PDA

View Full Version : wine enthusiasts: what to drink with turkey dinner??

AngryScientist
11-27-2013, 09:51 AM
any suggestions??

i've got two mega wine stores near me and can generally find most common stuff easily. $15 dollar a bottle range ??

Davist
11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
We like (for reds) La Crema or Estancia Pinot Noir, also Joel Gott has a good one that you may be able to get on a deal for the price range..

Happy Thanksgiving!

MattTuck
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
any suggestions??

i've got two mega wine stores near me and can generally find most common stuff easily. $15 dollar a bottle range ??

If you're looking for the 'right' type of wine to drink, I think that ship has sailed. There's so much variety now, and people have their own preferences, that I'd honestly just recommend getting a bottle of a Red and White that you like.

My family will probably have a Cabernet and a Gewürztraminer on the table. Generally, cabernet would be too big a wine to pair with Turkey, but that is the kind of wine that my dad likes, so that's what we have. Save the gourmet pairings for fancy dinners and just pick wines that are broadly liked for Thanksgiving.

Seramount
11-27-2013, 10:02 AM
we're having ham for our turkey dinner...

the extremely cute salesperson at the liquor store recommended a 2010 Vina Robles (CA) cabernet sauvignon for the red wine fans and a 2011 Castel de Raimat (OR) albarino for the white wine crowd.

but, with her persuasive talents, she could have suggested wood alcohol and I'd have bought it...

Chefrider
11-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I like a gamay or dolcetto for red. Whites can do Chardonnay that's seen just a bit of oak or Pinot Gris from Oregon. Don't forget dry rosé. Happy carbo loading !!

regularguy412
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
IMHO, you can hardly go wrong with any of the Woodbridge wines. They are Mondavi's 'economy' label. The Riesling is excellent.

Mike in AR:beer:

SlackMan
11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
A red Zinfandel is considered by many to be very appropriate for Thanksgiving because it is an "American" wine, i.e., the grapes used to make it are grown predominantly in the US. It also pairs well with most Thanksgiving food and reasonable quality bottles can usually be had for $15-ish. The Pinot Noir mentioned above by La Crema is also a good choice.

FlashUNC
11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Beer.

Birddog
11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
It may be gauche, but I like a good Zin. I'm not a fan of white wine but we'll have something for those that do.

moose8
11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
I find a nice IPA pairs well with anything (or nothing).

yngpunk
11-27-2013, 10:53 AM
A red Zinfandel is considered by many to be very appropriate for Thanksgiving because it is an "American" wine, i.e., the grapes used to make it are grown predominantly in the US. It also pairs well with most Thanksgiving food and reasonable quality bottles can usually be had for $15-ish. The Pinot Noir mentioned above by La Crema is also a good choice.

+1 on the Zinfandel. They used to think the grapes originated in the US as well, but now believed to have originated in Croatia (?). So many zinfandels out there, but I would go with any from the three Rs (Ridge, Ravenswood, Rosenblum). Can't go wrong with a Ridge, but probably over your $15 budget.

Another "fun" wine would be Beaujolais Nouveau, since this years vintage has been recently released (11/21).

Another option is a nice rose (no, not a white zinfandel), but a real german or french rose.

Jeff N.
11-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Pinot Noir or Syrah.

zetroc
11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Syrah, Cabernet Franc if you can find it, Pinot Noir. Viognier if you have non-red drinkers.

nrs5000
11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Another vote for lighter red like Beaujolais.

segalpin
11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Years ago we were referred to the Beaujolais Nouveau as a good pairing with Turkey....it is now part of our Thanksgiving Day traditions!

54ny77
11-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I would recommend Boone's Apple Farm. It'll mask the flavor of the dried out turkey your in-laws make, and if you have a couple glasses, give just the right amount of contact high to suffer through the rest of the meal. Winner!

rccardr
11-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Kudos make a nice pinot that goes well with turkey and falls in your price range. Angeline is a nice white and broadly available.

If you're OK with buying French, then LeFlaive Chablis for white and and nice Fleury red Rhone Villages would be good choices and not too far above your stated number. Note that both of those vintners also sell waaaaaaay upscale varietals that are vinyard-specific and cost several times your budget.

yngpunk
11-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I would recommend Boone's Apple Farm. It'll mask the flavor of the dried out turkey your in-laws make, and if you have a couple glasses, give just the right amount of contact high to suffer through the rest of the meal. Winner!

