PDA

View Full Version : New fork for CX Bike - integrated headset/non-sloping crown

ean10775
11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I need a new fork for my cross bike, which is a 4130 steel frame with a headtube that takes an integrated headset. I'm replacing the carbon fork with a steel one and was planning on just getting the All City Nature Boy fork, but it seems to me I've never seen a flat lugged crowned fork on a bike with an integrated headset - only unicrown forks or forks with sloping crowns. Is there any reason (apart from aesthetic preferences) not to use a fork with a flat crown with an integrated headset? I don't think so, but figured I'd ask since I've never seen one.

11-25-2013, 04:48 PM
I have exactly that fork (on a Nature Boy converted to 120 mm as a winter fixie). It's a stiff fork -- canti's don't begin to flex it. It handles well and is generally really well made. You see them up for sale on eBay because people are upgrading to a carbon fork on their Nature Boys for single speed cross racing. The Nature Boy fork may be a little gothic in some eyes, but I don't think so. The only real proviso is that it's extremely heavy. You'll never damage it, but it definitely is heavy. I wouldn't tell you to worry about it unless you're racing for the podium and you are like 6% body fat. For everyone else, the weight won't make a difference and it's a great fork.