PDA

View Full Version : Yoga

parco
11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
How many of you do yoga? I did a search and I didn't find very much. I raced for 10 years and would cut back on my riding a bit in the winter. For the first 6 years I really didn't begin to regain my fitness until around May. Then I started doing yoga and I found that my fitness came back much quicker. Yoga has been very beneficial for me in many ways.

greengage
11-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I have done Vinyasa yoga off and on for years. Mostly off, to be honest, but I've found that when I do I am always in better shape across the board. Better stamina, recovery, and obviously flexibility. But it's so expensive! I haven't been flush enough to go to my local studio in about 19 months. Coincidentally, my first kid is 20 months old.
So, anyone have a good home routine they do regularly?

JWDR
11-30-2013, 10:49 AM
I go once a week. It not only helps with my flexibility but it really helps withy mood. I can tell when I skip a couple of weeks, my form sucks when I go back and I'm sore for two-three days afterwards.

Mr Cabletwitch
11-30-2013, 10:50 AM
I do yoga with my wife. It helps with core strength.

Fixed
11-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I am a heart of yoga teacher having studied extensively with Mark Whitwell
I practice every morning before I ride , I started yoga after a brain injury from being hit by a limo while riding .
I offer free yoga to cyclist and those in need of relief from T.b.i. , I couldn't walk without staggering before I started yoga after almost three years I have started riding my bike again . It is very beautiful to be riding again .
Remember real yoga is about being in the breath and moving with the breath not at all about gymnastics . I can teach you a 7 minute practice that will help your cycling and your outlook on life if you give it forty days of practice .
Cheers :)

avalonracing
11-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Nice Fixed...

When my wife and I separated last year instead of doing the what most guys do with the anxiety (drinking) I rode a lot, lifted weights and started yoga. While everything else was falling apart I felt physically great and I'm sure that kept me from losing it entirely. I don't like the process of yoga because, like many cyclists my muscles and connective tissue is tight and shortened. But after each class was done I felt much better for the rest of the day.

I stopped the yoga for no good reason when my block of classes ended. As my separation is soon to become finalized one of my plans for this week is to find a new yoga class to join. Hopefully, I'll stick with it this time because I can only see good from being a long term student.

parco
11-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I have taken some yoga classes but I also bought a couple of books and developed a routine that I use most mornings especially before riding. And yes the benefits are much more than just my cycling fitness.

cmg
11-30-2013, 12:27 PM
usually i do yoga when i feel sluggish. here is some video links for it. http://www.yogaglo.com/yoga_for_cyclists http://www.active.com/health/articles/yoga-for-cyclists-3-poses-you-should-practice http://www.menshealth.com/yoga/yoga-for/Workout_Yoga_for_Cyclists.php http://www.prana.com/life/2013/07/18/sage-rountree-yoga-for-cyclists/ just google yoga for cyclist plenty of options.

Chris
11-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I have done Vinyasa yoga off and on for years. Mostly off, to be honest, but I've found that when I do I am always in better shape across the board. Better stamina, recovery, and obviously flexibility. But it's so expensive! I haven't been flush enough to go to my local studio in about 19 months. Coincidentally, my first kid is 20 months old.
So, anyone have a good home routine they do regularly?

I have the Brian Kest power yoga DVD series. 3 workouts on one DVD. I use them a lot.

veloduffer
11-30-2013, 02:10 PM
One of my cycling buddies is a full time yoga instructor, but I have not tried it yet. My wife does yoga and keeps urging me to go with her. I should give it a try - I am about as flexible as a 2x4.

Fixed
11-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Don't view yoga as a workout (ride your bike for that )it is more about connecting with yourself and the breath ,yoga means union of opposites the sun the moon the male the female the inhale the exhale ,there is no need to be a Hindu missionary either yoga is not a religion ,no need to go to a commercial studio , there is no bad yoga is it makes you feel bad it is not yoga ,,do your yoga not someone else's , here is a link to the promise the seven minute practice that is all the yoga you need ,I promise it will help you, and you're cycling feel better
Cheers
http://www.thepromise.com/ipromise/
Anyone in San Francisco that wants help getting started with their yoga p.m. Me I am always available to help :)

Johnny P
11-30-2013, 02:54 PM
I take a yoga class once a week. It has really helped my flexibility. I had to give up my Thursday ride for the yoga class, but it is worth it.

greengage
11-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't view yoga as a workout (ride your bike for that )it is more about connecting with yourself and the breath ,yoga means union of opposites the sun the moon the male the female the inhale the exhale ,there is no need to be a Hindu missionary either yoga is not a religion ,no need to go to a commercial studio , there is no bad yoga is it makes you feel bad it is not yoga ,,do your yoga not someone else's , here is a link to the promise the seven minute practice that is all the yoga you need ,I promise it will help you, and you're cycling feel better
Cheers
http://www.thepromise.com/ipromise/
Anyone in San Francisco that wants help getting started with their yoga p.m. Me I am always available to help :)

This is great, as are all the other links and pointers. This thread has me looking forward to getting my head (and beat up back) into Yoga again. Thanks!

billium
11-30-2013, 03:14 PM
For you that were non-flexible when starting yoga (as in "palms on shins instead of floor"), how often did you have to practice before noticeable gains in flexibility?