That's Boone's Farm Apple Wine, my friend... you need to know your malt liquor lest you stray down the wrong path and wind up with Mogen David (MD) 20/20. Interestingly, Boone's is now malt based and not wine based and is a brand of E & J Gallo who will "make no wine before its time"

ORMojo
11-27-2013, 01:01 PM
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/thanksgiving/affordable-thanksgiving-wines

josephr
11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
get several BIG bottles of California chardonnay, open early and refill often.
Joe

Llewellyn
11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Penfolds Grange Hermitage ;)

scooter
11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Some others to consider:

Reds
Pinot noir
The 2012 Sea Glass Pinot Noir($10), ** good value from Santa Barbara, cherry/raspberry flavors and some spice.
2011 Francis Coppola “Silver Label” Pinot Noir($15) **1/2 well structured, godfather approved. (Available at Total)
2009 Matua Valley Marlborough Pinot Noir, ($14)**1/2 cherry notes, medium body, with a floral, smoky perfume.
Beaujolais
2008 Georges Dubœuf Morgon Jean Descombes, $15 ** Loaded with aromas of black currant and roses, this Beaujolais is surprisingly jammy (fruity in the Beaujolais tradition) without being overpowering.
2009 Georges Dubœuf Morgon Jean Descombes, $16 *** Even better than the 2008 and top rated (93) (available at Total).
Syrah
2009 Flichman Syrah Barrancas, ($19) ***- Mendoza, Argentina- "...not a fan of Syrahs but this one is a bold potion loaded with flavor and highly rated (available at Total)
The 2011 J. Lohr “South Ridge” Syrah ($15) ** California spicy berry fruit, a hint of white pepper and firm tannins..
Rhône
2012 Robert Hall Cuvee de Robles ($18),** , California full-bodied, Rhône-style blend delivers a mouthful of berry flavors with a lingering spicy finish. Good with roasted meats
Italian Reds
2012 Allegrini Valpolicella Classico. ($17),** fruity, tart and a little spicy on the nose and tongue. (Available at Total)
2008 Pertinace Barbera d’Alba, $15 ** Well structured Barbera with hints of berry and spicy aromas from the Monferrato hills (SSE of Turin) of the Piedmont -a place you’d rather be riding this Thanksgiving than hanging out in New Jersey (just kidding).
Portugese Red
2010 Prazo de Roriz from Portugal’s Douro Valley. A great deal at $16.**1/2 from the land of port comes an interesting wine that’s very suitable to Thanksgiving food (handles the yams/cranberry sauce/turkey/stuffing). Think something like a Chianti classico or a well structured malbec.
Whites
Chardonnay
2011 Canoe Ridge Reserve Chardonnay ($16) **1/2 from Washington state has a fresh citrusy opening but ends with a buttery mouth feel that will cut the spice of the pumpkin pie or the tart sweetness of the cherry or apple pies.
2008 Hayman & Hill Russian River Valley Reserve Selection Chardonnay, ($14) ** Big and rich, lots of oak and fruit, with a buttery mouth feel and a solid finish, this wine easily works with Thanksgiving food.

54ny77
11-27-2013, 03:22 PM
I thank you for the clarification! :D

That's Boone's Farm Apple Wine, my friend... you need to know your malt liquor lest you stray down the wrong path and wind up with Mogen David (MD) 20/20. Interestingly, Boone's is now malt based and not wine based and is a brand of E & J Gallo who will "make no wine before its time"

mvrider
11-27-2013, 03:27 PM
My family is of the opinion that decent champagne goes with anything. We enjoy Veuve Clicquot for being not over the top, yet consistently delicious.

Nowadays, a bottle is over $42 at Costco, but there are a lot of good sparkling alternatives, inc. prosecco.

Ken Robb
11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
hey Scooter--are you in The Bay Area?

SpokeValley
11-27-2013, 04:13 PM

BF used to pair well with a bit of wacky tobakky. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away...;)

scooter
11-27-2013, 05:07 PM
hey Scooter--are you in The Bay Area?

No, but my uncle lives in San Francisco. I had a cousin who lived in Fremont, but he moved to Poulsbo, Washington (Puget Sound area) last year. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Oh yes, I've visited vineyards up and down the coast from the Williamette valley in Oregon down to Santa Barbara. I hope to hit Italy next summer. Perhaps I'll ride by these vineyards near Alba and sample some of their fine wines. A lot of the best wines never make it out of country.

http://sr1.wine-searcher.net/images/region/300x250xbarbera-d-alba-3609-1-1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZTaKKKD5UP.jpg

rustychisel
11-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Sparkling Burgundy... say Mitchell's, Andrew Garrett, Peter Rumball's.

