PDA

View Full Version : Project FrankenNiner!

William
12-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I've decided that my Winter project will be to build a SS 29'er. This will be a FrankenNiner project, cobbling the best parts I can scrounge!

First question:

Anyone have experience with the Salsa Woodchipper bars? I don't feel they are "needed", just thinking about trying them to try something different vs a straight bar.

Woodchippers...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5280/5884113793_94d9d87a66.jpg

William

josephr
12-01-2013, 08:02 PM
lots of endurance 29ers out there have the woodchippers and another popular option is the On-One Midge which is like an extreme woodchipper. Is the bike in the pic yours? the Woodchipper looks at home on that build.
Joe

William
12-01-2013, 08:35 PM
lots of endurance 29ers out there have the woodchippers and another popular option is the On-One Midge which is like an extreme woodchipper. Is the bike in the pic yours? the Woodchipper looks at home on that build.
Joe

That's not mine, but along the lines of what I'm thinking. I'll check out the On-One Midge as well. Thanks for the tip!:cool:

William

binouye
12-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I've got the Woodchipper bars on my Monstercross 29er and like them. I've used them for both singletrack and road (65 miles dirt road option for Spaghetti 100 ride a couple weeks ago). I can easily get the Campy ergos in a position where they feel good both on the hoods and in the drops.

I've tried those On-One's in a shop, but not ridden them. But the curve was extreme enough that I couldn't find a way to get my hands to feel good on them and set was for either hoods or drops, not both.

I've got the Salsa cowbell 2 bars on another bike (disc commuter) and they are OK, but I'm on the lookout for something else to try. The outward flare on the Cowbell bars is pretty subtle, so they don't feel that different from other compact drop bars.

josephr
12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I've got the Woodchipper bars on my Monstercross 29er and like them. I've used them for both singletrack and road (65 miles dirt road option for Spaghetti 100 ride a couple weeks ago). I can easily get the Campy ergos in a position where they feel good both on the hoods and in the drops.

I've tried those On-One's in a shop, but not ridden them. But the curve was extreme enough that I couldn't find a way to get my hands to feel good on them and set was for either hoods or drops, not both.

I've got the Salsa cowbell 2 bars on another bike (disc commuter) and they are OK, but I'm on the lookout for something else to try. The outward flare on the Cowbell bars is pretty subtle, so they don't feel that different from other compact drop bars.

I've got the cowbells also and they're alright....but the woodchipper/midge thing has sort of intrigued me. I'm just not motivated to go through the hassle of a bar switch right now.

These looks pretty funky too....

http://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bar.html

Joe

William
12-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Those H-bars are interesting as well.

Currently on my gather list (other than the woodchippers/H-Bars):

Ridged fork (May have one lined up)

Front & rear disc brakes

Built SS 29er disc wheel set

30.9 mtb seat post

Keeping my eyes peeled.:)

William

Spaceman Spiff
12-04-2013, 12:37 PM

I've got a Cowbell 2 bar on my commuter/gravel bike and I really like the subtle outward flare - still looks pretty traditional but is a little easier on my wrists.

I've been tempted to get a Midge/other radically flared drop bar for mountain biking, but find it hard to imagine that it would be that comfortable for road riding.

josephr
12-07-2013, 09:29 AM
not sure what type of handlebars these guys are using, but this is a list of the bikes from the folks signed up for the Tour Divide 2014...very unique rigs with a very unique purpose.

In the works
Cannondale SS hard tail rigid fork
Working on something new
Cysco Ti 29er hard tail rigid fork
Specialized 29er Epic S-Works
1989 Giant Sedona rigid chro-moly
Triton Ti 29er Rigid Rohloff
Salsa Fargo - Rigid
Surly krampus
Yeti ARC Carbon
In the works
Working on something new
Salsa Fargo - Rigid
Surly krampus
Yeti ARC Carbon
In the works
Working on something new
Salsa Fargo - Rigid

Fixed
12-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I've decided that my Winter project will be to build a SS 29'er. This will be a FrankenNiner project, cobbling the best parts I can scrounge!

First question:

Anyone have experience with the Salsa Woodchipper bars? I don't feel they are "needed", just thinking about trying them to try something different vs a straight bar.

Woodchippers...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5280/5884113793_94d9d87a66.jpg

William

Cool looking bike great winter project
Cheers

JAGI410
12-07-2013, 09:40 AM
I run the old Titec version of the Jones H-Bars on my Troll, and chose those over the Woodchippers because they have more useable hand positions.

I'd check and see if that Niner will fit the 29x3 Surly Knards too!