I try and stretch after most rides, and my wife has provided some good yoga moves, but honestly I dislike it a bunch. Experience has taught me that it's great for my riding, but after a few weeks I show very little increase in flexibility and a corresponding but significant increase in frustration.

What's a reasonable expectation for a 50 some year old?

Fixed
11-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Age is unimportant and flexibility is not needed ,when you do a standing forward bend ,keep the knees bent as much as needed it protects the back ,exhale as you fold inhale as you come back up ,the union of the breath body and mind is yoga increased strength flexibility sex drive and mood elevation are side effects not goals , we are really perfect just as we are right now at this very moment .cheers :)

rdparadise
11-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I practice Bikram Yoga and was actually at the studio this morning. It's 90 minutes of hot yoga. 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. The first 45-50 minutes are standing, the rest is on the mat. Once on the mat, they do a series of core strengthening moves that really help my back.

My flexibility is like some other said, that is, terribly inflexible. I've practiced for 5 years, mostly in the winter when my riding takes a back seat. The heat (105 degrees) really helps me to become more flexible while practicing.

I find my practice really helps me stay grounded and when I practice often 3+ times a week, my focus is unbelievable. I consider one class of Bikram to be a full toxic cleansing as the heat really helps to clear out all the crap I carry around within myself.

Bob

cmg
11-30-2013, 09:51 PM
here's another link for more stretches. http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/your-guide-to-cycling-stretches also i started doing the exercises in the book "Foundation", Eric Goodman Peter Park at the beginning of may but i went over the bars, tore shoulder ligaments and still haven't restarted. pushups or any exercise that puts the shoulder under load hurts. But to answer the question the of when you start seeing/feeling the effects, i'd say after 10 days worth of exercise/yoga. while you might not pick up much speed what it does do is delay the pain zone, you'll have more control of your breathing.

billium
11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I'll make an effort to be more consistent.

The biggest benefit I get is range of motion. I have a serious issue with the piriformis/sciatic nerve in my left leg. Specific stretching/foam roller/bag of frozen peas regularly make a significant difference.

Tony
12-01-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm working my way through these moves for more flexibility :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xF_5tARpGE&list=TLpUrCkUI8d0gf46PQ8iZA8ok_7L6Pqy05

ChrisG
12-01-2013, 07:08 AM
This is a timely reminder that I need to get more serious about this over the winter. I have a good friend who's an instructor, and I've taken his classes occasionally, but I really need to establish a regular practice once and for all.

Seramount
12-01-2013, 09:25 AM
started doing yoga in college in the mid-70s. have done it off and on since.

for the last 6 years, we've had a lunchtime class at work that I participate in...it's something I really look forward to doing. especially cycling-specific poses like the 'pigeon' and various leg stretches.

improves flexibility, helps with stress release, and being the only guy in a room full of women has certain perks.

d_douglas
12-01-2013, 09:47 AM
My colleague at work is an architect, but her passion is yoga. She loves it and she moonlights as a teacher.

I went to an evening class of hers and felt amazing afterwards. I was fighting a cold, did an hour of yoga, and then got completely sick, which is (to me) a great thing - toxin release.

She decided to start informally doing yoga in a spare office at work and so a few o us have started going - I love it. I know very little about it but she explained that it is a 'fitness-based' yoga, so lots of focus on core strength and balance.

cycle_chic
12-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I've been practicing for three years. Mostly Ashtanga/Vinyasa flow style with a little bit of Hatha or Bikram from time to time.

There are tons of great (free) podcasts of classes. If you like more dynamic Power yoga classes, try Googling Kinndli McCollum or Dave Farmar for their free podcasts. Also, Yoga to the People has free recordings of their classes online as well.

Namaste. :)

BumbleBeeDave
12-01-2013, 03:47 PM
When my wife and I separated last year instead of doing the what most guys do with the anxiety (drinking) I rode a lot, lifted weights and started yoga. While everything else was falling apart I felt physically great and I'm sure that kept me from losing it entirely.

During several times in my life when all else seemed to be going wrong in so many ways, my fitness activities give me a sense of fulfillment and control over at least one aspect of my life that helped me keep it together.

Fortunately, my local gym ($20 month) has a huge schedule of classes, including yoga. I took some classes there 7-8 years ago and they did indeed do me a lot of good, but I stopped because there just wasn't enough time to do everything.

I had already resolved to go back and do more this winter, and the silver lining to my present unemployed circumstances may turn out to be to finally have the time to go to spin, lift weights, and do the yoga.

If you're going to find some classes, consider the instructor carefully and make sure their class is open to novices and that they are welcoming. Try to get some personal feedback from other students before you try their class.

BBD