What is this 'Thanksgiving' of which you speak?

parco
11-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin has always been a family favorite.

Seramount
11-27-2013, 06:31 PM
BF used to pair well with a bit of wacky tobakky. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away...;)

the most wretched night of my entire life involved drinking an entire bottle of Strawberry Hill, smoking some killer Colombian, and then getting food poisoning...

projectile vomit with a distinct pinkish hue...lovely.

R2D2
11-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Nobody has mentioned a nice Riesling Kabinet.
Very versatile.
Always a crowd pleasure.
Does well with baked ham also.

jemoryl
11-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I think we are having a Selbach-Oster Halbtroken Riesling, a Finger Lakes Dry Riesling (maybe Ravines), a cru Beaujolais (Gamay is the grape) and a Langhe Nebbiolo (lighter and more friendly when young than Barolo).

tv_vt
11-27-2013, 08:19 PM
We're going with an Oregon Voigner and Pinot Noir (Patricia Green 2007). Possibly a Sabastiani Zin or a Le Crema Pinot may catch some air, too. Also have a NY Finger Lakes Reisling that we may open. Those are the possibilities, anyway.

bcm119
11-28-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm not a big fan of fussing over food/wine pairings, I think if you like wine it's best enjoyed on its own. That said a slightly lighter red is probably best with turkey, and in the $15 range you can get some good wines from Spain or Chile/Argentina these days. $15 CA pinot/syrah/cab is more often than not just not very interesting imho. But $15 will get you some Spanish Rioja or Garnacha with some real character. Also look at south American Malbec or Carménère, although these are both a little heavier. I've been a wine fan for a while and tasted up and down the west coast, but these days I'd rather drink moderately priced Spanish and S American wines than spend a fortune on CA cab and OR pinot.

For specific recs find a smaller shop with a smaller but carefully chosen selection, those are usually easier to choose from than staores that carry everything they can find. Extra points for an irritable and opinionated owner.

verticaldoug
11-28-2013, 04:11 AM
I really won't worry about the food pairing and just go for the fun factor.

For festive occasions, I like to buy the big bottles. Whether champagne or wine, a double magnum just adds fun. If you are having a proper sit down dinner at a long table, the big bottle just makes the occasion more special.

My own preference is for a champagne. Thanksgiving kicks off the holiday season and is a time to toast all those things we are thankful for and looking forward to...

Norm Swift
11-28-2013, 05:33 AM
I think we are having a Selbach-Oster Halbtroken Riesling, a Finger Lakes Dry Riesling (maybe Ravines)...

Thank you for the recommendation. I was familiar with Dr. Konstantin Frank's Rieslings and after a quick search, I see that the folks from Ravines worked at Dr. Frank's vineyard prior to starting their own venture on Keuka Lake. Will definitely check out Ravines.

discman
11-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I usually serve a Zinfandel which many consider a 'merican wine. Whatever you chose...have a happy one and enjoy!

oldpotatoe
11-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Beer.

Yay

AngryScientist
11-28-2013, 09:08 AM
thanks for all of the suggestions. i picked up a few bottles last night.

happy thanksgiving to all; and your families.

AngryScientist
11-23-2020, 06:29 PM
2013 thread bump!!

throw a few ideas at me for turkey day 2020!

cgolvin
11-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Like others in the thread, I am quite fond of Zin with turkey.

Among my favorites is Seghesio, though they are more than your [2013] $15 budget.

C40_guy
11-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Malbec goes with everything. A big chewy Malbec.

Know what it goes best with? More Malbec.

Hellgate
11-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Short answer, whatever you want.

Toddtwenty2
11-23-2020, 07:14 PM
I Like to up the budget a little for holidays, but still nothing excessive so that I can give plenty of refills to the guests in non-covid years.

Two of my perennial favorites are:
Walter Hansel North Slope Pinot Noir ($35)
La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza ($28)

Cheers! Hope everyone can find a lot to be thankful for.

pdmtong
11-23-2020, 07:24 PM
At $15 don't over think it. Buy for the profile you like (white/red, big/soft)

That said, you will get more value with new world wines (chile, argentina, south africa, new zealand, australia)

BTW...If you are in $15 land, why did I pour you some of my Brora 30?

JK.

