PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 11sp cassettes/chains with Campy 11 ergos?

kramnnim
11-28-2013, 09:58 AM
This has been discussed on other forums, with many saying it works fine to use Shimano 11sp chains/cassettes with an otherwise Campy drivetrain...any of y'all doing this?

I can get a new 6800 chain/cassette combo for $92, quite a savings compared to the used $80 Chorus cassettes I've been getting...

(Obviously the cost of the freehub body switch would have to be considered)

leooooo
11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
It works.
One of my riding buddy runs this setup.
We put in ~180 miles a week.
Running this for a few months already.
So not only does it work, it's reliable.

SlackMan
11-28-2013, 01:03 PM
To build off of the OP's question (hopefully without thread-jacking!), is it accurate to say that Campy shifters are more durable than Shimano ones, or at least more repairable by do it yourselfers?

Brian Cdn
11-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Following this thread...

Does this mean that I can run a Shimano 11 speed cassette with a campy 11 speed chain and drive train ?

ergott
11-28-2013, 02:08 PM
I run full SR11 on my bike with a Shimano wheel and 9000 cassette.

This wheelbuilder approves.

kramnnim
11-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Cool. So, who wants to buy a bunch of Campy chains/cassettes and a White Industries freehub body?! :hello:

Brian Cdn
11-28-2013, 03:16 PM
what you got in C11 stuff..

PM or email me...

Brian

PaMtbRider
11-28-2013, 03:17 PM

I am getting a new "gravel" bike built with campy components. Considering disc brakes and 135 spacing. Is there a reason to choose a shimano hub over a campy, other than greater availability and cost?

thirdgenbird
11-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Cool. So, who wants to buy a bunch of Campy chains/cassettes and a White Industries freehub body?! :hello:

Why would you get rid of what you already have?

kramnnim
11-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I wasn't really serious...I think.

Kind of annoyed at my stockpile of Chorus 11-25 cassettes, though. Reckon I'll start by trying some 6800 chains...once I go through my Campy. I only have one set of wheels that would be an easy swap to S11.

I wonder if one brand lasts longer than the other? The Shimano splines are always annoying when they get gouged...

thirdgenbird
11-28-2013, 04:27 PM
The Shimano splines are always annoying when they get gouged...

Yep. There is probably more motivation for shimano owners to convert to Campagnolo cassettes then the other way around.

ergott
11-28-2013, 04:58 PM
I am getting a new "gravel" bike built with campy components. Considering disc brakes and 135 spacing. Is there a reason to choose a shimano hub over a campy, other than greater availability and cost?

Shimano cassettes cost significantly less. Also, better resale if you want to get rid of them down the road.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

dpk501
03-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Do you find that all the gears are usable?

Would you say it works so well that you can't tell the difference between a proprietary drivetrain/cassette and this mix?

Thanks

Black Dog
03-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Would you say it works so well that you can't tell the difference between a proprietary drivetrain/cassette and this mix?

Thanks

Velonews (Leonard Zinn) has been mixing up 11 speed stuff in all sorts of combinations and has found that there is no difference one way or the other.

bfd
03-06-2014, 03:30 PM
To build off of the OP's question (hopefully without thread-jacking!), is it accurate to say that Campy shifters are more durable than Shimano ones, or at least more repairable by do it yourselfers?

May be not. Unlike the first two generation, the 3rd gen (gumby hood) Campy ergo shifters are not really rebuildable. It is my understanding there are no g-springs or spring carriers to wear, so if something breaks, you replace the entire innards which can be costly ($100?).

BUT, having said that, even if parts are costly, at least they are available, unlike Shimano. Further, it is my understanding that with no g-springs or spring carriers to wear, there's really nothing to break.

May be OP or some other Campy guy can comment. Good Luck! :confused::eek::butt::bike:

paredown
03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
I kinda wish there was a 'compatibility button' you could push on the older stuff...

And I hate that the repair parts for the Campy 9 to 10 conversions seem to have dried up.

ergott
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Thanks

Every gear works. I would recommend anyone using Campagnolo 11 to stop using Campagnolo cassettes/hubs and move over to Shimano. The cassettes are cheaper and Shimano freehubs are more readily available.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 04:13 PM
I kinda wish there was a 'compatibility button' you could push on the older stuff...

And I hate that the repair parts for the Campy 9 to 10 conversions seem to have dried up.

Nope. Mailorder and what they may say they can't get does not the market make.

Jim@vecchios.com
Has them

10s shift disc and toothed bushing for the front of the lever is all you need.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Every gear works. I would recommend anyone using Campagnolo 11 to stop using Campagnolo cassettes/hubs and move over to Shimano. The cassettes are cheaper and Shimano freehubs are more readily available.

