PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Spamfest

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Mine started Wednesday with the emails rolling in the door from every conceivable bike related business I've bought anything from for years. So far the most "interesting" is from Peachpit Press, which I haven't bought anything from for ten years or so.

Get anything that makes you wonder . . . How on earth did THEY get my email address? :p

BBD

oldpotatoe
11-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Mine started Wednesday with the emails rolling in the door from every conceivable bike related business I've bought anything from for years. So far the most "interesting" is from Peachpit Press, which I haven't bought anything from for ten years or so.

Get anything that makes you wonder . . . How on earth did THEY get my email address? :p

BBD

Emails are bought and sold plus many have random email generators, looking for active emails..but you knew that....My email volume has gone down scads since leaving vecchios.com

hooray.

OtayBW
11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Black Friday Spamfest?? You must be kidding. This seems like just another day when you already get 3-4x promotional e-mails a week all year long, even from well-respected Company A, Company B, etc. All good companies that I'd like to keep up with, but you usually must choose either to receive their ~constant barrage of e-mails or unsubscribe totally from their list. How about a ~once a week option, Companies??? :mad:

gone
11-29-2013, 09:16 AM
I use a separate email address for anything I buy, memberships, ..., basically for anything that I don't really care about (like correspondence with friends). I check it once a week.

Idris Icabod
11-29-2013, 09:41 AM
The emails are one thing but the mailed catalogs are crazy here. American Girl somehow learned (presumably from the NSA) that we have 2 and 4 year old girls and started sending us propaganda weeks ago.

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2013, 10:06 AM
. . . of all the mailed catalogs. The pile is getting smaller as years go by, I assume because figure if I haven't bought anything after ten years I'm not going to.

BBD

Vientomas
11-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Most email solicitations have an "unsubscribe" link in small type at the bottom of the page.

Llewellyn
11-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I had to register with a government body a few years so that I could carry on doing a certain aspect of my business. Ever since then I get occasional unsolicited letters from companies offering PI insurance or membership of associations in the area I work in.

The only people that I know who would have that info to pass on is the TPB that I registered with. I don't get a lot of these letters so it's no hassle to chuck them in the recycling but it's annoying that a govt body might have passed my details on without asking

downtube
11-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Email has been very active this week. Yet with all their best effortsI haven't spent a penny today! I did go for a nice ride and worked in the yard. All is good, I have entered the non spend zone.
chuck

fuzzalow
11-29-2013, 05:43 PM
The emails are one thing but the mailed catalogs are crazy here. American Girl somehow learned (presumably from the NSA) that we have 2 and 4 year old girls and started sending us propaganda weeks ago.

Ha Ha! American Girl and other retailers of note and means don't need no stinkin' NSA. They can already piece together your entire transactional life by the trail of your credit card activity. Knowing the age of your female offspring to the precision of 2 or 3 years is, pardon the pun, child's play.

For me, there was a slight uptick in spam presaging Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Some of the vendors I deal with are smaller vendors who only submit to offering one sale a year which they hope is the deluge that follows just after Thanksgiving.