Answer: that juice is best shared...and who knows when I see you again.

I hope you are brining then roasting the turkey on coals. No No NO oven.

ColonelJLloyd
11-23-2020, 07:40 PM
Short answer, whatever you want.

That said, you will get more value with new world wines (chile, argentina, south africa, new zealand, australia)

Good replies here.

A good store has employees that do regular tastings. Find an employee who looks like they give a care, tell them what you want to spend per bottle, then ask them what they're into lately or what they would bring to the table. It'll work out.

And this is 2020 so buy 100% more bottles than you otherwise might.

nickl
11-23-2020, 07:48 PM
My family is of the opinion that decent champagne goes with anything. We enjoy Veuve Clicquot for being not over the top, yet consistently delicious.

Nowadays, a bottle is over $42 at Costco, but there are a lot of good sparkling alternatives, inc. prosecco.

You nailed it! A good sparkling wine is the perfect accompaniment for a holiday meal. Also before and sometimes after.

Happy Thanksgiving.

metalheart
11-23-2020, 08:15 PM
A few on are on list for the day:

Lewis Grace 2018 Pinot Noir, lovely easy to drink while also very tasty their Granache and especially Barbera are also spectacular.

Jeff Runquist Sangiovese, Tempranillo, and their Estate Zin are wonderful wines that are easy to drink and flavorful. I have never had a bottle of any varietal from Runquist that disappointed.

Baletto 2017 Sexton Hill Pinot, lovely easy to drink wine and for before dinner their Sparkling Brut Rose is hard to beat.

If you have a person who appreciates Chardonnay, then the Chamisal Califa or Edna Valley bottles are worthy wines. Their

54ny77
11-23-2020, 08:32 PM
No more 1966. Lets splurge! Bring us some fresh wine!
The freshest you've got--this year! No more of this old stuff.

pdonk
11-23-2020, 08:47 PM
For festive and a bit different try a lambrusco or a pet nat.

The pet nat will be more, you should be good at 15usd for a lambrusco.

jtakeda
11-23-2020, 08:55 PM
In Northern NJ you’re close to some pretty interesting wines.

I’d look for something made with a Louise Swenson grape for something light (assuming you’re interested in east coast grapes) and if you want red a CA Pinot noir is really outstanding—I’m not sure I can recommend a good one for less than $15.

I’m pretty fond of Oyster River Winegrowers for a cheap wine—they’re based in Maine but distribution should be wide especially out there

texbike
11-23-2020, 09:20 PM
This time of year, I like to drink this sludge with holiday foods.

Texbike

pottshead
11-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Local to us are mostly high octane Zinfandel, so I guess I’ll go with that. Turley is consistently good.

paredown
11-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Another vote for lighter red like Beaujolais.

This was always our tradition, since the Beaujolais Nouveau is released right around this time we would drink that for fun.

AngryScientist
11-24-2020, 07:10 AM

BTW...If you are in $15 land, why did I pour you some of my Brora 30?

JK.

Answer: that juice is best shared...and who knows when I see you again.

I hope you are brining then roasting the turkey on coals. No No NO oven.

The good news is my wine budget in 2020 is substantially up from 2013!

This year also we will have a much smaller gathering, so i'm pretty much the chief wine drinkererer :) - In reality, we would generally have quite a few people over, which calls for multiple bottles, and most people really dont give a darn what they drink. i'll be a little more discerning with a couple good bottles this year for our small feast.

oh man, i have some serious plans for the bird this year, and they definitely do not include the oven!

Nooch
11-24-2020, 07:18 AM
oh man, i have some serious plans for the bird this year, and they definitely do not include the oven!

Oh yeah? Whatcha got?

We were considering smoking our bird this year, as the Traeger has become an oft used appliance during the pandemic, but my hand fisted approach to turkey buying ended up with too big a bird to smoke in a timely manner -- to the oven she goes.

soulspinner
11-24-2020, 07:37 AM
This was always our tradition, since the Beaujolais Nouveau is released right around this time we would drink that for fun.

We still do and I love it...

pdonk
11-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Something like this, from our Thanksgiving….

