/get//images/smilies/thud.gif

Mechanical? brakes and discs?? can't ride that!!

BUT why did a frame builder have another frame builder make him a frame for his lovely bride???

And if ya don't like erichie's posts, don't read them, sir...ATMO.

edward12
12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Mechanical? brakes and discs?? can't ride that!!

BUT why did a frame builder have another frame builder make him a frame for his lovely bride???

And if ya don't like erichie's posts, don't read them, sir...ATMO.

If I had to guess, I think e-Richie is trying to promote newer builders in his part of the country. Also, 44 bikes probably employs a business model with which e-Ritchie agrees.

Despite the peception of a "cult of personality," it's hard to argue with success and a sensible and realistic business/industry outlook.

sparky33
12-02-2013, 01:05 PM
If I had to guess, I think e-Richie is trying to promote newer builders in his part of the country. Also, 44 bikes probably employs a business model with which e-Ritchie agrees.

Despite the peception of a "cult of personality," it's hard to argue with success and a sensible and realistic business/industry outlook.

It's great to see the established builders giving a nod to the up and coming builders, and that acknowledgement appears well-earned.

austex
12-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Is that a thru-axle fork, like a Whiskey No.9 maybe? I see a q/r lever on the drive side....

mistermo
12-02-2013, 07:47 PM
It's a nice looking bike indeed but I'll take my Atlantis. That's the great thing about bicycles,we all have our own likes, needs and wants. :beer:

If I'm not mistaken, this bike replaces, or maybe supplements, TLD's Atlantis.

jmeloy
12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
This has zero to do with the bike Richard had made for his wife. If you have issues with him, his persona etc., take it elsewhere man.

Kris made an amazing bike and I would love to have one of his rides in my stable. That bike awesome. I would hang it right next to my...Sachs.

Cheers!

+1000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

crossjunkee
12-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice bike, minus the disc brakes.

Anarchist
12-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Cheers!

This strikes me funnier than anything else in this thread.

Regardless, you have all done an admirable job of proving my point.

Thanks.

don compton
12-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Ellis
Thanks, Looks good:)

Kirk007
12-02-2013, 09:51 PM
This strikes me funnier than anything else in this thread.

Thanks.

I don't see that you have a point other than to sling sh*t.

Funny, a few years ago in Eugene Oregon at an environmental conference, the "anarchists" had organized a table and were sitting around it with bandanas over their faces but distributing brochures. When I asked them if they found anything ironic about what they were doing they just looked at me confused. They just didn't get it. Sorta like your take on this thread.

If you want to start a thread on how Richard is _______ have at it, but this thread is about a bike and the fact that a talented builder chose another builder to build it. Whatever you think of Richard personally, there seems to be little dispute that he knows how to build a bike, and has been doing it long enough to be a fair judge of other builder's talents. Put your axe away, its striking the dirt instead of wood.

Returning now to watching the Seahawks destroy the Saints.

dave thompson
12-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't see that you have a point other than to sling sh*t.

Funny, a few years ago in Eugene Oregon at an environmental conference, the "anarchists" had organized a table and were sitting around it with bandanas over their faces but distributing brochures. When I asked them if they found anything ironic about what they were doing they just looked at me confused. They just didn't get it. Sorta like your take on this thread.

If you want to start a thread on how Richard is _______ have at it, but this thread is about a bike and the fact that a talented builder chose another builder to build it. Whatever you think of Richard personally, there seems to be little dispute that he knows how to build a bike, and has been doing it long enough to be a fair judge of other builder's talents. Put your axe away, its striking the dirt instead of wood.

Returning now to watching the Seahawks destroy the Saints.

Your first two paragraphs are excellent and on point. Anarchist is still struggling trying to be a (insert an appropriate term here).

Your third paragraph, so true! Hopefully I'll be watching the Seahawks play the Superbowl from Cabo!

the bottle ride
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Please articulate your point-
So far you you have insinuated nothing, let alone "proven a point"
Pull back the curtain on your intellect and show us something other than trying to stir the pot.

This is a forum about bikes and in this thread there has been nothing you have said that is about bikes.

Start over with some kindness

Uncle Jam's Army
12-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I lost all respect for anarchists when they participated in an organized march during the 2000 Democrat Convention.

blessthismess
12-02-2013, 10:47 PM
A hamburger and a french fry walk into a bar.

The bartender says, "I'm sorry we don't serve food here

#campyuserftw
12-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I lost all respect for anarchists when they participated in an organized march during the 2000 Democrat Convention.

LOL :)

Made me think of Stephen Wright.

"I have a switch in my apartment......it doesn't do anything......Every once in a while, I turn it on and off......One day I got a call......it was from a woman in France.......she said 'Cut it out'......"

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature."

