PDA

View Full Version : road rage, bike vs car

fogrider
11-25-2013, 10:04 PM
+ cops = jail
here (http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/man-arrested-in-road-rage-incident-with-bicyclist/Content?oid=2634966)

Louis
11-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Hmmm, what's more important to me, Prius Rage, or the 25 Hottest Cheerleaders on NFL Sidelines ? Tough call. Or better yet, Kate Upton like I've never seen her before... ;)

professerr
11-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I noticed that the offending driver was driving a Prius. Maybe it is just a string of odd luck, but the last several drivers that have harassed me (just minor stuff like honking unnecessarily right behind you) were driving Prius's. It seemed so odd to me because I figured Prius drivers would be among the least aggressive and most progressive out there. I guess not -- it has become a mainstream car with a normal weighting of angry drivers.

Shortsocks
11-26-2013, 12:10 AM
I drive a leaf. The other day read an article that leaf driver killed a cyclist. (On velo news). I think the driver was 91 though. Which isn't an excuse but still. It's a leaf, not yet mainstream like a Prius, but he didn't leave the scene though.

Agree with above poster though.

ultraman6970
11-26-2013, 03:32 AM
··· is going on with people lately? :(

cfox
11-26-2013, 04:26 AM
I noticed that the offending driver was driving a Prius. Maybe it is just a string of odd luck, but the last several drivers that have harassed me (just minor stuff like honking unnecessarily right behind you) were driving Prius's. It seemed so odd to me because I figured Prius drivers would be among the least aggressive and most progressive out there. I guess not -- it has become a mainstream car with a normal weighting of angry drivers.

You are not alone...this is fast becoming a stereotype. It doesn't surprise me at all, given the few people I know who drive priui (is that the plural of prius?). In my sample size progressive = aggressive.

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
. . . I've noticed this, too, about Prius drivers. Not raging, necessarily, but definitely a bit more oblivious than the norm.

I like the photo the Examiner used--has absolutely NOTHING to do with the story.

BBD

morrisericd
11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
It doesn't have to be a Prius...

Seems like every ride I go on there's an incident. Maybe it's texting, maybe just that everyone's in a rush but it's dangerous out there!

oldpotatoe
11-26-2013, 06:58 AM
I drive a leaf. The other day read an article that leaf driver killed a cyclist. (On velo news). I think the driver was 91 though. Which isn't an excuse but still. It's a leaf, not yet mainstream like a Prius, but he didn't leave the scene though.

Agree with above poster though.

Didn't leave the scene cuz the battery was dead...

AngryScientist
11-26-2013, 07:03 AM
the leaf is straight plug-in electric right?

does it make any noise at all at idle/low speed?

rwsaunders
11-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Every cabbie in Seattle drives a Prius and I wouldn't necessarily call them a group of safe drivers. I wrote it off to the emf field from the hybrid system driving them bonkers over 400,000 miles or so. Come to think of it though, they were just as crazy when the drove Crown Vic's...

oldpotatoe
11-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Just this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlZD3003jk

tuxbailey
11-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Oh the irony, all for the better of the environment.

druptight
11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
I was going to say, I wonder if we're seeing this more because we tend to not move over as quickly when priuses are behind us because we don't hear them. I call these electric cars "silent killers" because you never hear them coming.

MattTuck
11-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I was going to say, I wonder if we're seeing this more because we tend to not move over as quickly when priuses are behind us because we don't hear them. I call these electric cars "silent killers" because you never hear them coming.

SBD. Farts and Priuses.

54ny77
11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
can't even count how many times some a$$wipe in an electric car almost mowed me over in parking lots (with me walking) because: a) i didn't hear their car coming from behind, or in front (with them backing out of their space), or generally coming or going from any direction that with a regular car motor running, i'd otherwise hear it and move outta the way, or b) they didn't have the faintest human courtesy to stop for that split second where i, as pedestrian, am unfortunately de facto in their way BECAUSE I CAN'T HEAR THE DAMNED THING.

yes you out there, the prius-driving &^%$^%$#! of the world, i'd move out of your way like i do with any car coming or going if i could hear it. i fully understand that in the battle of human body vs. car, car always wins, and i get outta the way. those things are deathly quiet at 5-10 mph parking lot speeds. sure, go and touchy feely save the planet, but don't give a damned about human life and having the horror of a second or two delay to get where you absolutely must go.