LouDeeter
11-24-2020, 09:40 AM
We will start pre-dinner with an Alsatian Cremant (sparkling). Any champagne or sparking works to get folks going and it also pairs well with traditional Turkey Thanksgiving. Then, we usually offer either German Mosel Riesling, Kabinett or Spatlese, depending what needs to be opened; or a U.S. Pinot Noir. This year, it will be a Four Graces Reserve Pinot Noir from Oregon. My daughter is bringing a dry-farmed U.S. Chardonnay. We haven't tried Chardonnay with Thanksgiving, so that will make for an interesting choice. Wine is always a big part of the menu for us. My wife puts together the food menu, then she and I discuss the pairings. If you want a good deal on wine, go to this link and order $150 worth of wine and get free shipping plus a $50 discount. So, if you order exactly $150, you will pay $100. Sales Tax will depend on where you live. Some states they don't charge sales tax and it makes for a doubly good deal. And, I get a referral bonus too!! http://share.wineaccess.com/v/Louis

Veloo
11-24-2020, 12:55 PM
Recently it's usually Reisling and Aussie red (Shiraz) but really open to anything. Except champagne and ice wine. Both are gross!

You should check out a doc called Sour Grapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUYuwSRwB8

Ken Robb
11-24-2020, 01:04 PM
We will start pre-dinner with an Alsatian Cremant (sparkling). Any champagne or sparking works to get folks going and it also pairs well with traditional Turkey Thanksgiving. Then, we usually offer either German Mosel Riesling, Kabinett or Spatlese, depending what needs to be opened; or a U.S. Pinot Noir. This year, it will be a Four Graces Reserve Pinot Noir from Oregon. My daughter is bringing a dry-farmed U.S. Chardonnay. We haven't tried Chardonnay with Thanksgiving, so that will make for an interesting choice. Wine is always a big part of the menu for us. My wife puts together the food menu, then she and I discuss the pairings. If you want a good deal on wine, go to this link and order $150 worth of wine and get free shipping plus a $50 discount. So, if you order exactly $150, you will pay $100. Sales Tax will depend on where you live. Some states they don't charge sales tax and it makes for a doubly good deal. And, I get a referral bonus too!! http://share.wineaccess.com/v/Louis

While I usually think a nice pinot noir is perfect with a turkey dinner I have also enjoyed a fairly dry chardonnay too. Leslie and I love BIG reds but I think they overpower roast turkey. BTW, I will happily skip pumpkin pie in favor of some nice port for "dessert".

Ozz
11-24-2020, 01:30 PM
We don't eat meat/pork/poultry in our house....so the menu will be cedar planked king salmon....plus usual thanksgiving sides.

Wine will probably be a Kosta Browne Pinot, or just say 'eff it and open a Quilceda Creek Galitzine Vineyard or Kathryn Hall cabernet....;)

pdmtong
11-24-2020, 08:11 PM
Baletto 2017 Sexton Hill Pinot, lovely easy to drink wine and for before dinner their Sparkling Brut Rose is hard to beat.

how does someone in Wi find out about Baletto?

pdmtong
11-24-2020, 08:12 PM
We don't eat meat/pork/poultry in our house....so the menu will be cedar planked king salmon....plus usual thanksgiving sides.

Wine will probably be a Kosta Browne Pinot, or just say 'eff it and open a Quilceda Creek Galitzine Vineyard or Kathryn Hall cabernet....;)

planked salmon? I'll be over at 3:30...

How does someone in WA find out about KB?

jtakeda
11-24-2020, 09:01 PM
Actually I take back everything I said before
get FLORAL TERRANES --anything.

I think its such a cool concept--might be dumb sounding to you--but theyre in Long Island and their whole thing is "suburban terroir" which is the flavor profile of Long Island, connecting back to LI's agriculture roots.

its super super interesting wine-I love it.

buddybikes
11-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Was this frozen king, couldn't possibly fresh this time of year?

Sounds wonderful, we get it in RI few weeks a year, grab it at any cost. Real (healthy) treat. Fortunately we had our swordfish, haddock and jumbo shrimp delivered this morning. Nice living near the ocean

ORMojo
11-24-2020, 09:24 PM
The good news is my wine budget in 2020 is substantially up from 2013!

Well then, Chateau d'Yquem Sauterne. My favorite holiday poultry wine.

Don't overlook a Rose' - possibly even a sparkling one. Soter Mineral Springs Brut Rose is one of my favorites.

malbecman
11-24-2020, 09:28 PM
I always enjoy a nice Beaujolias Noveau to celebrate the new harvest.:)

cd_davis
11-24-2020, 09:33 PM
Lots of good recommendations from across the country.
Cline of CA has a range of Zins and a medium body red blend that nice.
South of Boston there is a broad selection of Portuguese red blends priced $10-25 that fit the bill . I'm smoking a fresh turkey in a Big Green Egg, so we'll go with something to pair with the stronger taste of a smoked bird. Six possible selections are on the counter. Happy T-day to all and stay safe.

pdmtong
11-24-2020, 10:40 PM
Well then, Chateau d'Yquem Sauterne. My favorite holiday poultry wine.

