PDA

View Full Version : Giant Propel brakes - are they any good?

bcroslin
11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm looking to possibly buy a Giant Propel and the few people I know who own them aren't crazy about the brakes. I owned several mt bikes over the years with V brakes and I know that if they're not set up properly they can be problematic.

Anyone have any experience with the Propel's brakes? TIA.

Bob

ultraman6970
11-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Well, just to start we are talking of good bikes and good manufacturing of the pieces, right tolerances, good return springs and stuff. Not like the crap V brakes we find in any hybrid around the country. So i don't see why they should not work as intended, and from looking at them you can tell the thing looks solid.

The only thing I see is that if by any reason a spoke fails wonder if the thingy can be open to clear a little bit more, besides that don't see why they should work worse than regular calipers, after all the idea was to be more aero?

At least the rear one is not under the frame, like trek does, to me that's a really bad idea in a road bike.

John H.
11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
There is an aftermarket brand- I think it is called Fourier. That is what the Belkin team uses.

bcroslin
11-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Found them - spendy (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Mount-Aero-V-Brake-for-Giant-Propel-F-R-CNC-Machined-FOURIERS-Logo-Black-/161138426763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258499438b)

John H.
11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Those are supposed to be the "real deal" for the Propel.
Since it is a new frame it might be worth trying to negotiate a discount without brakes. Tell the shop that the Giant brakes are crap and you are going to have to get a pair on your own.

bcroslin
11-30-2013, 05:44 PM
it might be worth trying to negotiate a discount

I've already negotiated a pretty good discount and if I ask the LBS to take the brakes off the owner just might make me wear them for earrings. :)

John H.
11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Understood- then just be happy with the deal and get brakes on own.

I've already negotiated a pretty good discount and if I ask the LBS to take the brakes off the owner just might make me wear them for earrings. :)