and last month almost got sideswiped by a prius driver while on bike, while i was riding in bike lane! texting driver, of course, and then got yelled & cursed at by them as i visually and audibly expressed my displeasure with their almost killing me. unbelievable.

rant over. :mad:

csm
11-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Prius.... The "r" is silent.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fogrider
11-26-2013, 11:06 PM

so this gives them the right to run over someone? they can toot the horn...
priuses are not just for forward thinking eco tree huggers anymore, cheapskates that want to save on gas are buying them up.

downtube
11-26-2013, 11:32 PM
can't even count how many times some a$$wipe in an electric car almost mowed me over in parking lots (with me walking) because: a) i didn't hear their car coming from behind, or in front (with them backing out of their space), or generally coming or going from any direction that with a regular car motor running, i'd otherwise hear it and move outta the way, or b) they didn't have the faintest human courtesy to stop for that split second where i, as pedestrian, am unfortunately de facto in their way BECAUSE I CAN'T HEAR THE DAMNED THING.

yes you out there, the prius-driving &^%$^%$#! of the world, i'd move out of your way like i do with any car coming or going if i could hear it. i fully understand that in the battle of human body vs. car, car always wins, and i get outta the way. those things are deathly quiet at 5-10 mph parking lot speeds. sure, go and touchy feely save the planet, but don't give a damned about human life and having the horror of a second or two delay to get where you absolutely must go.

and last month almost got sideswiped by a prius driver while on bike, while i was riding in bike lane! texting driver, of course, and then got yelled & cursed at by them as i visually and audibly expressed my displeasure with their almost killing me. unbelievable.

rant over. :mad:

Maybe they need to place speakers where the exhaust pipe should be and where the engine should be and play real car sounds once someone is in the car. They could give you the choice of vehicle brands. You could sound like a Porsche Turbo one day and a Ferrari V12 the next. At least they wouldn't be so stealth like.
chuck

54ny77
11-26-2013, 11:41 PM
downtube--they already do!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

downtube
11-27-2013, 12:02 AM
downtube--they already do!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

Wow, thanks, it was either that idea or baseball cards in the spokes.:)

54ny77
11-27-2013, 12:12 AM
maybe campy or shimano can engineer a sound in their electronic shifting motors for each gear, with the voice of eddie murphy declaring, for example, "yeah that's 34x28 you mother&^!$$^#!!!!"

or the voice of hal from 2001/2010, "i'm afraid you can't push that gear, dave."

http://dearjesus.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/483_20_hal-2001-a-space-odyssey.jpg

Wow, thanks, it was either that idea or baseball cards in the spokes.:)

downtube
11-27-2013, 12:56 AM
maybe campy or shimano can engineer a sound in their electronic shifting motors for each gear, with the voice of eddie murphy declaring, for example, "yeah that's 34x28 you mother&^!$$^#!!!!"

or the voice of hal from 2001/2010, "i'm afraid you can't push that gear, dave."

http://dearjesus.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/483_20_hal-2001-a-space-odyssey.jpg

I like the way you think, the Hal reference kind of freaked me out a little. Then this popped into my head. Daisy, daisy......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TakqPZu4dEw

19wisconsin64
11-27-2013, 06:44 AM
as much as i hate them from a aesthetic view point, rear view mirrors seem to be needed even more now.

.....sheldon brown used them.....

Mark McM
11-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Scientific study confirms that Prius drives are jerks
(http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/the-rich-drive-differently-a-study-suggests/?_r=3):

"In the San Francisco Bay Area, where the hybrid gas-and-electric-powered Toyota Prius is considered a status symbol among the environmentally conscious, the researchers classified it as a premium model.

'In our higher-status vehicle category, Prius drivers had a higher tendency to commit infractions than most,' Mr. Piff said."

Mark McM
11-27-2013, 09:07 AM
priuses are not just for forward thinking eco tree huggers anymore, cheapskates that want to save on gas are buying them up.

If so, then these cheapskates aren't good at math. You have to drive a lot of miles (and use a lot of gasoline) before the savings in gaso costs covers the extra upfront costs of a hybrid drive. Most hybrid vehicles will never recover the extra costs.

A coworker was quite smug about his purchase of a Toyota Camry Hybrid, until he was asked to figure out how many miles he'd have to drive to save enough money to make up for the cost differential from the standard Camry. He was shocked to found out that, based on his driving patterns, he's actually going to end up losing money.

Vientomas
11-27-2013, 09:30 AM
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155193/thanks