Don't overlook a Rose' - possibly even a sparkling one. Soter Mineral Springs Brut Rose is one of my favorites.

pls, do not give our $15/bottle mod a cardiac

ORMojo
11-25-2020, 12:29 AM
pls, do not give our $15/bottle mod a cardiac

Hey, he said his budget is "substantially up" so I was just poking at that a bit! In good nature. But it is a damn fine wine.

077XX
11-25-2020, 08:44 AM
Another vote for Beaujolais or any good Gamay!:banana:

pdmtong
11-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Hey, he said his budget is "substantially up" so I was just poking at that a bit! In good nature. But it is a damn fine wine.

it is. just unreal how it delivers year after year even with the hype.

Another one - Louis XIII. I got to try that ONCE.

Brian Cdn
11-25-2020, 03:32 PM
Beer.

Yay

IPA or Pilsner.

cinema
11-25-2020, 08:28 PM
just get a beaujolais cru dont waste money on beaujolais nouveau/villages. morgon fluerie moulie a vent bruily etc. 15-30$. 2015 best year

metalheart
11-26-2020, 06:39 PM
how does someone in Wi find out about Baletto?

Recent transplant to the Northwoods from NorCal. If you ever travel up 50 to Tahoe, it is worth stopping at Lewis Grace. They have some surprisingly good wines....

Morgul Bismark
11-26-2020, 08:54 PM
Back in the mid 90s, I drove up to Napa to visit a couple friends from college. We went wine tasting in the valley. Thankfully since they were local one was the designated driver.

From Napa we headed North up the valley and developed a couple rules:

No Left turns
No stopping if a limo was in the parking lot (likely indicating a large group for a bachelorette party)

With those rules in place we worked our way up the valley on the right hand side of the road, then around St Helena turned around and worked our way back to Napa.

Which brought us to White Hall (our 6th or 7th tasting of the day). By all accounts a very nice winery. During the course of the tasting we were "educated" about all the different food pairings their wine was perfect with.

Being young and a bit late in the day from wine tasting, my friend tells them straight up "This would be a perfect hot dog wine" :banana:

And that concluded our tasting at White Hall. :rolleyes: He wasn't wrong though. :p

Ken Robb
11-26-2020, 10:13 PM
We order a lot of wine from Cameron Hughes because we think he offers nice wines and good value. Tonight we enjoyed a pinot noir from Alexander Valley from him. If you go to his web site and decide to order tell him we sent you because he will then give us a credit to our substantial account. :-) :banana:

jimcav
11-26-2020, 10:26 PM
but since i'm 4-sheets into T-day

I deep fried a turkey and a pinot noir from both Sea Smoke & William Selyems was excellent with main, sides , & dessert

pdmtong
11-26-2020, 11:27 PM
but since i'm 4-sheets into T-day

I deep fried a turkey and a pinot noir from both Sea Smoke & William Selyems was excellent with main, sides , & dessert

Same (producers!)

‘O6 Litton Estate

‘11 Ten

Now on to bourbon ...

phoenix
11-27-2020, 12:39 AM
Pre dinner: Sierra Nevada
Dinner: Petite Syrah
Post overeating: Bourbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimcav
11-27-2020, 12:47 AM
Same (producers!)

‘O6 Litton Estate

‘11 Ten

Now on to bourbon ...

we ended up, for no real reason, opening up various 2016 William Selyems pinot noirs that I have.

we were watching Hamilton on Disney+. Great show, good wine, and wil be thankful to have this year behind us.

Honestly it has been a beautiful day, and is only marred by my heartburn and knowledge of the thousands not here to enjoy it.

verticaldoug
11-27-2020, 08:01 AM
I went with Bollinger because Champagne makes everything better.

jemoryl
11-27-2020, 08:45 AM
We roasted a duck instead of turkey, accompanied by a Walter Scott La Combe Vert Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley, OR and a glass of 10 year old Taylor Fladgate Porto. Both wines very good.

surfbikeswim
11-27-2020, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the referral link. I ordered through it and am looking forward to receiving and tasting the wine. Combining with an Amex Reward of $30 off $100 is even better!