PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice - Mavic CrossMax 26" MTB wheels

Exonerv
11-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey guys...

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of NOS Mavic CrossMax SL (UST) disk 26" wheels for $300 delivered and wondered if I should pull the trigger or wait for something better to come along.

These are actually the same wheels I'm currently running on my Dean Ti soft tail and they're getting the job done. However, I'm relatively new to MTB and don't really know at this point what other comparable options there may be. Still $300 for this wheelset seems like an awfully good value.

I'd welcome any feedback or considerations....

Thanks!

wtex
11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I've got a front non-disk, thing of beauty, wish I had the rear to match it. Great wheels.

kramnnim
11-25-2013, 09:39 PM
They're the 26" version of Ksyrium SLs, right? The freehub design is kind of awful, but thousands of riders have millions of miles on them...and yeah, that's pretty cheap...

Gshock
11-26-2013, 12:44 AM
second that on the free hub...needs to be re-lubed and tightened up regularly. The spokes nipples also tend to become fused to the rim with age...

Exonerv
11-26-2013, 05:52 AM
So, at the $300 price point...could I do better?

What other MTB wheels are known to be very good? I've seen XT hubs/wheels at pretty reasonable prices. Are they comparable to Ultegra road hubs in build quality?

MTB stuff is like learning another language...but that's half the fun.

Mike

dustyrider
11-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Since you're looking at UST, I'm not entirely sure if that's a requirement.
I've never had a desire to run tubeless. thanks to my friend's riding experience, I know all I need to know.
I bought a xt wheelset/ sun rhynolite hoops years ago. road all over the USA, varying types of terrain. Hardtail full squish. Basically replaced the bearings, and a couple spokes, thanks to a stuffed rear mech. Other than that super awesome wheelset. Have some dt350s laced to newer sun rims. Hubs are bomber, rims are soft. Just remember in MTB Xt is all you need!

benb
11-26-2013, 10:06 AM
I've had the Crossmax XLs for years now (disc) with no trouble. Beefier version of the SL. Not sure why I went for XLs.

I've had great success with them tubeless as well.. overall really happy with these wheels.

zap
11-26-2013, 10:57 AM
No problems with my Crossmax Sl for the last 6 years. I use Specialized 2bliss tires with a cup o stans.

One mod you should be aware of. Mavic came out with x pawls that are harder than stock….adds to bearing life. I upgraded mine-easy to do. I'm not sure what year these pawls became standard so do a google search.

Mavic hub quality……lets just say that they are Mavic hubs….so special. Require frequent oil refresh (pawls and that big teflon type bearing) and some may need more than ordinary bearing adjustments.

crossjunkee
11-26-2013, 12:05 PM
That's a good deal on a nice wheelset. Are they the SL's, all black? Or, do they look like the mountain bike version of the Kysrium (silver between spokes?) Either way, great wheels.

Exonerv
11-26-2013, 12:19 PM
26" MTB Silvers...

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-26-2013, 12:25 PM
I have both the X-Rides and the SLs, both disc. I got both recently (had both on the block, no bites, so kept them both), first time using 26" non handbuilts. Time will tell. They sure look cool, though.

wheelio
11-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Great wheels as long as you don't have to tear into the free hub. Mine were fine for one season. Ive now been running Stans Ztr arches for two years with no issues.And they've taken a beating.

John H.
11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
If any of you 26" guys need some rubber, I have a pile of brand new 26" tires.
Look on classifieds or PM me.