No 10s shimano made hub or wheel is convertible to 11s.

ergott
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
No 10s shimano made hub or wheel is convertible to 11s.

?? Almost every new hub out there is 11 speed for Shimano now.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 04:33 PM

But you mentioned shimano free hub availability and 11s ones are still actually quite scarce. 10s ones are easy but not compatible with 11s. And 10s version 10s free hub bodies model to model, are not inter compatible .

7800,7810, 7850, 7900, 9000, 6700, 6800, 5600, 5700 all different

thirdgenbird
03-06-2014, 04:36 PM

I think everyone should move to Campagnolo cassettes. No more heavy steel freehubs, damaged aluminum freehubs, or expensive titanium freehubs. Once the demand is there, 3rd parties will get on board and cassette prices will come down.

The above is sarcastic, sort of...

Mark McM
03-06-2014, 04:37 PM

He meant that 10spd hubs made by Shimano can't be converted to 11 speed.

ergott
03-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Clarification, Shimano compatible hubs (Dura Ace 9000, DT, Chris King, Tune, White Industries, etc. They are all 11 speed.

Plenty of people are concerned with resale and it's also easier to sell a Shimano compatible wheel.

ergott
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
I think everyone should move to Campagnolo cassettes. No more heavy steel freehubs, damaged aluminum freehubs, or expensive titanium freehubs. Once the demand is there, 3rd parties will get on board and cassette prices will come down.

The above is sarcastic, sort of...

Advantage of Shimano and why they won't make the splines go deeper is that you can put larger bearings in the freehub (for a given axle size). This is why a few companies made Shimano only hubs (Alchemy UL, Phil Wood, Chris King Classic).

Best solution for preventing the freehub splines from getting chewed up is the proper torque on the lockring. It won't eliminate the problem, but it becomes a non issue. Also, White Industries with a titanium freehub body is that expensive. In fact they cost less than most other high end hubs that have an alloy freehub.

thirdgenbird
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I was mainly jabbing with my comment. I understand the bearing issues and what not.

I agree about the white industries hubs. It's not so much that they did ti cheap though. I think the other hubs are just plain overpriced. shimano, Campagnolo, and white industries hubs are great, I'm not sure I would ever spend more.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Clarification, Shimano compatible hubs (Dura Ace 9000, DT, Chris King, Tune, White Industries, etc. They are all 11 speed.

Plenty of people are concerned with resale and it's also easier to sell a Shimano compatible wheel.

Like......Fulcrum

Joachim
03-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Like......Fulcrum

I use a Fulcrum shimano splined freehub body on my Campagnolo hubs and run a Shimano 6800 cassette :)

Black Dog
03-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Advantage of Shimano and why they won't make the splines go deeper is that you can put larger bearings in the freehub (for a given axle size). This is why a few companies made Shimano only hubs (Alchemy UL, Phil Wood, Chris King Classic).

Best solution for preventing the freehub splines from getting chewed up is the proper torque on the lockring. It won't eliminate the problem, but it becomes a non issue. Also, White Industries with a titanium freehub body is that expensive. In fact they cost less than most other high end hubs that have an alloy freehub.

Proper torque is not enough in many cases to prevent the cogs from digging into the splines. I have set many with a torque wrench and even over torqued them and they can still dig in. The best solution is a steel spline insert into a Al freehub.

Mark McM
03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Advantage of Shimano and why they won't make the splines go deeper is that you can put larger bearings in the freehub (for a given axle size).

But Shimano did make the splines deeper (and moved the axle bearings out of the freehub body). Don't you remember the Dura-Ace 7850 freehub? It was a nearly identical copy of the Campagnolo hub design:

http://www.parktool.com/uploads/images/blog/repair_help/dura-ace-parts.jpg

The reason this design failed was not because of the right axle bearing size or location, but because it was incompatible with 8spd and 9spd cassettes, and because of the poor design of the left axle/bearing.

ergott
03-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Two different things going on there. The internals were a step back in design I agree. However, the splines didn't go deeper into the freehub, the splines were made taller. Actually, if Shimano committed to the taller splines they would have solved their spline problem when using alloy. Imagine a 7800 freehub body with the internals of a 9000 hub.

oldpotatoe
03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Two different things going on there. The internals were a step back in design I agree. However, the splines didn't go deeper into the freehub, the splines were made taller. Actually, if Shimano committed to the taller splines they would have solved their spline problem when using alloy. Imagine a 7800 freehub body with the internals of a 9000 hub.

I'm trying but I can't imagine shimano making any hub that backwards compatible...7800 wasn't even compatible with 7810...nor 6600 with 6700.