"I bought some dehydrated water, but I don't know what to add to it."

"I invented the cordless extension cord."

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~norm/SteveQuotes.html

Anarchist
12-02-2013, 10:58 PM
So predictable.

Clockwork Angels.

Ti Designs
12-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Please articulate your point-
So far you you have insinuated nothing, let alone "proven a point"

He stated that e-Richie's personality has a cult following, which was his was of predicting that there would be multiple pages of compliments of the bike. And there have been. I can't fully agree that the forum members have proven his point because much of the discussion has been questioning the use of disk brakes - how dare they question the likes of Richard Sachs!!! If you don't see how many people on this forum blindly follow the words of established frame builders, I can bring up many cases where the frame builder is the final word on bike fit - how? They're glorified plumbers with slightly higher pants. Joining tubes together does not make anyone a good fitter, and yet going to the fitter is seen as the gold standard here.

the bottle ride
12-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Dude- the bike is bitching.
You can't argue that.

Kirk007
12-02-2013, 11:29 PM
So predictable.

Clockwork Angels.

Years before you joined there was a big dust up when a bunch of folks "left" the Serotta forum and started Velocipede Salon, otherwise referred to as "across the hall." At the time there was a lot of acrimony with folks like Richard being referred to as "the cool kids" etc. It got old. It was pointless. It turned off and away a lot of folks who had previously been interesting strong contributors. Some have returned. Others have not.

Your comments re Richard as a "cult of personality" and the "crowd that follows him" i.e the sycophants, reminds me of those days, and the unnecessary venom that made this place a lesser place. That is why I have responded.

There is simply no need for this stuff here. It degrades the community. I guess it was predictable that some of us would take offense to your post. And the offense taken has nothing to do with having bought into any cult.

Personally, I don't own a Sachs, maybe I will someday as by all accounts Richard builds phenomenal bikes. But my Kirk is a great bike, and Dave is a great guy. The same is true for my Peg and my impression, informed by personal communications, of Dario and I believe the same can be said for many other builder's products and personalities. I have great steel bikes, and if I was to add more road bikes it would be from Tom Kellog or maybe Firefly or Darren Crisp for ti or Nick Crumpton for carbon. Personally I'm not much of a fan of Richard's new branding, but that's just me, and to each his own. And in any event, its just the dressing not the meat of the product. Finally, whether you like it or not you can't really argue that many [any?] other one person builder has created such a unified and comprehensive product line and marketing plan. I think your perception that there's a bunch of grown men and women who follow Richard around like adoring adolescents is just not accurate, but even if it was, so what? Why do you care? It is hurting you or making your life less worthwhile?

Bottom line, there simply was nothing constructive in your post, and that remains true for the follow-ups. There's enough snideness, enough hate, enough poor manners in the world without gratuitously bringing it into this house.

Weak sauce. The only redeeming point is that the discussion has been marginally more engaging than the second half of the Seahawks game.

Kirk007
12-02-2013, 11:37 PM
If you don't see how many people on this forum blindly follow the words of established frame builders, I can bring up many cases where the frame builder is the final word on bike fit - how? They're glorified plumbers with slightly higher pants. Joining tubes together does not make anyone a good fitter, and yet going to the fitter is seen as the gold standard here.

By almost all accounts Tom Kellogg knows a bit about fitting, and I suspect a few other frame builders do as well. Generalizations don't really advance the cause either way. Between someone who has built and "fitted" thousands of riders without formal training or the 22 year old at the LBS who just went through Specialized fitting program, who would you trust to design your bike? I suspect your answer would be neither, you would go to someone like you - an experienced fitter - illustrating the hazard of dumbing down the analysis with sweeping generalizations.

Anarchist
12-03-2013, 12:30 AM
This has gone almost exactly as I thought it would.

One guy got it.

I love all the assumptions about "Anarchist". Funny stuff.

I'm not in love with supercilious lectures and preening put downs, but those also are what I would have expected. Mirrors can be hard.

Nice looking bike. It's a bike.

54ny77
12-03-2013, 12:39 AM
If Sacco and Vanzetti were to commission a bike, to whom would they go?

zetroc
12-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Where's the rep feature?

Vientomas
12-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Perhaps you should take your superior intellect and join the MENSA Forum. I suspect it must be quite boring for you to mix with the dullards found here. Maybe you are slumming with the predictable crowd to enhance your self-esteem? Kind of like Q?

54ny77
12-03-2013, 01:06 AM
swoop lives.

Bruce K
12-03-2013, 03:57 AM
I am not sure why threads about Richard Sachs, Serotta (the bicycles, the company, or the man), and one or two other topics continue to generate the significant thread drift that devolves into personal attacks, etc., but this one has done so.

Time to move on.

BK