PDA

View Full Version : T&S wheel repair -- removing T&S necessary?

teleguy57
11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
I have a rear wheel I built with a Miche hub for Campy, and because of the flange spacing I wanted to stiffen up the NDS a bit so I tied and soldered the spokes on that side. Never got around to finishing the job on the DS:)

That ends up being a good thing as my rear hanger got bent and ended up with the derailleur in the spokes. Most of the DS spokes got nicked up, and I had one break and replaced it. Now that the second spoke has broken (both both broke where the spoke was nicked) I'm going to replace all the DS spokes.

My plan is to take the tension down on the wheel, then replace the DS spokes one-by-one so as to make the lacing easier. My question is whether I need to remove the T&S on the NDS and then re-do it when the wheel's back up to tension, or if I can leave them as is and just tension and true the wheel as I normally would.

oldpotatoe
11-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I have a rear wheel I built with a Miche hub for Campy, and because of the flange spacing I wanted to stiffen up the NDS a bit so I tied and soldered the spokes on that side. Never got around to finishing the job on the DS:)

That ends up being a good thing as my rear hanger got bent and ended up with the derailleur in the spokes. Most of the DS spokes got nicked up, and I had one break and replaced it. Now that the second spoke has broken (both both broke where the spoke was nicked) I'm going to replace all the DS spokes.

My plan is to take the tension down on the wheel, then replace the DS spokes one-by-one so as to make the lacing easier. My question is whether I need to remove the T&S on the NDS and then re-do it when the wheel's back up to tension, or if I can leave them as is and just tension and true the wheel as I normally would.

No need to remove the T/S, but do take the tension off, before replacing the
RH spokes..

teleguy57
11-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks, Peter -- was waiting for you to add your expertise:)